SASS Wire Forum

Life Membership Number

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

In the Way-Back machine, when you upgraded to Life you could get a lower number.   

There was a block of #'s, 5000-5999, range that was used. I got mine in the mid 90's.  After the block was used up, it just became your # but add Life. :)

Y'all ain't usin the right way back machine,  as originally the 2-300 series of numbers were set aside for life memberships.  Regular memberships started at 500 I believe.    Several of our club members in the early nineties availed themselves of the chance to have a 3 digit number... IIRC, numbers being issued were between 1300-1500 for annual members.  Numbers are not always indicative of when you joined.  Blocks of numbers were sent out to area representatives to expedite processing, so numbers were issued in a haphazard fashion.  Wasn't any big deal, it meant you got your badge much quicker!

That's the way my "rememberer" remembers it, anyway! :P

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Y'all ain't usin the right way back machine,  as originally the 2-300 series of numbers were set aside for life memberships.  Regular memberships started at 500 I believe.    Several of our club members in the early nineties availed themselves of the chance to have a 3 digit number... IIRC, numbers being issued were between 1300-1500 for annual members.  Numbers are not always indicative of when you joined.  Blocks of numbers were sent out to area representatives to expedite processing, so numbers were issued in a haphazard fashion.  Wasn't any big deal, it meant you got your badge much quicker!

That's the way my "rememberer" remembers it, anyway! :P

way back machine  must be broken  As I remember I know of a member not life who has a number under 300

26 minutes ago, john brown said:

way back machine  must be broken  As I remember I know of a member not life who has a number under 300

Number 109 - 199 were not life numbers... I could be mistaken about the 200 numbers also.. but... who really cares at this point.  Numbers are not re-issued unless a member passes away and arrangements are made to pass it to a family member... 

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

Number 109 - 199 were not life numbers... I could be mistaken about the 200 numbers also.. but... who really cares at this point.  Numbers are not re-issued unless a member passes away and arrangements are made to pass it to a family member... 

And if you have not noticed Griff has a two digit membership number. B)

When I bought my life membership in 2000 I was given the option of a 5000 number or keeping my original number, I opted to keep my original number.

Big Hat was selling memberships at a monthly when I joined. 

When I upgraded to Life, in the '80's, I could have gotten a lower number, but I decided to keep my original number...so I did.

Just figured I'd dance with the one that I got here with. 

Some with higher numbers, than mine, went with lower numbers. You'd have to ask them why, unless a 3 or 4 digit number was easier for them to remember. Perhaps they may have wanted to have appeared to have joined s.a.s.s. earlier, since they had a lower number? :wacko:

2 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

...Just figured I'd dance with the one that I got here with. ...

Well your original number is easy to remember and has a nice ring to it. :)

I know of 3 dogs several cats and sometime back about  20 years unborn children with  numbers.:blink:

Archived