SASS Wire Forum

Who sells aluminum mag tube inserts?

Check with Terri at Online Outpost.     GW

Replacement tubes,  I have not seen since Matt Masterson had them.  We have Alum inserts from Lefty Wheeler and Jimmy Spur.

23 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Replacement tubes,  I have not seen since Matt Masterson had them.  We have Alum inserts from Lefty Wheeler and Jimmy Spur.

I do stainless tube conversions in small and large caliber.

I use the carbon fibre inserts in my rifles. Haven't had any problems with them

357 dia is .440" at the rim and a 32-20 or 32WCF IS .408" .  The tube inserts will work on that caliber.

4 hours ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

This information is for a friend who shoots 32-20.

I use a fiber insert in my 32-20 and it definitely helped with loading the tube.  But I think a thicker aluminum insert would be better.

44 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I use a fiber insert in my 32-20 and it definitely helped with loading the tube.  But I think a thicker aluminum insert would be better.

Used a good share of those also, but, like you, prefer aluminum insert.  Would like to find more of Matt's aluminum magazine tubes too.  I like to cosmetics of them so much I have one tube that I polished blue off to appear as aluminum.

I've heard all kinds of good and bad stories about magazine inserts.  Removing one that has been in place a while can be a challenge.   But has anyone just tried to machine, or have machined, a whole different aluminum mag tube of the correct inside diameter?  Matching a finish could require some creative anodizing or powder coating, but it should perform better than a thin walled tubular insert-- especially re maintenance and rust management.  

Just curious

I sell them as does Lefty Wheeler.  The ones I sell are made by Lefty.  Aluminum insert with stainless follower and spring.

Archived