SASS Wire Forum

tales from behind the plate, May 1st

I had to umpiring firsts yesterday:

1- A batted ball to the outfield hit a rabbit that was trying to avoid it.

2- I was on the dish for an "immaculate inning."  This one happens to be the most efficient immaculate inning statistically possible -- 3 pitches, 3 ground balls, 3 outs at first.

24 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

batted ball to the outfield hit a rabbit that was trying to avoid it.

I take it that it's a live ball and the defense just has to deal with it.

29 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I had to umpiring firsts yesterday:

1- A batted ball to the outfield hit a rabbit that was trying to avoid it.

Frown Mad GIF - Frown Mad Angry - Discover & Share GIFs

30 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I take it that it's a live ball and the defense just has to deal with it.

There is a remote rule about a batted ball striking anything that is not part of the field while in fair territory, which we should have invoked.  However, the result of the play was exactly the same based on where the batter-runner ended up.  So we didn't need to.

4 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

There is a remote rule about a batted ball striking anything that is not part of the field while in fair territory, which we should have invoked. 

Huh...I would have thought that critters - rabbits, birds, gophers, etc. would be just part of the field, and the "not part of the field" would be things thrown on the field by fans.  

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Huh...I would have thought that critters - rabbits, birds, gophers, etc. would be just part of the field, and the "not part of the field" would be things thrown on the field by fans.  

The rule says "natural" part of the field; interpretation manuals clarify that means things that are supposed to be there.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

How about kissing bandits?

22 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

2- I was on the dish for an "immaculate inning."  This one happens to be the most efficient immaculate inning statistically possible -- 3 pitches, 3 ground balls, 3 outs at first.

An immaculate inning is nine pitches to three batters, all strikes.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Immaculate_inning

It has occurred 106 times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_pitchers_who_have_thrown_an_immaculate_inning

What you described is a three pitch inning which is recorded to have happened 194 times, but admittedly pitch counts were not always recorded so the list is probably incomplete,

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/3_pitch_inning.shtml

those lists have many of the most memorable pitchers of all time

Archived