SASS Wire Forum

Intentional Walks

Subdeacon Joe

Well….kinda. Depends on who’s playing. ;) 

By "intentional walk", you mean the picture is aware that the batter is a good hitter, so he walks him on purpose with four very outside balls, to get him on base because the next guy up can't hit for spit?

Oh yeah. I definitely want him to homer. Either that or the catcher drops the ball on the third strike, and through a comedy of errors the batter makes it all the way around.

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

By "intentional walk", you mean the picture is aware that the batter is a good hitter, so he walks him on purpose with four very outside balls, to get him on base because the next guy up can't hit for spit?

Oh yeah. I definitely want him to homer. Either that or the catcher drops the ball on the third strike, and through a comedy of errors the batter makes it all the way around.

They don’t have to pitch to him any more. They just indicate an intentional walk and he takes 1st base. New rule to speed up the game.

36 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The third strike thing won’t work because first base is occupied. The batter is out on a dropped third strike if first base is occupied.

13 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They don’t have to pitch to him any more. They just indicate an intentional walk and he takes 1st base. New rule to speed up the game.

That rule came in in 2017.  Yeah, surprised me, too.

I want to see it played out!  The strategy of the game is as big a part to me as the athletic performance!!

And I’ve had my pitcher load the bases by walking a good hitter!  Either to get to a weaker hitter or to play for the force at any base.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t!!

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

With runners on second and third and one or two outs, the pitcher will often issue an intentional walk hoping they can get a ground ball out or double play on the next hitter. Useful especially if the pitcher is a low ball pitcher.

Saw a game the other night with one team pulling off five double plays in nine innings. There were also two inning ending putouts at home plate on force outs, one by each team!!  At least one of those came after an intentional walk.

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

That's one way to intentionally walk.  To speed up the game, MLB and every level on down have changed the rules to allow the pitching team's coach or catcher to simply tell the home plate umpire they want to walk the guy.  There is no longer any need to pitch four times.

HOWEVER, the rules added an interesting caveat.  If the defense pitches four balls (intentionally or not), the ball remains live while the batter takes his base.  Thus, if he catches the defense napping, he could attempt a steal.  The defense can also attempt a pick-off at any time when the ball is live.

BUT, if they walk by declaring it to the umpire, he must call "TIME" before awarding the base.  The ball is dead and no playing action can occur until he puts it back into play.  He cannot put it back into play until the batter is in the box, the catcher is in his box, and the pitcher is engaged with the rubber.

If I were king for a day I'd eliminate  intentional walks, designated hitters, and limit a team to 2 pitchers/ game.

Move the hash marks back to the original position in football.

Raise the hoop 2.5' so players have to shoot instead of jump. Yeah slam dunks are fun but the skill set requires height not expertise.

OK yell at me.

37 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

speed up the game, MLB and every level on down have changed the rules to allow the pitching team's coach or catcher to simply tell the home plate umpire they want to walk the guy.  There is no longer any need to pitch four times.

That needs to go away.  Having to make 4 pitches doesn't add much time, and anything can happen during those times pitches....passed ball, wild pitch, even struck batsman.

Archived