SASS Wire Forum

New/old wet tumbling formula

Shooting Bull

A couple of years ago Yule Lose turned me on to Strat O Sheen to use in my wet tumbler.  It eliminates the need for any sort of media such as stainless steel pins or ceramic stuff.  Ever since then I've mixed it with whatever car wash/wax combo was available.  The wax portion was supposed to leave a thin film on the brass to make it easier to run through the reloading dies.  Well not too long ago I discovered the miracle that is Hornady One Shot.  Using this on my brass is like giving my press an action job.  It's amazing.  It's also redundant.  No need for wax AND One Shot.  For that reason I went back to the old Strat O Sheen + Dawn dish soap combo.  I know this is subjective but I think it gets my brass even cleaner/shinier than wash/wax.  

Why am I telling you this?  Beats the heck out of me.  I'm bored. 

Have a great day.  And if you're shooting this weekend, shoot fast and hit 'em all. B)

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

A couple of years ago Yule Lose turned me on to Strat O Sheen to use in my wet tumbler.  It eliminates the need for any sort of media such as stainless steel pins or ceramic stuff.  Ever since then I've mixed it with whatever car wash/wax combo was available.  The wax portion was supposed to leave a thin film on the brass to make it easier to run through the reloading dies.  Well not too long ago I discovered the miracle that is Hornady One Shot.  Using this on my brass is like giving my press an action job.  It's amazing.  It's also redundant.  No need for wax AND One Shot.  For that reason I went back to the old Strat O Sheen + Dawn dish soap combo.  I know this is subjective but I think it gets my brass even cleaner/shinier than wash/wax.  

Why am I telling you this?  Beats the heck out of me.  I'm bored. 

Have a great day.  And if you're shooting this weekend, shoot fast and hit 'em all. B)

Why do you guys spell my name wrong?:P I’m bored too.

14 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Why do you guys spell my name wrong?:P I’m bored too.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Christmas.

(That's the best excuse I can come up with on short notice. :lol: )

23 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I just mix up my own with 12:1 liquid lanolin and alcohol.  Lots cheaper and does the same thing.

And seems to last forever! 

3 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Y'all are making me want to go out and buy a wet tumbler.

Oh, and me too.

You'll like the Rebel 17!  No need to use the media, just a bit of Lemi Shine, and a dash of Armor All Wash and Wax.

45 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You'll like the Rebel 17!  No need to use the media, just a bit of Lemi Shine, and a dash of Armor All Wash and Wax.

Hey now.  This whole thread is about NOT using that. :lol:

28 minutes ago, Grey Dog said:

Been thinking about wet tumbling but I can’t get past spending time to deprime…. Then again I might not be bored

Why would you deprime? That’s what the depriming pin is for on your sizing die. I’ve been wet tumbling for years and haven’t deprimed more than a couple of hundred cases.

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

Where do you buy lanolin?

kR

This is one of the cheapest I found on a Google search, Amazon has it and some Drug stores as well as Walmart, just get liquid. 1 oz. Of lanolin to a 12 oz. Bottle of HEET.. the red bottle is like 99% alcohol.

https://m.pipingrock.com/lanolin/liquid-lanolin-pure-4-fl-oz-118-ml-bottle-39700?prd=17cfbc67&prisp=1&_slang=eng&_scurr=USD&gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCNYDT31Q8Cuhf6WWdk1KJituPAUCc1GtbTorMZUyWQi4pQHFCecEeBoChUMQAvD_BwE

This is identical to Dillon lube, just put it in a spray bottle. When I bought my HEET, it was a 3 pack for a few bucks.

11 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Why would you deprime? That’s what the depriming pin is for on your sizing die. I’ve been wet tumbling for years and haven’t deprimed more than a couple of hundred cases.

I de-prime anything that I shoot with blackpowder.  I didn't see the need for it until primers were getting hard to seat -- I found out there was some build-up inside the primer pocket.  De-priming before tumbling is time consuming, but in my case it was worth it.  No need to de-prime anything shot with smokeless powder, though.

I have an extra tool-head with a universal deprime die that I stick on the Dillon 650 and deprime all my brass before tumbling. And I wet tumble with ceramic media.

Been doing it this way for a lot of years. Works for me , and will continue. Different strokes for different folks.:lol:

I am down to only loading one thing in any large amount , 44 Spec.

Rex :D

On 5/5/2022 at 4:58 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I just mix up my own with 12:1 liquid lanolin and alcohol.  Lots cheaper and does the same thing.

I'm a big fan of Hornady One Shot as well. I load big batches (500-1000rds) of 308 Match ammo...on a single stage press and manually weigh each powder charge.

That takes a lot of time, so the Hornady One Shot helps me shave some time off the process. 

I'm running Dillon carbide 308 Winchester dies and with Hornady One Shot, just like Shooting Bull, it feels like my press got an action job. 

2 minutes ago, ptmn said:

I'm a big fan of Hornady One Shot as well. I load big batches (500-1000rds) of 308 Match ammo...on a single stage press and manually weigh each powder charge.

That takes a lot of time, so the Hornady One Shot helps me shave some time off the process. 

I'm running Dillon carbide 308 Winchester dies and with Hornady One Shot, just like Shooting Bull, it feels like my press got an action job. 

:FlagAm: Ditto from my camp

In my 50 years of reloading one of the best things I found is the Redding Dual ring carbide sizer die! You won't believe how much easier your Dillon is to operate and the life span of your brass! The die is not cheap but worth every dime and you won't need a shot of any kind of lube! V.D. And wanted to add that it has really helped cut down on the blow by in my 45 LC, the 73 stays a lot  cleaner.

Doc, I'm using the same Hornady One Shot aerosol can. I just toss my 308 cases in a Ziploc bag, spray it, shake the bag, give it one more spray and shake, let it sit for few minutes, then start running them through my sizer. 

I've used it on pistol cases even though I'm running carbide dies. Makes the sizing process purr like a kitten. Or in Shooting Bull's words, gives the press an action job.

4 hours ago, Doc Altman SASS#74468 said:

Which Hornady One Shot product are you all using?

(Inquiring minds want to know.)

I use the aerosol version on some of my rifle brass but I've never tried it on pistol cases.

The aerosol Case Lube

Hornady One Shot Case Lube, 10 oz / 14 fl oz – Aerosol Dry Lube, with  DynaGlide Plus –

On 5/5/2022 at 2:28 PM, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Y'all are making me want to go out and buy a wet tumbler.

I wouldn't ever go back to a dry tumbler (except maybe to wash lube off loaded BAMM ammo --BAMMO?). I'm not as frugal *cough* CHEAP as I used to be, so I've been buying the frankford arsenal brass warshin' packs. It's like the same thing you drop in your dishwasher or washing machine. Don't eat em'!

Anywho, wet tumblin' with these packs is great, and you can warsh lotsa brass with one pack. I've been wet tumblin' for almost three years, and I've not yet gone through an entire bag of these packs. I just rinse the cases real good after a tumble (no pins), then lay them out to dry on a towel. The Arizona heat takes care of the rest.

Has anyone found where to but the One Shot a little cheaper.  It's $15-$16 dollars at sportsmans warehouse. I've looked online before withno luck. Does the alcohol lanolin mix work similarly?  The one shot doesn't contaminate powder if some spray gets in the case beforehand. 

Midway USA has it at $11.99. Shipping is an issue unless you spend $50.

I have been using One Shot for more than a decade.

Spray a little in a quart storage bag and throw in cases.  Shake a little and load.

Never had a problem with primers going bang and powder throwing the bullet out of the barrel.

I spread the cases out on a cookie sheet to inspect them. Make sure there are no .357s in my .38s or .45s in my 44-40s. Then I give them a light spray. While they are drying I load my primer tubes and fill the powder hopper.

Be sure to shake the can well before using otherwise the contents separate and you will get less than harmonious results.

1 hour ago, Nasty Nels said:

Midway USA has it at $11.99. Shipping is an issue unless you spend $50.

I have been using One Shot for more than a decade.

Spray a little in a quart storage bag and throw in cases.  Shake a little and load.

Never had a problem with primers going bang and powder throwing the bullet out of the barrel.

Yes. I've been using it for years but it's increased to $15.99 for a 5oz can recently. I just ordered 3 10oz cans through midway for $17.99 a can with the free shipping plus tax. I'm set for a while. Thanks.

14 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Has anyone found where to but the One Shot a little cheaper.  It's $15-$16 dollars at sportsmans warehouse. I've looked online before withno luck. Does the alcohol lanolin mix work similarly?  The one shot doesn't contaminate powder if some spray gets in the case beforehand. 

Sorry, can't help you with the price.  But I can tell you it dries completely therefore you'll have no worries about it contaminating your powder. 

13 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Yes. I've been using it for years but it's increased to $15.99 for a 5oz can recently. I just ordered 3 10oz cans through midway for $17.99 a can with the free shipping plus tax. I'm set for a while. Thanks.

Tnx for the lead. I also ordered three  cans. I've found nothing that works better and is non-contaminating.

I dump my clean brass in an ammocan, spray liberally with Oneshot, then close and shake the can. Give it a replay, let sit for about 5 minutes, then load away. Between this and @Yul Lose's advice, it works really well.

Archived