SASS Wire Forum

Are you this old?

Buckshot Bear

I can remember when there were no McDonalds.

Depending on where you are, that ain't so very long ago. I remember they were all excited in Eastpoint Florida, in 1985 because there was a rumor they were going to put in a McDonald's. There were no fast food joints in that town. There was a convenience store at each in had a gas station in the middle. If you wanted to order pizza you had to call in to another town and they had to bring it across the river.

Yes and I used a few......regrets...we had a 24 hour one that tolerated us.

Don't regret it all... some bad decisions let to good times. 

Cs

I just got two Zippo lighters back from being repaired by the factory.

First one I got from my girlfriend for my birthday in March 1965.  Four months later we were married.

The other was a going away gift form the 69th Maintenance Battalion when I left Vietnam.

I still have my Dad's 1948 Ronson that I got when Mom cleaned out his stuff after he died.  Zippo bought Ronson and I'm trying to see if they will restore it, too.

JFWIW, I quit smoking at midnight December 31, 1999 / January 1, 2000.

I need ash trays and lighters like a pig needs a side saddle.

When I started practicing law in 1973, you could smoke in the courtrooms during recesses. The counsel tables had ashtrays, and the pew seats had those small ashtrays on the back of the seats in front of you.

When the judge came out on the bench, the lawyers hurriedly put out their smokes at the table.

Within 3 or 4 years, no smoking in the courtrooms, but you still could out in the hallways. Then that disappeared. People hardly can believe it now. I can hardly believe it, and I was there....

back then we could smoke anywhere , the glass ashtrays were common , my uncle had a nifty one that sat in a brass floor stand - wish i had that one , would use it for my cigars as he did back in the 60s-70s when i last saw it 

My first job was a bank teller (early 80s') one of Australia's best known banks. I used to have a bank provided ashtray in my tellers cage and would have a drag of my cigarrette whilst in between counting a customers bills placing it on the ashtray between drags. 

Like @Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said above "People hardly can believe it now. I can hardly believe it, and I was there...."

P.s Banks had Colt .38's for the tellers (this was still in the day of massively large payrolls) but most of the branches I worked at through the 80's the branch managers wouldn't let the tellers have them in their cages and they were in safes in the main strongroom.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

P.s Banks had Colt .38's for the tellers (this was still in the day of massively large payrolls) but most of the branches I worked at through the 80's the branch managers wouldn't let the tellers have them in their cages and they were in safes in the main strongroom.

From age 19 through 21 I worked swing shift at the Post Office Terminal Annex in the south end of Seattle. I was an undergrad, married young and with children, and the job was perfect; classes in the morning, work from 2 to 10 pm, mostly loading parcel post onto to rail mail cars. Mostly outside, great exercise.

They tabbed me to ride now and then with the Registered Mail from the annex at night to the downtown station. You had to be armed, so they gave me a couple of lessons with a .38 S&W snubbie and issued me a Federal license. Nobody had robbed the mail run in generations, but that was the procedure. Veterans told me to lay my gun down quietly in the extremely unlikely event of a heist.

One single shift I was told to guard the Queen Anne post office downtown on a Sunday. I walked around the perimeter with the .38 on my hip, in jeans and a flannel shirt, for 8 hours. A couple of Seattle cops saw me in this improbable role and came over to ask what I was up to. I showed them my Federal license. They were friendly and rather amused and departed. 

I encountered no desperados seeking after the mail....

I can remember buying ammo for my .22 at 7-11 when I was about 13

13 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I can remember when there were no McDonalds.

Yep, me too.

I remember when a Moonpie and RC Cola were 10-11 cents..... total.

3 candy bars or 3 packs of gum were 10-cents.

Bazooka bubble gum was 1-cent...... and yes, I have a collection of all 50 of their cartoons.   

..........Widder

The ash trays were handy to put things you didn't like to eat!

I remember when my Dad came home from WWll.  He was in the RCAF and when the train pulled in, all the airmen met their wives, girl friends, parents and went home.  A couple of weeks later my uncle came home from the army and they had to line up, be inspected and march around a bit before they were released to go home.

I remember when McD's were 15 Cents and a cheeseburger was 17 cents.  I could get a cheeseburger, fries and a coke for 50 cents and get change.  I went to the new Five Guys burger place a few days ago.  Cheeseburger, small fry, small Coke, $19.00.

Not McDonalds but I remember in 1966  as a 13 yo riding on the main road near an army base to my favourie 'rabbit location with a Sportco auto shotgun over my shoulder & even the cops gave me a wave..yes Australia did have freedoms ...ah for the good ole' days  !!!!

Yeah! I remember when the first McDonalds opened in Nashville.  Didn’t even have those “Golden Arches”!!

44 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Remember being able to smoke on airplanes??  And Trains??

Yeah, and I remember a flight from Salt Lake City to Washington D.C. in a Convair 240 chartered to the Army.  Hit bad weather over Nebraska and  some jackass up from lit up a really foul cigar.  I was doing okay until someone puked and the everyone did.

We set down at Offutt AFB and sat the rest of the storm out and went on ourway.  The plane had been cleaned up by a ground crew who deserved medals.

20 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I remember when my Dad came home from WWll.  He was in the RCAF and when the train pulled in, all the airmen met their wives, girl friends, parents and went home.  A couple of weeks later my uncle came home from the army and they had to line up, be inspected and march around a bit before they were released to go home.

My Father, a Pre-War, RCAF Regular, was an instructor at #2 AOS, Edmonton. As a babe, (Born 1943) I remember being outside at night, carried in my Mother's arms.

There was a lot of shouting and people picked up my Father and carried him on their shoulders. 

My Mother was crying saying what I later learned was "The War is Over! The Japanese surrendered!"

Funny the things that stay as memory fragments.

She had her four brothers and three BIL's overseas in the Army.

Archived