SASS Wire Forum

Quite a Colt

DocWard

I have a hard time believing the story and yet be in the condition it's in.

7 hours ago, Cholla said:

I have a hard time believing the story and yet be in the condition it's in.

I agree, and I think the gentleman who was approached by the family was quite dubious as well. Anyone would be. Or should be. It's one of those "Yeah, right..." sort of things. But it does seem to add up.

Just looked up the sales price of ser. nos. 1 and 2.  No. 1 sold in 2008, approx. for $830,000, while ser. no. 2 went for $161,000 in 2018.  There's a You Tube video on no. 2, which was sold at an RIA auction.  Condition is less than the one shown above as it was stripped of finish and nickeled.  The barrel was cut down to 5 1/2 ".  There's a Henry Nettleton inspected Colt in the video, which looks even better than the one above.

12 hours ago, DocWard said:

I agree, and I think the gentleman who was approached by the family was quite dubious as well. Anyone would be. Or should be. It's one of those "Yeah, right..." sort of things. But it does seem to add up.

Being In this area I dont , there are more  Not in this condition though  Rumors of weapons removed by Natives have been around for a long time , to the point of expeditions looking for a hidden cache 

ive thought that all of the surviving weapons had been accounted for and documented , i may well be wrong , 

i know the indians took some - doubt those would be in that condition today , but hey whatever , 

Archived