SASS Wire Forum

Eosinophilic esophagitis anyone???

Cholla

Anyone here suffer from Eosinophilic esophagitis? I have dealt with it since a child. It is my biggest health concern.

I just got chips and salsa caught the other night while dining out. Luckily we were dining on a back courtyard so I was able to walk down the alley and get behind a dumpster to upchuck enough to clear the obstruction. I avoid anything chewy so steak has been off the menu for some time. I am at the point that cereal and milk is the only safe meal. When I was checked two decades ago they said my esophagus was like a stack of washers with the resulting diameter of the size of a pencil. A few times they did the "fid" thing trying to stretch it but the last time I went in the doctor said they no longer stretch as it can cause a fatal tear. They also said I can get cancer. I just sent a message to my VA doctor asking for help. 

I am curious if anyone here has this and what you do to cope or what operation was done to fix it. My wife feels I have a gluten allergy, which may be the case because when I stop eating bread the issue becomes less.

A couple of years ago, while suffering from a severe MRSA infection, I encountered an esophageal construction issue. They did the stretch procedure twice and it eventually cleared up.

As to the gluten possibility, do you only eat gluten-free cereal??

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

A couple of years ago, while suffering from a severe MRSA infection, I encountered an esophageal construction issue. They did the stretch procedure twice and it eventually cleared up.

As to the gluten possibility, do you only eat gluten-free cereal??

I normally don't eat cereal because we have been trying to adhere to Atkins low-carb diet. But there are many corn and rice cereals that I do like when I have them. One of the issues is eating no carbs/wheat when working, especially when I am working on the Navajo Rez.

Gluten allergies are very rare. Your doctor should easily be able to diagnose that.

In the late 90’s I had a problem where food would get lodged in my throat right near the junction of the esophagus and the trachea. Scared the hell out of me when a piece of carrot got lodged there one day. 
Anyway, the doctor did the ablation procedure and it went away, but I feel for you @Cholla

That was no fun at all. I do not recall the name of the condition but I don’t believe it was the same as yours. It hasn’t happened since. 

First start keeping a diary of everything you eat and how your react to it.  Your condition is most often the result of a food allergy.

Second you need to find a new doctor. One that specializes in treating Eosinophilic esophagitis.  

Bear in mind that I am speaking as an EMT, and we deal with prehospital issues, not long term treatments. This is typically an autoimmune disease where white blood cells build up in the esophagus. This is a rare condition, but the couple of times I have been called out for it, they were eating spicy food. Avoiding spicy food or taking antacids may help you. And although I would not recommend steroids on a long term basis, a lot of patients have gotten relief from doctors by taking an oral steroid.

I would recommend seeing your doctor for tests, but in the meantime, try eating a blander diet, avoid alcohol, and take an antacid before a meal. That may give you some relief

Caveat: I am an EMT, not a doctor

Archived