SASS Wire Forum

Leather Recommendations

slk

Hi guys I just picked a new Cimarron model P new style in 45 colt. I am in need of a holster and belt for it. I have looked at Cimarrons/Texas Jacks catalog and they seam to have some nice looking stuff. I also looked at Historical Emporium and they have some that are a  little cheaper but look good. Don't need to break the bank, but I would like suggestions  from you on what you have found to be good investments.

Thanks

Steve

Holsters are part of the competition rather than the cowboy look. In common use are holsters that are thick and hard to hold a permanent, wide mouth shape, allowing a fast, one-handed reholstering. Many holsters are also canted to the rear to match the angle of approach. All this only matters if one is capable of really fast times or is trying to shave some seconds off transitions, but it does help ensure that pistols are not dropped.

Not looking for fast draw holsters. Yes they do need to hold their shape for sure. Just looking for a rig that could be worn while walking in the woods and messing around. I do want the cowboy look though.

A quality, plain holster made of skirting leather will last a lifetime given decent care.  Anyone with motivation and modest manual skills can visit Tandy Leather (online or in the U.S.) for patterns, leather and basic tools and make their own for a fraction of the cost of store bought.

41 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

A quality, plain holster made of skirting leather will last a lifetime given decent care.  Anyone with motivation and modest manual skills can visit Tandy Leather (online or in the U.S.) for patterns, leather and basic tools and make their own for a fraction of the cost of store bought.

This ↑ ↑ ↑   Although, if you're not the DIY type, something along the lines of El Paso Saddlery's Cheyenne rig has plenty of "cowboy" style AND retention, no matter how rigorous your woods walking gets!

elpasosaddlery_cheyenne_rig-768x768.jpg

Plenty of other makers furnish nearly identical pieces, so choose your poison.

Check out J-M leather. None better Johnny Morris is a cowboy shooter, dies excellent work. It will last forever 

51 minutes ago, Griff said:

This ↑ ↑ ↑   Although, if you're not the DIY type, something along the lines of El Paso Saddlery's Cheyenne rig has plenty of "cowboy" style AND retention, no matter how rigorous your woods walking gets!

elpasosaddlery_cheyenne_rig-768x768.jpg

Plenty of other makers furnish nearly identical pieces, so choose your poison.

That is a cool looking rig. I like that style...

13 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Check out J-M leather. None better Johnny Morris is a cowboy shooter, dies excellent work. It will last forever 

Plus 10, Johnny made Ellie's. Worked with Johnny and his wife over the phone and made a real nice rig for her. Highly recommend recommend.

3 hours ago, slk said:

Not looking for fast draw holsters. Yes they do need to hold their shape for sure. Just looking for a rig that could be worn while walking in the woods and messing around. I do want the cowboy look though.

Real "fast draw" is something else entirely. Drawing quickly is not the issue as much as putting the gun back in the holster. If posting on SASSwire, it was a reasonable assumption that Cowboy Action Shooting was the background topic. I have two Tom Threepersons models from El Paso Saddlery, and with a little bit of use can require two hands to safely holster. Drawing is not the problem. Real stiffness is required. I store the holsters with pill bottles in them, but the lined leather is just too soft and pretty to maintain the shape for long.

I use a Kirkpatrick and Ellie a J-M, both have stayed stiff for years, never an issue re-holstering. Both are lined rigs and have held their shape perfectly.

My home made holsters have held their shape as well, a couple better than 30 years old.  I did a bit of CFD, dedicated holsters are different as are the rules, however there are SASS legal holsters that are sufficiently fast for most.

Well, my own Trailrider Products holsters have been holding up fine for the last thirty years plus and I've had no complaints from customers.  My docs say I'm holding up pretty well for an old fart, too.   https://gunfighter.com>trailrider  (Had to raise prices somewhat over what's shown on the websited.)

Stay well and safe!

43 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Well, my own Trailrider Products holsters have been holding up fine for the last thirty years plus and I've had no complaints from customers.  My docs say I'm holding up pretty well for an old fart, too.   https://gunfighter.com>trailrider  (Had to raise prices somewhat over what's shown on the websited.)

Stay well and safe!

The Cheyenne looks good. I am thinking a 2 1/2 " belt though. I will have to give you a call as I have lots of questions.

Has anyone bought from Historical Emporium out of California. I know looks can be deceiving but they have some good prices on holsters and belts.

Correcting Trailrider's link:

https://gunfighter.com/trailrider

Even walking in the woods, you want good retention and the ability to reholster with only one hand.  So you need a stiffer holster than won't slightly close once the gun is out.

15 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Correcting Trailrider's link:

https://gunfighter.com/trailrider

Even walking in the woods, you want good retention and the ability to reholster with only one hand.  So you need a stiffer holster than won't slightly close once the gun is out.

One reason I designed the #96X series for myself.  Not exactly OLD West, but close, and the retention design allows for secure carry, protection from the weather, depending on the choice of flaps, and quick access, just in case you run onto Ol' Ephraim in Montana or Wyoming! (No, I never did, but saw tracks of a mother griz and cub going down the mountainside ahead of us!)

Ok I have another question about holsters, and forming them. I was told that a way to do them is to wet the entire holster with hot water, and put the pistol in a baggie and slip it in the holster and let it dry. Thoughts??????

Steve 

I have a few thoughts on that. First, a good holster will already be moulded to your gun, so you don't have to do it yourself. Second, using HOT water will damage your leather and make it hard as a rock when done. Third, using a baggie and leaving the gun in until the leather is dry is a great way to rust your gun. A baggie is usually not sufficiently strong/waterproof to keep the moisture from seeping in and getting to your gun.

Stay away from hot water, each of the different manufacturers will have some minor differences between them, the button on the ejector rod is probably the biggest variation.  Most other variants will work out just with use. I would only redo the wet mold if it just won’t fit at all. The ziplock, or multiple wraps of plastic wrap does work. You don’t need to get the leather excessively wet, just enough to let it start to stretch. 

I usually just put my shooter in a ziplock bag, stuff it in the holster and let it sit for a day or two. I've never wet the holster and it seems to have worked out fine.

17 hours ago, slk said:

Ok I have another question about holsters, and forming them. I was told that a way to do them is to wet the entire holster with hot water, and put the pistol in a baggie and slip it in the holster and let it dry. Thoughts??????

Steve 

Ask the holster maker.

40 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Ask the holster maker.

I have an email out to them asking that question....

I "shaped" mine by wrapping my revolves in small plastic shopping bags and stuffing the revolvers in the holsters for a few days. I did this a couple of times and it shaped the holsters to a good fit. Loose enough on the draw, but tight enough to "stay put" when moving. Just my .02 worth.

I will try what I did on my shoulder holster for my PPK. I wrapped it in wax paper and just stuffed it in the holster and left it a few days and it turned out great. Prior to that I would have been beaten to a pulp before I could get it out. It was extremely tight....

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

JM Leather!! Johnny Morris is great to work with!! I have two sets of leather from him and my son has one set!! Great work and a Great guy to deal with!!

DSC_0732.JPG

DSC_0740.JPG

IMG_0176 (2).jpg

Archived