SASS Wire Forum

Evil Roy by Cimarron

slk

Does anyone here have any experience with the Evil Roy model of Uberti revolvers? I was commenting to someone how smooth the Model P's are and they said the Evil Row was even better. Just thought I would get your opinions.

I have a pair of ERs  that I bought new 4 years ago, based on someone's recommendation.  I havent shot them much; particularly not in matches.  Neither action is particularly smooth compared to other Colt replicas I've handled, nor to my NM Vaqueros -- the ERs certainly fall short of being "match-ready", IMO.   

A bigger problem is that both revolvers consistently shoot 10"-12" above POA at 25' (shooting off of a rest).  Without adding 1/8" to  3/16" of height to the front sight, they cannot be made to shoot POA.  With that much added to the front, they require some accommodation in most holsters to avoid snapping the sights off or abrading the leather.

Finally, I don't care much for the conspicuous Evil Roy signatures etched deeply in the top of the barrels. 

Truthfully, I would not buy them again.  Others' mileage likely differs.   We will probably hear from some of them here.  But the above is my story and I'm sticking to it. 

Slk,

I've been shooting a pair of Evil Roy revolvers for over 10 years now, and I still enjoy them.I couldnt begin to count the number of rounds put through them,and the only additional work needed was to tighten the mainsprings.Only once in 10 years.

For most of that time I shot pretty stout .45 colt rounds through them and never babied them.In the last few years Ive been shooting Cowboy 45 specials,not because of the revolvers, but because of getting older and the advance of arthritis.

I could have bought nearly any revolvers I wanted, but I liked the Evil Roys.

Of course ,YMMV

Choctaw Jack

I have a set that I bought used 5 year’s ago & pretty much transitioned to 38 special with them after starting out with Smokewagon Deluxes in 44-40. They’re just as smooth as the Wagon’s. I eventually moved on to OM Vaquero’s that were tuned & short stroked by Boomstick, but I kept the Evil Roy’s for backups on account that I am still comfortable competing with them! I think they’re a great set to start up with as they’re very reasonable for what you get!

I have a stainless ER in 38 that is a nice revolver.
Nicer than any Uberti Model P that I have shot.

--Dawg

Loco Poco Lobo  and I have been shooting Evil Roy's Model P's for about 10 years with no major problems. I put lower hammers on mine because I shoot double duelist in CC category

Nawlins

Sounds like others have, thankfully,  had much better luck than me.

I guess I just got two lemons. 

Mine are .38/.357.   They're not comparable to the smoothness of my NM Vaqueros, IMHO.  And the POA problem seems like a manufacturing defect.   I've always suspected the barrels were threaded 180 degrees too long or too short, causing the guns to shoot high instead of slightly low, (as is usual out of the box, enabling fine tuning by the shooter. )

But with all of that said, I really cannot say that I've tried to work with Cimaron to get them corrected.   Sending guns back and forth from California is a hassle,  at best, and pretty costly -- going through an FFL each way.  So they got put back in their original boxes in the safe -- pretty much forgotten safe queens.  Someday, if things slow down a bit for me,  perhaps I'll get around to working on them again. 

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Sounds like others have, thankfully,  had much better luck than me.

I guess I just got two lemons. 

Mine are .38/.357.   They're not comparable to the smoothness of my NM Vaqueros, IMHO.  And the POA problem seems like a manufacturing defect.   I've always suspected the barrels were threaded 180 degrees too long or too short, causing the guns to shoot high instead of slightly low, (as is usual out of the box, enabling fine tuning by the shooter. )

But with all of that said, I really cannot say that I've tried to work with Cimaron to get them corrected.   Sending guns back and forth from California is a hassle,  at best, and pretty costly -- going through an FFL each way.  So they got put back in their original boxes in the safe -- pretty much forgotten safe queens.  Someday, if things slow down a bit for me,  perhaps I'll get around to working on them again. 

You do not have to ship through an FFL for warranty or repair work.

Just sayin....

Archived