SASS Wire Forum

Source For A LeMat Revolver?

David Balthazar

Been looking around and having no luck--plenty of fake websites though and they are quite... pricey...

I feel like the Navy Version is the one I'd like. 

Y'all have any leads?

Thank you!

-DB

Thank you--but was hoping for the Navy and is it really $1400.00 now?  I saw some for 41K previously, but I don't know if the site was legit...

3 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Although that is the Army version.  Yes, they are pricey.  Interestingly, the price for the Navy on Dixie's website is $320 more than the same gun on EMF website.  If I wanted one, I'd put it on back order at EMF.  Since they are owned by Pietta, probably have as good a chance as anybody of getting it from Italy.

Have you ever handled one?  Reviews I've read say they are not very user friendly.

They are in a class of their own. 9- 44 loads and a 20 shotgun barrel included!  Yup, the EMF versions are cheaper than Dixie's, but Dixie actually has them in stock, so not really a fair comparison. Who knows how much EMF LeMats will be when they actually get some.

Just like the originals, a great deal of work and tooling changes goes in to making one. And there was no Army/Navy version in the originals. There were design changes but  it was to make them quicker to manufacture. The $41K version is most likely an authentic LeMat like this one that I did an article on last year.

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

If the Civil war hadn't have happened, the LeMat may very well have been the military sidearm of the US. military instead of the Colt. Fate is fickle.

sn83016483 1859-06-01 1 2 image 681x648 from 2740x6435 to 3705x7354.jpg

sn86058108 1861-01-26 1 1 image 681x648 from 1389x4449 to 2561x5565.jpg

There are a few conversions out there made by John (Glen or Glin), think they were .38sp.  Have not seen one in years.  I have a pair of Pietta Calvary models in .44.  I think the shotgun took a patched .69 round ball.  Been years since I shot them.  They do not handle like Colts or Remington’s.  Their grip is a lot like early flintlock pistols having a slant to them.

Archived