SASS Wire Forum

wet tumbler

boom pop

i just started shooting black, what is the best wet tumbler for the money, thank you in advance

I've been using the Frankford Arsenal tumbler for about 3 years now, and it always works prefect. It seems to be a pretty bulletproof design.

I’ve been using this one for about 8 years or so and it still works great. Replaced a belt once and I got that at a sewing machine shop, didn’t want to wait for one from the factory. It’s a Rebel 17.

35F06459-8061-41B1-8C20-A728C54CABF7.jpeg

I have been using the same Thumbler's Tumbler for as long as I have been shooting black powder -- over 20 years, and, with only a few parts replacements, it just keeps on going.  I did buy a used Frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler last year from a pard on the Wire, to use as a back-up/second tumbler, but I have yet to use it.  Keep going back to old reliable.

--Dawg

2 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Frankford Arsenal works fine for me

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/case-cleaning/

You can buy them cheaper at Amazon

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I’ve been using this one for about 8 years or so and it still works great. Replaced a belt once and I got that at a sewing machine shop, didn’t want to wait for one from the factory. It’s a Rebel 17.

Both of the above.

I had the Thumlers that I bought used but the drum rusted out after 5 years of use.  Replaced it with a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series and have no regrets.

I believe the Rebel 17 has a Stainless steel drum so rusting shouldn't be an issue.

I bought the Frankford Arsenal tumbler about 2 years ago in an effort to reduce my lead exposure.   I don't use the steel pins.  Dump in the brass, fill it 3/4 full of water, put a good squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid and a 9 mm case full of lemon shine.  Run it about 90 minutes and the brass comes out nice and shinny and I don't have to fool with all those little pins.   And the lead level in my blood has dropped 5 points.  I just got back from the Alabama State match and I have a load running right now.

another vote for Rebel 17

use SS chips instead of pins.  seem to do a  quicker job

here is their link and I'm just a satisfied customer--no connection to them other than that:  https://www.facebook.com/southernshinemedia/

here is a pic of size comparision:

242601069_4476294025763886_3047033802576915139_n.jpg

2 hours ago, .44bang said:

I have the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler package and i love it. I only use it for rifle brass, really not worth the hassle for pistol IMO. If you don't remove primers and use the steel pins, pins could get caught up in the primers. That being said, if you remove primers and use wet tumbler with steel pins you'll get nice shiny brass that shoots nicely.

Been wet tumbling with SS pins for years. I don't deprime pistol brass before tumbling and have never had a pin get stuck in a case.

On 5/1/2022 at 1:03 PM, Yul Lose said:

I use this too, but no pins.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I use this too, but no pins.

Same here.

On 5/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

I have been using the same Thumbler's Tumbler for as long as I have been shooting black powder -- over 20 years, and, with only a few parts replacements, it just keeps on going.  I did buy a used Frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler last year from a pard on the Wire, to use as a back-up/second tumbler, but I have yet to use it.  Keep going back to old reliable.

--Dawg

I've had mine for 40 years and it still works great!!

On 5/1/2022 at 1:03 PM, Yul Lose said:

Me too.  

9 hours ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight tumbler?

Yes. The dual drum works just fine but doesn't have enough capacity for my likes. For a few dollars more the Frankford arsenal holds triple that of the dual drum harbor freight tumbler. 

The Lyman is what I use. I have a Frankford Arsenal vibratory cleaner...don't like it. I have two Cabelas brand vibratory I like much better. They seem to vibrate twice as hard as the Frankford. The wet tumbler Frankfords I have seen have about half the capacity of my Lyman

On 5/3/2022 at 9:15 AM, Blind Squirrel said:

Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight tumbler?

I have one.  Been using it for about 4 years.  My only complaint is the small size of the drum.  If I had it to do over, I would buy the one with twin drums.

Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler (harborfreight.com)

Chancy Shot

On 5/4/2022 at 7:43 AM, Old Man Graybeard said:

The wet tumbler Frankfords I have seen have about half the capacity of my Lyman

I think you've been looking at the smaller Frankford Arsenal tumbler.  The larger one will hold 1000 .223 cases.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1012721373?pid=713881

Archived