SASS Wire Forum

Brownells vs Midway vs Natchez

Prices  for everything but especially primers is way up, we all know that.  Looking at the websites of the larger suppliers shows quite a difference in price.  As I write this, Natchez still has Federal Match small magnum primers for $114.99/K, with a limit of 10K.  They have had these in stock for 4 days straight now which is interesting, since nobody else has any.  Comparing this price with the price listed by those who are out of stock: Brownells is $99.99/K and Midway is $89.99.  Since those prices are obviously way higher than they were in the past, they have obviously already been raised.  But is that just the price the last time they had them, or the price when they get more?  Because there is a pretty big difference between $89.99 and $114.99.  (Just FYI, listed prices for non-match Federals is about $10 less).  I wonder if the reason Natchez still has them is because of the high price.  I would assume so.  I know I am tempted every time I see them, but the CCI small rifle I bought will last me at least 6 months and so I resist.  Just making observations.

BTW, regarding prices, BP (Before Pandemic) I bought my AA LNLR shotshells at Walmart for $7.97.  I have not seen any in stock for a very long time, though some of the heavier AA's are showing up.  But I have noticed that the price tag for them is on the shelf and is now $12.97.  The price listed on various websites (which are out of stock) is even higher.  I'm very glad I got back to reloading smokeless.

I think that at $89.99, there is still a lot of price gouging going on.  Federal announced that they were raising prices 5-15%.  Two years ago, we were paying about $35/K.  I can do simple math.

Something to think about.

You say you have 6 months worth of primers in your stock.

You plan to wait an see.

The problem to consider is the price will most likely go up and up over the next 6 months.

If you find a deal you can live with now or next week, you should invest in more primers.

Chances are you will pay less now for primers then 6 months from now.

$89 while out of stock.

But what will it be went it is back in stock.

That's the only way to compare. 

Price will probably go up when they get some more in. 

I believe these prices are examples of getting profits when the getting is good. Sportsman's Warehouse (when in stock) is selling Federal LPP at $5.99 per hundred. When the panic buying is over and the supply chain fills again, the prices will drop back into the $40 range. I don't think it's Federal, Winchester, CCI that's making the money. I think its Midway, Brownells, etc, that is inflating the price because the market will bear it currently. When places like SW has them sitting on the shelf at $59.99 the prices will fall at the rest of them and then it will be a race to the bottom to keep folks walking in the door.

What Cholla said^^^^^^

I hope ;)

Thank GunBroker for letting them know what people will pay.:unsure:

All I can say is that for the past 30 years I've bought primers from 2 local suppliers... If I'm going to pay these outrageous prices, I'd rather see the profits benefit those folks that have supported me for these many years.  (I don't know where they get their supplies, but they've usually been cheaper than Midway/Brownell's/Natchez or even Sportsman Warehouse...)

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Natchez has large rifle CCI primers available now for $155/1000 or 5 per day maximum for $755 + shipping and hazmat.  That's absurd.

Those are BR2 primers, which I don't know much about except some sort of special duty primers.  Their standard CCI primers are mostly $86.99 (when they have them).  I recently bought 5K of CCI small rifle (not mag) for $500 including tax, hazmat, shipping.

16 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Something to think about.

You say you have 6 months worth of primers in your stock.

You plan to wait an see.

The problem to consider is the price will most likely go up and up over the next 6 months.

If you find a deal you can live with now or next week, you should invest in more primers.

Chances are you will pay less now for primers then 6 months from now.

Yeah, I tell myself that every day when I look at that ad...

I can tell you that cost on a case of small primers right now with an order of more than 25k but less than a 100k is $249 per 5k case, about $50 per thousand. That's not including the haz-mat fee.

JEL

Well, at least some ammo has come back to more normal prices.  I was in a Rural King the other day and they had 9mm ammo for $16 per box (50) and .223 for $12 per box.  A wooden case of surplus 7.62x39 ammo was $600 something and quick math looked like it was about .50 per round.  Certainly not as cheap as it used to be, but better than the $1+ per round of a few months ago.  No limit and there was a LOT on the shelves.

OTOH, I also stopped in a local gun store.  A lot more variety of ammo, but MUCH higher prices and not as large a quantity of ammo.  At least not on the shelves.

No reloading supplies at either place.

Angus

25 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

I can tell you that cost on a case of small primers right now with an order of more than 25k but less than a 100k is $249 per 5k case, about $50 per thousand. That's not including the haz-mat fee.

JEL

From who??

1 hour ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

From who??

Dealer disturbutor. No private sales,  but it's wholesale prices. 

4 hours ago, Cholla said:

I believe these prices are examples of getting profits when the getting is good. Sportsman's Warehouse (when in stock) is selling Federal LPP at $5.99 per hundred. When the panic buying is over and the supply chain fills again, the prices will drop back into the $40 range. I don't think it's Federal, Winchester, CCI that's making the money. I think its Midway, Brownells, etc, that is inflating the price because the market will bear it currently. When places like SW has them sitting on the shelf at $59.99 the prices will fall at the rest of them and then it will be a race to the bottom to keep folks walking in the door.

Econ 101:  The law of supply and demand.

9 hours ago, Cholla said:

I’m actually surprised prices aren’t higher . Allot of retailers will keep raising prices on high demand items til it actually sits on the shelf for a week before it sells out . 
Things do seem to be steadily improving in the supply chain for guns , ammo and components. Barring the next civil unrest or plandemic 

I don’t know that there is any price gouging based on how my business and other trades and industries fare. I have not seen any substantiated claims. It is all conjecture. 

Material prices are ridiculous. Labor costs are ridiculous. Material availability is ridiculous. All three drive prices up. Ban import of Wolf and Tula primers, kill manufacturing in the US and abroad for a couple of years  over a virus scare and what do you expect, prices to return to “normal”? It’s everything good and commodity right now…..Heck, pork baby back ribs have been running $28 a rack here. Guess who’s buying those and not *ichin about it? Those that fill out the right paperwork make the right claims and don’t actually pay for it.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:51 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I think that at $89.99, there is still a lot of price gouging going on.  Federal announced that they were raising prices 5-15%.  Two years ago, we were paying about $35/K.  I can do simple math.

My suppliers show our wholesale cost between $58-68.  They don’t have any for me, of course, but if I needed primers? I’d buy whatever I needed for $90 or less. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Dollar cash averaging...

Archived