SASS Wire Forum

I do LOVE the Colt Conversions...

Tuolumne Lawman 6127

1 minute ago, Tuolumne Lawman 6127 said:

Type one has a conversion ring mounted floating firing pin and rear sight on the conversion ring.  Type II has hammer mounted firing pin and rear sight notch on hammer like 1860 C&B

Thanks, those are Type Ones.

11 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

AFF 1861 Richards conversions in .38 Colt/Spl.
What's the difference between a Type 1 and a Type 2?
(No info from seller when purchased)
Added Tru-Ivory grips.

Additional info posted on THIS THREAD from 2020.

WOW, those sure are pretty. The Tru-Ivory grips look amazing. 

On 5/21/2022 at 11:08 PM, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

A Conversion Ring, or Breech Plate was screwed to the rear of the frame to take up the empty space on the cylinders where the nipples had been.

pnk0gELSj

I'm not seeing the screws that hold the ring on, and I'm curious as to what was involved in attaching the conversion ring. I have a pair of first Gen Uberti open tops in 45 Schofield, fun to shoot.

417599088_45SchofieldRevolvers.thumb.jpg.9f3d1a4e610194b506e8e10208dd48ad.jpg

BB

On 5/9/2022 at 10:37 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Well, TL, getting to shoot neat guns and then having to send them back is okay, but it will be nice to have some to hang on to.  Conversions are the coolest guns for those of us too lazy for percussion. :)

I just added magnatusk grips from arizona custom grips to some of mine:

'60 (with Navy grips), '61, '51

AZCustomGrips6.jpg

!860 Richards Type II  - 44 or 45

1861  Richards Type II  -..38

1851  Richards Mason - .38

?????????

Correct!  The '60 is a .44, smokeless Specials and BP Russians.  I changed it to a Navy grip.  I just purchased a nickled match to the '51, awaiting shipping.

Not my main match guns but these are my favorites, the grips are Arizona 2 piece grips, not a nice as a one piece but Uberti screws are soft and I don’t like to remove them just to clean under the grips

08EF861A-B23F-4DDE-B892-0E4AEA0BE5E4.jpeg

887AA7F9-C836-4B27-B189-815157B9855C.jpeg

13 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Not my main match guns but these are my favorites, the grips are Arizona 2 piece grips, not a nice as a one piece but Uberti screws are soft and I don’t like to remove them just to clean under the grips

Beautiful leather as well.

The leather was from a woman in Ga called Purdy Leather, she did amazing leather work but she has stopped doing custom holsters which is a great loss, I may have actually got the last couple of sets she made

1 minute ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

The leather was from a woman in Ga called Purdy Leather, she did amazing leather work but she has stopped doing custom holsters which is a great loss, I may have actually got the last couple of sets she made

https://purdygear.com/  She has not completely shut down - worth a visit and to read current conditions of operation and browse through excellent leather goods.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Do any of the reproductions have the rear sight on the conversion ring ? And would it be asking too much to get the army grip on it also 

Rear sight on the conversion ring makes it a Type I Richards.  Armi-San-Marcos is the only one to make them (other than individual gunsmiths) over 20 years ago, and quality on many was not good.  There are plenty of posts about that here and there.  Every Uberti 1860 Richards-Mason and 1860 Type II conversion comes with Army grip.  Only the 1851 Richards-Mason comes with a Navy grip.  1871-72 Opentops come with both Army and Navy grips.

I added another to the stable.  This nickled '51 conversion was on the SASS Classifieds for an entire hour before I spotted it and bought it.  I smoothed it up, swapped the wood grip on it for the magnatusk grip that was on the '61 conversion, and it will get paired up with the blued '51 starting next weekend.

Nickle RM 2 small.jpg

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I added another to the stable.  This nickled '51 conversion was on the SASS Classifieds for an entire hour before I spotted it and bought it.  I smoothed it up, swapped the wood grip on it for the magnatusk grip that was on the '61 conversion, and it will get paired up with the blued '51 starting next weekend.

Nickle RM 2 small.jpg

Sweetie!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 5:06 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

Beautiful leather as well.

Oh now THOSE are some custom grips i can get behind. I'm normally not a fan of anything other than plain walnut on anything, but french curve engraving does look mighty fine in that distressed color tone.

On 6/1/2022 at 8:37 PM, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Who did the Leather?

Archived