SASS Wire Forum

Mickey D's

I went to McDonald's yesterday for a quick lunch, yea right! They were short staffed as usual and you HAD to order on the kiosk. There was 3 of them. I got a chicken sandwich med fries and a drink with no problem, paid with my credit card. The guy behind me was an hispanic guy and didn't speak very good english. He was so confused. I tried to tell him what to do but he wasn't understanding me. I asked the clerk behind the counter if she could help this guy. She came out from behind the counter and helped him with his order. Nice girl! The manager was telling everyone you HAVE to order through the kiosk!!! Several people walked out!

That's it end of story. So much for FAST food!:o

IMO it's not going to change until this recession turns into a depression. People don't want that $15/hr job. I stopped eating at one restaurant because they required me to use a machine at the booth to order and check out. I looked at the receipt and there was a charge for playing some stupid game on the machine, which I didn't do. Old fashioned service is getting harder to find.

No personal interaction with ordering.

No monetary transaction.

Simple.

I will  also not use self check out in a store.

Until I can have personal robot that does my shopping for me I refuse to use technology that I have to go to them to use.

Stopped at Mac's up here B4 we moved here at about 10:30 pm. 3 people working. Ellie started her order, the nimrod say's Whoa, one thing at a time. She got her burger, by the time she finished it her fries were ready, then the drink! Same scenario for me, one item at a time. The line started to build and they were obviously getting nervous! Ate mine one part at a time while still at the counter as well. He got impatient when we wanted to pay and leave.. "one thing at a time he say's."

As we were finally leaving, in pulls 2 buses of soccer kids after their game. If it wasn't so late we'd of stayed for the show! You can't make this stuff up.:D

They Started the kiosk thing at McDs here about 5 years ago. To keep from having to have cashiers, they had several employees at the kiosk to help the customer. Now of course, that wasn't going to reduce the number of employees, YET. But even I could see that that was where it was leading. 

However, when the Zombie Apocalypse hit, that all stopped. I'm sure that they're bringing them back now that the "All Clear" seems to have been sounded in most places. 

As for self checkouts, I refuse to do so. The store are paying people to run registers, why should I for free? If they were to offer a 5% discount to do it myself, I'd be all over it. Until they do, I won't. Some of the Walmart grocery stores here have already gone to ALL self checkout. I refuse to shop there, and I've told the managers at these stores, and went as far as to make THEM check me out by threatening to leave a basket of groceries and walk out of the store.    

I use the self checkout at the grocery store quite often. I'm out everyday and I go to the store 3-4 times a week and rarely pick up more than 4-5 items at a time. (I'm single) The self checkout gets me outta there very quickly instead of waiting in line behind people with. tons of groceries. Even the "less than 12 items" line can get bogged down.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I went to McDonald's yesterday for a quick lunch, yea right! They were short staffed as usual and you HAD to order on the kiosk. There was 3 of them. I got a chicken sandwich med fries and a drink with no problem, paid with my credit card. The guy behind me was an hispanic guy and didn't speak very good english. He was so confused. I tried to tell him what to do but he wasn't understanding me. I asked the clerk behind the counter if she could help this guy. She came out from behind the counter and helped him with his order. Nice girl! The manager was telling everyone you HAVE to order through the kiosk!!! Several people walked out!

That's it end of story. So much for FAST food!:o

That's assuming you consider McD's "food".

I never go in that anti gun dump.  Too many other places sell something to eat.

I worked in grocery stores my entire career,more than 45 years.

For every self checkout register operating in the store, 4 to 5 lose their jobs (depending on their business model).

I refuse to use them.If that is the only option I go somewhere else.

I prefer the kiosk , the self checkout and shopping online, things go much smoother and the orders are almost always correct.  I also don't have to interact with retail employees as much.

A Kreskin prediction within 10 years;

Self serve/self checkout will be the rule.

Cash will not be accepted.

Help will be in the form of smart stations where you type in your question and it shows you where your item is.

Labor elimination;

No crumpy employees

health insurance

vacation

always late or doesn't show up.

Whiney why do I have to work the government owes me.

48 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Help will be in the form of smart stations where you type in your question and it shows you where your item is.

Labor elimination;

No crumpy employees

health insurance

vacation

Unfortunately, I think that you are correct. I don't look forward to that day. It might even come to be that they don't even allow us into the stores, but make us purchase online and pickup at the store. 

39 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Ha!  Reading Terminal in Philly.  Huge silver coffee and tea urns on the counter; everything from soup to roast beef to pie and ice cream, all in their own little glass compartments.  Put in the required coins, twist the knob, and open the door.  Presto!  Used to take the train into the city on most weekends  as a kid; Mom would spring for lunch at H&H.  Guess they were 50 years ahead.

LL

CJ Sabre is right!! If they offer a discount, I’d check myself out, except that you still have to get a checker to approve alcohol purchases and the machines misread the bar codes and are often NOT programmed for current specials/sales!

As to the McDonalds thing, it behooves you to remember that fast food is NEITHER fast nor is it food!!

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

That's assuming you consider McD's "food".

I never go in that anti gun dump.  Too many other places sell something to eat.

To each his own!

14 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

CJ Sabre is right!! If they offer a discount, I’d check myself out, except that you still have to get a checker to approve alcohol purchases and the machines misread the bar codes and are often NOT programmed for current specials/sales!

As to the McDonalds thing, it behooves you to remember that fast food in NEITHER fast nor is it food!!

I beg to differ, it IS food whether it’s good is open to debate!

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

To each his own!

So are rats and possums if you’re willing to eat them.

I’m far more selective as to what I consider to be food!!

31 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

So are rats and possums if you’re willing to eat them.

I’m far more selective as to what I consider to be food!!

My point is it IS food period! Like  I said whether it’s good or you like it is very open to debate but you said it WASN’T food! :blink:

Lots of people eat possum! I don’t know about rats though! :lol:

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I use the self checkout at the grocery store quite often. I'm out everyday and I go to the store 3-4 times a week and rarely pick up more than 4-5 items at a time. (I'm single) The self checkout gets me outta there very quickly instead of waiting in line behind people with. tons of groceries. Even the "less than 12 items" line can get bogged down.

I used to be in the "unless I get a discount I won't use self checkout" group. Lately I am so tired of the incompetence of the younger generation that I have begun to use them. Latest example, had a case of tuna fish (24 cans) @ 79 cents each. Cashier scans the first can and says "your total is 85 cents". My reply "aren't you forgetting something""? Her reply "If you want the senior discount I need to see your ID" My reply "what about the rest of my tuna fish?" Her reply " Oh I have already rung that in" . Took my tuna fish to the self checkout, showed the assist person my receipt for 1 can and rang in the other 23. She called in a manager who said most would just have walked out considering it a good deal but I told her that was dishonest and not who I was. A few comments on the need for additional training for the staff and I was out of there. Would not have been so upsetting but people who take advantage of idiot employees and the idiot employees who enable them are driving up food prices just like a certain occupant of the WH has been doing.

Rant mode off

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Locally several fast food restaurants have closed their dining rooms because of lack of staff.  You have to go through the drive-through.  These places all have help wanted signs in their windows with starting pay at $20.00 an hour.  Yet every street corner still has bums looking for a handout.

15 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Locally several fast food restaurants have closed their dining rooms because of lack of staff.  You have to go through the drive-through.  These places all have help wanted signs in their windows with starting pay at $20.00 an hour.  Yet every street corner still has bums looking for a handout.

I was back in Ohio a month or so ago, and saw the same thing. At 8:00 P.M., NOTHING open except the McDs drive through. I even went to TWO Waffle Houses, expecting THEM to be open, because WH is open 24 hours a day. NOPE!

And the bums looking for a handout want just that, a handout, NOT a hand UP.

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

I used to be in the "unless I get a discount I won't use self checkout" group. Lately I am so tired of the incompetence of the younger generation that I have begun to use them. Latest example, had a case of tuna fish (24 cans) @ 79 cents each. Cashier scans the first can and says "your total is 85 cents". My reply "aren't you forgetting something""? Her reply "If you want the senior discount I need to see your ID" My reply "what about the rest of my tuna fish?" Her reply " Oh I have already rung that in" . Took my tuna fish to the self checkout, showed the assist person my receipt for 1 can and rang in the other 23. She called in a manager who said most would just have walked out considering it a good deal but I told her that was dishonest and not who I was. A few comments on the need for additional training for the staff and I was out of there. Would not have been so upsetting but people who take advantage of idiot employees and the idiot employees who enable them are driving up food prices just like a certain occupant of the WH has been doing.

Rant mode off

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Great job! :)

Best Mcd’s I ate at was in Gillette Wy 3 years ago. No goofy indifferent teens working there. Adults only. The manager and assistant manager brought our orders, sat down and chatted with us. The place was spotless.

11 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Unfortunately, I think that you are correct. I don't look forward to that day. It might even come to be that they don't even allow us into the stores, but make us purchase online and pickup at the store. 

What is thos thing you call "purchase"?  By then the government will just dole everything out and support everyone on fairy- tale cryptocurrency.  Thankfully I'm an old guy!

I see a lot of "I will never use the self-checkout" and yet I was pumping gas when they started having two lanes; one self-pump and one full service. If it meant saving $.40 per tank the self-pump always had someone pumping their own gas. The only time I was pumping gas in the full-service lane was when an older woman came in or someone came in a Soo-Line RR truck and they weren't paying the bill. We have one full-service station by us. It NEVER has business.

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

I see a lot of "I will never use the self-checkout" and yet I was pumping gas when they started having two lanes

Self-service gas is cheaper. They are actually paying me to pump my gas. They don't pay me very much - maybe a nickel a gallon - but they pay me.

HasAS it HAS been mentioned up the thread, if they want me to do a self checkout, they need to pay me. Give me a discount on my groceries or my building supplies or whatever the hell it is I'm buying. But if it costs the same amount to have a cashier ring me up as it does to do it myself - ain't no way in hell.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

Self-service gas is cheaper. They are actually paying me to pump my gas. They don't pay me very much - maybe a nickel a gallon - but they pay me.

HasAS it HAS been mentioned up the thread, if they want me to do a self checkout, they need to pay me. Give me a discount on my groceries or my building supplies or whatever the hell it is I'm buying. But if it costs the same amount to have a cashier ring me up as it does to do it myself - ain't no way in hell.

I can’t remember the last time I saw FULL SERVE!! 

My indifference toward fast food is showing.  l haven't been in a McDonalds in at least 10 years.  No idea what a "Kiosk" is in such a place.  Last time I went, you either yelled your order (repeatedly) at a drive-up box or went inside and dealt with the intellectually challenged working behind the counter.  I have no idea why a business that deals with the public continues to hire employees who cannot speak or understand English, or fails to train their employees in manners, polite conduct or how to take an accurate order and deliver good service.  YouTube is full of videos of fast food employees who with no apparent justification get involved in  fist fights, knife fights and even gun fights with customers.  I'll pass; it's not as if I can't get a decent burger at a civilized restaurant, and probably just as fast as Mickey D's.

LL

On 5/3/2022 at 8:04 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Labor elimination;

No crumpy employees

health insurance

vacation

Walmart is also headed that direction.  Old man Walton would ave a fit if he were still alive.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:50 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

To each his own!

"My own" won't spend a cent in any place that earns its money from me and then spends it on anti gun or any other anti American crap.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

"My own" won't spend a cent in any place that earns its money from me and then spends it on anti gun or any other anti American crap.

I wasnt aware they’re antigun. They don’t have NO Guns signs around here anyway. Could you tell me why they’re antigun? 
I looked up antigun companies and didn’t find them. I did find where they are “gun neutral “ along with many others.

Last time I stopped in at a McDonald's was in Fresno, over a month ago.

Walked in and headed to the loo, only to discover the door locked.  I walked back to the counter and asked the minion behind the register to please unlock the door to the men's room - 

"Sorry.  Restrooms are not for public use."

"Kid - I'm gonna order lunch; I just want to use the facility first."

Yup.  The last time I stopped in at a McDonalds.  Or likely to.  <_<

25 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Last time I stopped in at a McDonald's was in Fresno, over a month ago.

Walked in and headed to the loo, only to discover the door locked.  I walked back to the counter and asked the minion behind the register to please unlock the door to the men's room - 

"Kid - I'm gonna order lunch; I just want to use the facility first."

Yup.  The last time I stopped in at a McDonalds.  Or likely to.  <_<

Because of one ahole ?? Wow!

I would have asked for the manager. All the restaurants are franchises so they get what they can hire but that minion was waaaay out of line!

2 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

We don't eat at chain restaurants or fast food places.  Some of our favorite cafes know what we want before we set down.

Two deliver drinks unasked, and don't bring a menu,  I suppose we're boring, but places to cherish!

Archived