SASS Wire Forum

That's Just Grate

Subdeacon Joe

You can tell the age of our members. Not one asked "what's an album?"

3 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Many of them know, believe it or not.  A lot of current artists are releasing on vinyl, too.

Yep. My youngest daughter not only “ borrowed” a bunch of vinyl from me and Mrs. Doc, she buys new when she can. It still seems to be a bit of an audiophile niche though.

12 hours ago, DocWard said:

Yep. My youngest daughter not only “ borrowed” a bunch of vinyl from me and Mrs. Doc, she buys new when she can. It still seems to be a bit of an audiophile niche though.

My eldest niece was a percussionist in the band starting in junior high (she started actually playing with the orchestra late in the 7th grade and marched starting in the 8th) and I'll never forget the day she asked me if I'd ever heard of John Bonham.:huh:

Emory is still not letting family in the hospital with patients and my Dad had a follow up visit last week, so I had 4 hours to kill in Druid Hills.  There's a for real, old school record shop a few blocks from campus.  Home made wooden fixtures on plywood and 2x4 tables that were covered in band stickers, stacks and stacks of vinyl in milk crates, ... even a couple of old hippie looking guys with ponytails and a receding hairlines behind the counter.  I thought that I'd stepped out of Mr Peabody's Way Back Machine for a second or two.

43 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

My eldest niece was a percussionist in the band starting in junior high (she started actually playing with the orchestra late in the 7th grade and marched starting in the 8th) and I'll never forget the day she asked me if I'd ever heard of John Bonham.:huh:

Emory is still not letting family in the hospital with patients and my Dad had a follow up visit last week, so I had 4 hours to kill in Druid Hills.  There's a for real, old school record shop a few blocks from campus.  Home made wooden fixtures on plywood and 2x4 tables that were covered in band stickers, stacks and stacks of vinyl in milk crates, ... even a couple of old hippie looking guys with ponytails and a receding hairlines behind the counter.  I thought that I'd stepped out of Mr Peabody's Way Back Machine for a second or two.

My guess is when she asked, you did a little dance inside! My daughters have known who Led Zeppelin was very early on. I would sing Bron-Y-Aur Stomp to them while they were still in the womb. My youngest daughter has convinced me to at some point get matching tattoos, with a sprig from a Rowan tree and the words "Like a leaf is to a tree" surrounding it. It is just a matter of when. She also once told a guy to leave a party because he said he was a huge Zeppelin fan, and his favorite Led Zeppelin song was Stairway to Heaven. To this day she insists that if it is your favorite, then you know very little of their music. I tend to agree with her. Her favorite is Tangerine, mine is Since I've Been Loving You, Mrs. Doc's is Fool in the Rain, and my oldest daughter's is a toss up between No Quarter and Battle of Evermore (she is a huge Tolkien fan, go figure). At any rate, yeah, I still recall my youngest daughter (who was also in marching band into college) talking about Bonham and "polyrythmic beats" and me needing to go look it up... Sorry, I can talk Led Zeppelin (and Rush) for hours on end.

There are a couple of the stores you describe within driving distance of us, and I consider them a treasure.

8 hours ago, DocWard said:

My guess is when she asked, you did a little dance inside! My daughters have known who Led Zeppelin was very early on. I would sing Bron-Y-Aur Stomp to them while they were still in the womb. My youngest daughter has convinced me to at some point get matching tattoos, with a sprig from a Rowan tree and the words "Like a leaf is to a tree" surrounding it. It is just a matter of when. She also once told a guy to leave a party because he said he was a huge Zeppelin fan, and his favorite Led Zeppelin song was Stairway to Heaven. To this day she insists that if it is your favorite, then you know very little of their music. I tend to agree with her. Her favorite is Tangerine, mine is Since I've Been Loving You, Mrs. Doc's is Fool in the Rain, and my oldest daughter's is a toss up between No Quarter and Battle of Evermore (she is a huge Tolkien fan, go figure). At any rate, yeah, I still recall my youngest daughter (who was also in marching band into college) talking about Bonham and "polyrythmic beats" and me needing to go look it up... Sorry, I can talk Led Zeppelin (and Rush) for hours on end.

There are a couple of the stores you describe within driving distance of us, and I consider them a treasure.

I'm not a Zeppelin fan. 

I mumbled the lyrics to Howlin' Wolf songs to her and her sister when they were grumpy babies fighting sleep ('Sittin' On Top of the World' got a smile and usually worked).

Bonham was an unbelievably gifted musician.  You don't have to be a Zep fan to recognize that.

My mom always bought a big hunk of Romano cheese and grated it and put it in a tupperware container in the fridge. It's soooo much better than the grated stuff from Kraft etc.

I still have that grater but I honestly never thought of taking a picture of the inside!:P It is pretty cool though!

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I'm not a Zeppelin fan. 

I mumbled the lyrics to Howlin' Wolf songs to her and her sister when they were grumpy babies fighting sleep ('Sittin' On Top of the World' got a smile and usually worked).

Bonham was an unbelievably gifted musician.  You don't have to be a Zep fan to recognize that.

Howlin’ Wolf? You know good music, regardless. One need not be a Zeppelin fan for that! 

And yes, yes he was.

10 hours ago, DocWard said:

If you get st Louis hit the u city loop. Vintage vinyl and blueberry hill.. also a couple great venues down the street.

10 hours ago, DocWard said:

Howlin’ Wolf? You know good music, regardless.

Look at the top of my sig line.

Willie Dixon was a song writing genius that was hugely influential on modern music.  And nobody knows who he is.

24 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Willie Dixon was a song writing genius that was hugely influential on modern music.  And nobody knows who he is.

People who know music know. Sort of like your average person, heck, even your average gun owner, doesn't know Eugene Stoner. But those who know firearms do.

22 minutes ago, DocWard said:

People who know music know. Sort of like your average person, heck, even your average gun owner, doesn't know Eugene Stoner. But those who know firearms do.

The only Stoner I ever liked!

Archived