SASS Wire Forum

Tom Horn Category - or "My Plan for a Podium Finish"!

Griff

Okay... here I was thinking over breakfast this morning, and it struck me as slightly incongruous that after 35+ years in this game I'm going to re-enter the competitive arena... (probably unsuccessfully, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

So, I've got three components, an 1873 Uberti Sporting rifle in 45 Colt, a Cowboy45Special carrier and a new, unused short stroke kit for this project to facilitate my return to a podium finish.  So... if my 1860 holds 18 C45S in the magazine... surely the 1873 can hold 20?  By dropping the pistols from each stage, I drop two of those pesky, time-consuming transitions... WOOHOO!  Faster right outta the box!

If I can get one match in before anyone else catches on, I can get another buckle after a 30 year hiatus from the podium!

(By the way, this was planned as my April 1st post... but I'm like most gunsmiths & leather workers, I'm that far behind on my projects)!  :rolleyes:

SO!! I take an 1873 musket and convert it to .45CS!!

I could load, maybe, 26 rounds!!

I take one gun, (this rifle) to the line.  NO TRANSITIONS?? 

OUTSTANDING!!  :lol: B)

ps: Couldn’t put up the thank you emoji and the ha ha too!

12 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

SO!! I take an 1873 musket and convert it to .45CS!!
 I could load, maybe, 26 rounds!!

I take one gun, (this rifle) to the line.  NO TRANSITIONS?? 
OUTSTANDING!!  :lol: B)

ps: Couldn’t put up the thank you emoji and the ha ha too!

Nope.  Shotgun KDs cannot be shot w/solid projectiles, must make up shot capsules, and can only load 2 at a time, or singly loaded... :P

5 hours ago, Griff said:

Nope.  Shotgun KDs cannot be shot w/solid projectiles, must make up shot capsules, and can only load 2 at a time, or singly loaded... :P

We shoot the shotgun targets with bullets when we shoot Josey Wales. No reloads unless there’s more shotgun targets!!

You shoot it your way ‘n’ I’ll shoot it mine!!  :lol:

Fly, meet ointment... Tom Horn used a .30-30 from what I have read.

35 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I believe it was a 45-60 

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I believe it was a 45-60 

Remember... this isn't a historical recreation contest... it's a western fantasy contest... I'll be just fine with my C45S... thank you very much!!

I'm not sure I understand the original poster's point.  It sounds like he's trying to use the rifle for everything, the pistol rifle and shotgun targets, and preferably using a rifle he can load up with enough rounds to do the whole stage without reloading.

That's...   Not how Tom Horn works.  I shot it once.   Used a pair of .45's for my pistols, and my trusty 30" barrel 97, which got the customary odd looks from people who think using a long barreled shotgun is weird.

Where the "change" came in was that instead of using a regular Main Match type rifle, you used a rifle chambered for a "rifle" cartridge instead of ones that can also be used in pistols.  Instead of 10 rifle targets, there were usually 4 or 5, and they were set out much further away than the regular rifle targets for those who weren't shooting Tom Horn.   Me, I used a Winchester 86 in .45-70.

I think I did pretty well...

1421868376_TomHorn3rd.thumb.JPG.5a9f1c9802941ed7a595d534d86d1324.JPG

It was fun.  :)

15 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I'm not sure I understand the original poster's point.  It sounds like he's trying to use the rifle for everything, the pistol rifle and shotgun targets, and preferably using a rifle he can load up with enough rounds to do the whole stage without reloading.

That's...   Not how Tom Horn works.  I shot it once.   Used a pair of .45's for my pistols, and my trusty 30" barrel 97, which got the customary odd looks from people who think using a long barreled shotgun is weird.

Where the "change" came in was that instead of using a regular Main Match type rifle, you used a rifle chambered for a "rifle" cartridge instead of ones that can also be used in pistols.  Instead of 10 rifle targets, there were usually 4 or 5, and they were set out much further away than the regular rifle targets for those who weren't shooting Tom Horn.   Me, I used a Winchester 86 in .45-70.

I use my 30" 97 at most matches.

28" when I feel frisky.

Most everybody I shoot with is used to my excentricités as I shoot Outlaw as well. Some have accused me of pushing targets down.:lol:

38 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Me ‘n’ Griff have agreed to shoot this new imaginary category the way we want to…. 

You may feel free to do likewise!!^_^

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I'm pretty sure Griff made up the Tom Horn category just to go with his new rifle makeup. I have never herd of the category before and the one you shot was most likely a local category. What you described matches what is shot in South Texas as another name.

3 hours ago, Waimea said:

I use my 30" 97 at most matches.

28" when I feel frisky.

Most everybody I shoot with is used to my excentricités as I shoot Outlaw as well. Some have accused me of pushing targets down.:lol:

Hmm...   Try pairing the long barreled shotgun with a Lightning.   That's eccentric!  

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

We call that “Cody Dixon” around here. 

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Instead of 10 rifle targets, there were usually 4 or 5, and they were set out much further away than the regular rifle targets for those who weren't shooting Tom Horn.

So they were what, 15, 20 yards? :lol:

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Hmm...   Try pairing the long barreled shotgun with a Lightning.   That's eccentric!  

Even I have my limits.:lol:

6 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Where the "change" came in was that instead of using a regular Main Match type rifle, you used a rifle chambered for a "rifle" cartridge instead of ones that can also be used in pistols.  Instead of 10 rifle targets, there were usually 4 or 5, and they were set out much further away than the regular rifle targets for those who weren't shooting Tom Horn.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So they were what, 15, 20 yards? :lol:

Yep, that's called Cody Dixon around here... And sometimes the target are out to about 35 yards...  

13 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yep, that's called Cody Dixon around here... And sometimes the target are out to about 35 yards...  

The Cody Dixon match I am the MD for has rifle targets from 40 to 125 yards. Close in targets are 12X18,  the 100 yard targets are 16X24, and the 125 yard target is a 4 foot saw blade. Would like to have some of them further out but the landscape of the range limits us to 125 yards.

For pistol targets, we shoot the regular SASS rifle targets.  

28 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The Cody Dixon match I am the MD for has rifle targets from 40 to 125 yards. Close in targets are 12X18,  the 100 yard targets are 16X24, and the 125 yard target is a 4 foot saw blade. Would like to have some of them further out but the landscape of the range limits us to 125 yards.

For pistol targets, we shoot the regular SASS rifle targets.  

This is beginning to sound like NCOWS. Sounds interesting.

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

This is beginning to sound like NCOWS. Sounds interesting.

Yes and No

The group of Cody Dixon shooters that attend the local match are in it for the fun and challenge so we modified the Cody Dixon rules that most clubs in the region use to keep the match interesting.

First we allow just about any rifle caliber rifle including the Savage 99, Martini Henry Rifles, and even Handi-Rifles. We do put the handi Rifles and other break action rifles in their own category to keep things more competitive.

Rifles have to be in a caliber available prior to 1899 and be at least 30 caliber or larger. With the exception of the 56-50, if the cartridge is a legal SASS main match rifle cartridge we do not it in Cody Dixon. .

Typical rifle round counts are 6 per stage but we do throw in the occasional reload. Rifle rounds for single shots or lever guns that will not hold 6 can be staged prior to the beep if the shooter desires. Lever guns start action closed hammer down on an empty chamber. For lever guns without an exposed hammer, we do the same as Wild Bunch does with the model 12 and have the shooter pull the trigger prior to the start of the stage.

Single shots start open and empty.

We were going to add bolt action and Garand categories but the range owner will not allow them even with cast bullets so for now that plan has been tabled.

A good shooter with a Handi-rifle can out run 5 second misses if there are not too many of them when competing against more traditional single shot rifles. Because of this, we as a group we decided to stress accuracy so miss penalties are 10 seconds vice 5.

When they are available we will shoot reactive targets. Sometimes the stage scenario doesn't allow for makeups. So if you fail to knock down all the targets they count as misses. Mouse fart loads don't work on reactive targets at SASS rifle distances so we load accordingly.

One of the 40 yard rifle targets is an 8 inch tube with a hinged door at one end. It is set at an angle to the shooter so that the round has to glance off the inside of the tube before it hits to door. This prevents damage to the door by heavy loads. As long as the door moves it is counted as a hit.

Shotgun targets are the typical SASS distances.

We always have one Posse so we all take turns making up the scenarios. This way we don't have to know how the targets are set prior to the match and we don't have to move steel. We just shoot the targets as we find them. 

Clean matches are pretty rare but no one complains as we are too busy having fun. :) 

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

How about the Winchester 95?   It'd be at a handicap since it only holds 5 rounds, but I'd love a chance to use one.

At our match yes you could shoot it.

When all is said and done, I think it'd be cool if there was a 10-10-5-4+ variation.

That's 10 rifle, 10 pistol, 5 "rifle caliber" rifle, and 4+ shotgun.

Don't know what you'd call it, but it'd mean more shooting, and therefore, more fun.  :)

Fun to think about anyway, but probably not practical.

28 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

When all is said and done, I think it'd be cool if there was a 10-10-5-4+ variation.

Don't know what you'd call it, but it'd mean more shooting, and therefore, more fun.  :)

I’ve shot this at plainsman side matches. Yes it’s fun, but…. It is very cumbersome to stage 3 long guns, and to carry them to/from cart safely. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I’ve shot this at plainsman side matches. Yes it’s fun, but…. It is very cumbersome to stage 3 long guns, and to carry them to/from cart safely. 

Hmm...   Maybe we should all hire a gun bearer?   Or maybe a Shirpa?  Or maybe, uhm, some other solution I can't think of?

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Our local Cody Dixon match has an Indian Fighter category.

10 Pistol

10 pistol caliber rifle

6 rifle caliber rifle

2 to 6 shotgun.

Was really popular till the primer shortage.

Well... I finished the short stroke installation and the C45S carrier in my old Uberti 1873 (mfg'd 1986)... and it only holds 19!  More'n half that 20th cartridge sticks out the loading port!  I'm not sure if cutting the magazine spring & the follower will allow that much more cartridge inside!  If it weren't such an onerous, time consuming task, I'd just take up that practicing like true champions do...   maybe after retirement!!!  

Archived