Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

tales from behind the plate, May 1st


Recommended Posts

I had to umpiring firsts yesterday:

 

1- A batted ball to the outfield hit a rabbit that was trying to avoid it.

 

2- I was on the dish for an "immaculate inning."  This one happens to be the most efficient immaculate inning statistically possible -- 3 pitches, 3 ground balls, 3 outs at first.

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

batted ball to the outfield hit a rabbit that was trying to avoid it.

 

I take it that it's a live ball and the defense just has to deal with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I had to umpiring firsts yesterday:

 

1- A batted ball to the outfield hit a rabbit that was trying to avoid it.

 

 Frown Mad GIF - Frown Mad Angry - Discover & Share GIFs

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

I take it that it's a live ball and the defense just has to deal with it.

 

There is a remote rule about a batted ball striking anything that is not part of the field while in fair territory, which we should have invoked.  However, the result of the play was exactly the same based on where the batter-runner ended up.  So we didn't need to.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

There is a remote rule about a batted ball striking anything that is not part of the field while in fair territory, which we should have invoked. 

 

Huh...I would have thought that critters - rabbits, birds, gophers, etc. would be just part of the field, and the "not part of the field" would be things thrown on the field by fans.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

Huh...I would have thought that critters - rabbits, birds, gophers, etc. would be just part of the field, and the "not part of the field" would be things thrown on the field by fans.  

The rule says "natural" part of the field; interpretation manuals clarify that means things that are supposed to be there.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

Huh...I would have thought that critters - rabbits, birds, gophers, etc. would be just part of the field, and the "not part of the field" would be things thrown on the field by fans.  

How about kissing bandits?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

 

2- I was on the dish for an "immaculate inning."  This one happens to be the most efficient immaculate inning statistically possible -- 3 pitches, 3 ground balls, 3 outs at first.

An immaculate inning is nine pitches to three batters, all strikes.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Immaculate_inning

It has occurred 106 times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_pitchers_who_have_thrown_an_immaculate_inning

What you described is a three pitch inning which is recorded to have happened 194 times, but admittedly pitch counts were not always recorded so the list is probably incomplete,

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/3_pitch_inning.shtml

 

those lists have many of the most memorable pitchers of all time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.