SASS Wire Forum

Rainbow Bridge

Subdeacon Joe

Or...Why is doing the right thing so hard?

We just had our Toy Poodle, April sent over the Rainbow bridge.  She had been coughing a lot for the past month.  Today she was wheezing, gasping, and stretching her neck up to breathe.  At 13 1/2 she was about in the middle of the range of lifespan for Toy Poodles.  She was such a joy, and such a joyful and joyous dog for the past nine years.   

Thanks for all the good times, Little Miss.  You will be greatly missed.

Damn, Joe.  That is heartbreaking news, and we share your loss.  Your mentions of the li'l pup over the years have made her a part of our Saloon family.  :(

41 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So sorry Joe. I have enjoyed your videos of your little dog that you have posted here. :(

13 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Damn, Joe.  That is heartbreaking news, and we share your loss.  Your mentions of the li'l pup over the years have made her a part of our Saloon family.  :(

She was a hoot and a half.  

Since she came with the mobile home when we sort of inherited it this is the first night here without her.  

But she had three years of learning that it was okay for her to be a dog and learning to be a dog, then six years of really enjoying being a dog... learning to play with other dogs, going into water (sort of, never quite got the hang of it), climbing rocks in the park, and ALWAYS chasing tennis balls.

Sorry for your loss.  The memories will overtake the sadness in a little while.  You will catch yourself laughing at some happy episode long after the pain subsides!!

6 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Sorry for your loss.  The memories will overtake the sadness in a little while.  You will catch yourself laughing at some happy episode long after the pain subsides!!

Fortunately we have a dozen or so videos on YouTube that we can enjoy.   Knowing that it was time and we did the right thing...and having the veterinarian confirm it ...helps.

So does the support from the fine people here in the Saloon.

Sorry for your loss Subdeacon.

I know what it's like lose your fur buddies. 

11 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Joe, hardest thing is always doing the right thing when it has to be done. My deepest condolences. 

Amen.  Some of my hardest challenges over the years was helping my dogs cross over.

So sorry to hear this, SDJ.  You have many memories to keep you going, and your pards here for support.

Our sincere condolences Joe, I find as well that it's the hardest thing we do. She will wait for you at the bridge.

Eyesa & Ellie

1 hour ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Truly sorry for your loss. April looks like she was a special pup.

Thanks.  She was special.  Her first owner, an elderly lady, wanted a "purse dog."  So for four years or so she was carried, not allowed to socialize with people or other dogs.   When the lady passed and we inherited April she still had "puppy paws," so soft that running ten feet on the sidewalk caused her feet to bleed.   No muscle tone to speak of, shaking, running around the house.  We spent time teaching her that it was OK for her to be a dog...make that DAWG...and she blossomed.   That video of me using a cane to snag tennis balls - she had been afraid of canes and such, but after about six months of me using one to snag and hit tennis balls she would hold the crook with one paw and snag the ball out of it with another.  

In all the time that we had her, though, she was never brave enough to come right up to me if I was sitting in a chair or standing.  She wanted to, her body language said that, but she could never quite make it.  If I  Lay down on the floor and pat my chest and she came right up to me.  Crawl onto me when I was stretched out on the couch.  Curl up to me in bed.  But not when I was upright.

SDJ,

Tough loss. You have my condolences. Hopefully, those 6 yrs of her "being" a dog created some terrific memories.

My condolences. I say this is the hardest part of having pets. In the last six years I've lost a horse, a cat, and a dog. I expect to see all of the others from my 83 years around here at the Rainbow Bridge.

This is a picture of my current companion.

Wrangler Bob

IMG_0564.JPG

Ann and I send our sincerest condolences on the loss of April.

Like many here in the SALOON, we too have had to bear the loss of a beloved pet.

Snip-it_1651616611754.jpg.5177e8d62a3c9724cf88345ab5a3e949.jpg

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Ann and I send our sincerest condolences on the loss of April.

Like many here in the SALOON, we too have had to bear the loss of a beloved pet.

Snip-it_1651616611754.jpg.5177e8d62a3c9724cf88345ab5a3e949.jpg

:wub::wub::wub:

WOW!

I am so sorry for your loss.  This thread reminded me of the many special canine & feline companions I have had over the last 55 years.  Remembering them has brought tears to my eyes.

A little French Poodle, expressing pure joie de vivre....

Dangit, now I have a bit o' dust in my eyes.  

Archived