SASS Wire Forum

Remember the HMAS Canberra!

This is a long one.

The spring of 1963 I started attending Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ. I lived at home in Fair Lawn, NJ and rode the Erie Lackawanna Bergen County short line from Fair Lawn to Hoboken six days a week to classes. In either my first or second year at Stevens there was a longshoreman strike on the docks in Hoboken. Since I walked from the train station to school along the docks I often encountered these men on picket duty. The men were respectful of foot traffic along the sidewalk and never made my walk uncomfortable. I think they recognized that I was a student and felt no animosity towards me as I walked by.

So it went for a week or so, until one day the largest man I had ever encountered stopped me by pocking me in the chest with his index finger and said, “ Hey kid, what is the capital of Australia?” I stammered, “Uh, Melbourne, Sidney?” He replied “No, it is Canberra, and don’t you forget it.” “No sir,” I responded, not quite sure if I was off the hook or in danger of physical harm. Then he smiled at me and said, “Kid, I just want someone to remember. I served on the USS Canberra, the only ship in the US Navy to be named for a foreign city. Actually it isn’t named for the city it is named for the HMAS Canberra, an Australian Navy ship that was sunk in WWII.” He told me that the Captain of the HMAS Canberra had maneuvered his ship to take torpedos meant for a US Navy Ship, sacrificing the Canberra to save a ship the Captain considered more valuable to the war effort.

I’ve looked up the HMAS Canberra and found this excerpt from an online article:

In August 1942 HMAS Canberra operated with the naval force supporting the American landings at Guadalcanal and Tulagi, operations which ended with her loss in the Battle of Savo Island on 9 August 1942.

Canberra was struck by two torpedoes on her starboard side and over 20 salvoes of 8-inch shellfire. With power lost and the ship listing, the wounded and survivors were transferred to USS Patterson and USS Blue.

Rear Admiral RK Turner USN ordered that Canberra be abandoned and sunk if she could not steam by 06:30. Once all the survivors had been evacuated, and acting in accordance with the orders of Rear Admiral Turner …. Eventually a torpedo fired by USS Ellet administered the final blow. Canberra sank at about 8:00 am on 9 August 1942.

The information presented does not mention such a sacrifice, however, the fact is that there was a USS Canberra and a second US Navy ship was commissioned June 5, 2021 bearing the name Canberra. The unnamed President in the excerpt below is President Donald Trump.

To honor Canberra, the US Navy commissioned the Baltimore Class heavy cruiser, USS Canberra in 1943, the only US Navy ship thus far to be named for a foreign capital. In February 2018, continuing the tradition of honoring HMAS Canberra (I), the President of the United States of America announced that a future Independence class Littoral Combat Ship (LCS 30), will be the second US Navy ship to carry the name USS Canberra.

Obviously I have not forgotten that unknown longshoreman and his story. He made a big impression on me as he turned out to be a gentle giant who honored his country and her allies who sacrificed much for the betterment of the world.

CJ

https://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-canberra-i

1750796613_CanberraColourBoatBadge-1928_0.jpg.724fa8202c52c230fa6c4ed7dc4cc343.jpg

Savo Island on 9 August 1942. This stretch of water is now known as Iron Bottom Sound after 32 Allied ships were sunk there during WWII.

In August 1942 Canberra operated with the naval force supporting the American landings at Guadalcanal and Tulagi, operations which ended with her loss in the Battle of Savo Island on 9 August 1942.

Canberra was struck by two torpedoes on her starboard side and over 20 salvoes of 8-inch shellfire. With power lost and the ship listing, the wounded and survivors were transferred to USS Patterson and USS Blue.

Rear Admiral RK Turner USN ordered that Canberra be abandoned and sunk if she could not steam by 06:30. Once all the survivors had been evacuated, and acting in accordance with the orders of Rear Admiral Turner and Rear Admiral VAC Crutchley, VC, DSC, RN who was officer in tactical command of the combined force of Australian and American cruisers and destroyers at Guadalcanal, USS Selfridge fired 263 5-inch shells and four torpedoes into Canberra, although she refused to sink. Eventually a torpedo fired by USS Ellet administered the final blow. Canberra sank at about 8:00 am on 9 August 1942.

There were 193 casualties amongst the 819 personnel serving in Canberra on 9 August 1942. Missing believed killed were nine officers (including one Royal Australian Air Force and one United States Navy) and 65 ratings (including three Royal Australian Air Force and two Royal Navy); one officer (Captain Getting) and nine ratings (including one Royal Australian Air Force) died of wounds; and 10 officers (including one Royal Navy), 96 ratings (including two Royal Australian Air Force, one Royal Navy and two United States Navy) and three civilian Canteen Staff were wounded.

Note: This video is hosted on YouTube. Department of Defence users will not be able to view this video on the Defence Protected Network.
This cine film has been placed online as part of the Sea Power Centre - Australia's ongoing archival digitisation program.

http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/styles/content_image_full_width_no_sidebar/public/Canberra_I_3.jpg?itok=7Su1QkBI
Left: During the Battle of Savo Island, Captain Frank Getting was severely wounded but remained at his post, refusing medical treatment. He was subsequently evacuated to an American Hospital ship but later died of his wounds and was buried at sea. Getting is depicted here in the uniform of a Lieutenant Commander. Right: HMAS Canberra (I)'s ceremonial life ring.
http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/styles/content_image_full_width_no_sidebar/public/HMAS%20Canberra%20.jpg?itok=kBeWcI9h
HMAS Canberra (I) is commemorated in the Nation's Capital on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin, where a service is held each year on the anniversary of her loss.

To honour Canberra, the US Navy commissioned the Baltimore Class heavy cruiser, USS Canberra in 1943, the only US Navy ship thus far to be named for a foreign capital. In February 2018, continuing the tradition of honouring HMAS Canberra (I), the President of the United States of America announced that a future Independence class Littoral Combat Ship (LCS 30), will be the second US Navy ship to carry the name USS Canberra.

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/danfs/c/canberra.html

Archived