SASS Wire Forum

How to Ship Guns?

Checotah

Have decided to sell some guns but am unclear as to how to ship and would appreciate some advice.

First, I know they need to be shipped to the buyer’s FFL.  I think (but need confirmation) that I can ship directly using one of the carriers (USPS, UPS, FedEx), which one is best?  Any specific steps, preparations, or cautions?

Second, where can I get boxes/containers for long guns?  I have original boxes for pistols.

Anything else I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

PS I tried searching for this topic but was unsucessful…

Long guns can be shipped via USPS or any other carrier, to an FFL.  If the receiving FFL will accept firearms from an individual, usually a copy of the sender's driver's license is needed.   As far as handguns are concerned, USPS only allows FFL to FFL transfers.  Individuals must use a private carrier such as UPS or Fed Ex.  I have used all three methods in the past and can't really say that I encountered any problems, although others on this site have.  All of the carriers mentioned above have information on their web sites regarding shipping of firearms. 

As far as boxes go, there are web sites such as uline.com and Amazon e.g. that sell them.  The long guns I have shipped in the past were in double boxes, as I had original or other model boxes.  Apart from wrapping the firearms in plastic or cloth the outer box was filled with packing material so that the interior box could not shift. 

Also Some FFL's will only accept guns from another FFL.  You need to check with the receiver before you ship.

A  lesson I learned the hard was is that the little mailbox stores usually found in strip malls are independent franchises.  That means they may or may not follow the major carrier's rules.  UPS will ship firearms but the little UPS store that's less than five minutes from me won't.  I have to go to the main UPS hub to ship. Best to call before you go. 

59 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr, SASS #14478 Life said:

When did FedX change their policy? 

41 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

When did FedX change their policy? 

Earliest references I'm finding are reports in the wild on September 8th, 2021. Here is one of them:

https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/121060-fedex-will-only-ship-firearms-if-you-have-an-account-and-jump-hoops/

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

Earliest references I'm finding are reports in the wild on September 8th, 2021. Here is one of them:

https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/121060-fedex-will-only-ship-firearms-if-you-have-an-account-and-jump-hoops/

FedX has had many guns disappear too.

Think this is more of a CYA deal.

Pistols I give to FFL, pay his fee plus the flat rate usps box. Usually around $50

long guns I mail usps to FFL. (Can mail direct if in same state) I break gun down. Get old soft gun case, cut in 1/2. Put gun in. Find box that is close, box it up, adding packing as needed. Tape securely. In our shop we have the 1’ wide “saran wrap” on a spool. I wrap the whole package. I sent a shotgun Tx to Indiana last week. 10lbs 2 oz. (5 lbs was tape & packing!) total with $1000 insurance was 50.75. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

...long guns I mail usps to FFL. (Can mail direct if in same state) I break gun down...

I would always recommend taking the stock off a rifle if you can. Might make packing a bit trickier, but I've seen too many rifles with cracked stocks, usually at the wrist, even in factory double-box packing.   Once saw tire tracks on the box.

9 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I would always recommend taking the stock off a rifle if you can. Might make packing a bit trickier, but I've seen too many rifles with cracked stocks, usually at the wrist, even in factory double-box packing.   Once saw tire tracks on the box.

Yes, I always break them down as much as practical 

I also use ship my guns.

I recommend shipmygun.com. They have an agreement that allows you to ship your firearm second day air vs next day air, which is a significant savings. The only kicker is the FFL you are sending it to has to sign up with shipmygun (a service of Bud's Gun Shop) If the FFL refuses to to do so, you're stuck shipping the gun next day air.

UPS does require that all firearms go directly to a hub and not through a partner. Can you use the UPS Store, or Ace Hardware outlets? It is against their policy to do so, but as long as the gun is already boxed up and has a pre-paid label and you don't declare it as a firearm, they will ship it. The huge downside to that is the problems that arise when the package is lost or damaged and you didn't disclose what was inside. Is saving a few dollars worth that heartburn?

Archived