SASS Wire Forum

Defence Secretary warns Vladimir Putin could declare a new world war within days

Buckshot Bear

Defence Secretary warns Vladimir Putin could declare a new world war within days

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/defence-secretary-warns-vladimir-putin-could-declare-a-new-world-war-within-days/news-story/f93a954887fb5b5ab9e860142f97a586

"Vladimir Putin could declare a new world war within days, Britain’s Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has warned.

Mr Wallace said the Russian President might use traditional Victory Day celebrations on May 9, which commemorate the end of World War II, to call up troops for a “war with the world’s Nazis”, The Sun reports.

He also said Russia’s occupation of Ukraine risked becoming “a sort of cancerous growth” that must be cut out.

Moscow yesterday made more threats against the West".

How much of this is for domestic consumption and how much of this does Putin actually think?

Being a rational person (mostly) I think Putin has to realize that if he starts a war with NATO, he is going to lose badly, but that presumes Putin is rational by Western standards.

It almost seems that Putin WANTS a war with NATO.

I don't know if there are one or more pieces missing that we are not privy to or if Putin is no longer mentally stable.

This is an excerpt from a column by Peggy Noonan in the WSJ:

In my experience with American diplomats, they are aware of but don’t always grasp the full implications of their opponents’ histories. Mr. Putin was a KGB spy who in 1991 saw the Soviet system in which he’d risen crash all around him. He called the fall of the Soviet Union a catastrophe because it left his country weakened, humiliated and stripped of dominance and hegemony in Eastern Europe. He is a walking, talking cauldron of resentments, which he deploys for maximum manipulation. He isn’t secretive about his grievances. In his 2007 speech to the Munich Security Conference he accused the U.S. of arrogance, hypocrisy and having created a “unipolar world” with “one center of authority, one center of force, one center of decision making,” headed by “one master, one sovereign.” As for NATO, “we have the right to ask: Against whom is this expansion intended?”

Antagonism to the West has been the central intellectual organizing principle of his life. America is an object of his life’s obsession.

So let me make an argument for my anxieties: For this man, Russia can’t lose to the West. Ukraine isn’t the Mideast, a side show; it is the main event. I read him as someone who will do anything not to lose.

In October he will turn 70, and whatever his physical and mental health his life is in its fourth act. I am dubious that he will accept the idea that the signal fact of its end will be his defeat by the West. He can’t, his psychology will not allow it....

Putin has (again) threatened the use of tactical nukes.  The question is, if he does, where and what would our response be?  Since we don't have tactical nukes of the level that Russia has (1kt-5kt or larger), and we are NOT going to initiate response with strategic weapons, and, since NATO and the U.S. has the capability to respond with "conventional" weapons, including drones, tacair, cruise missiles, etc., that would probably be what would happen.  The question then becomes what would Putin's reaction be?  Would he further escalate into a strike against NATO countries in Europe, or even launching nukes against the U.S. in a first strike?  Don't know. Depends on his state of mind, if he perceives Russia is losing.  Were he to escalate to using tactical nukes, might some of those around him figure enough was enough, and remove him from power?  Don't know!  My crystal ball is black with three finger holes (one for the thumb), and I haven't been able to lift it anymore.  :unsure:

Some of the news anchors are confused about the difference between tactical and strategic nukes. :wacko: Among other things.

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Will you attack with naval landing craft? 

While a naval landing might prove problematic, I will say that the use of dirigibles has not been ruled out. I will start by imposing a personal ban of Burundi beer and scotch imports. 

Putin has lost so many tanks and shot up so many of his missiles already that he has very little left to fight with aside from nukes and submarines. He's clearly a nut who's losing his grip on reality, and that alone makes him dangerous. Some of the cooler heads in Moscow really need to step in before it's too late.

I don’t think anybody has ever declared a world war. It just kinda evolves.

When I first looked at the headline, I knew you must be talking about Australia's defence minister, and not ours. 

It would take a backbone to declare anything, and ours does not have one. 

Well...putin can "declare" whatever, and will, to stay in power. Even with our totally inept president, vice-president, and administration, he doesn't want to take on the U.S. military...and considering how things are going in Ukraine, he doesn't want to take on anyone else, either. 

43 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

When I first looked at the headline, I knew you must be talking about Australia's defence minister, and not ours. 

It would take a backbone to declare anything, and ours does have one. 

Well...putin can "declare" whatever, and will, to stay in power. Even with our totally inept president, vice-president, and administration, he doesn't want to take on the U.S. military...and considering how things are going in Ukraine, he doesn't want to take on anyone else, either. 

That was the British Defence Minister, here's Australia's Defence Minister and some of his comments -

Russia-Ukraine war: Australian defence minister Peter Dutton says Australia should be prepared for war

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/russia-ukraine-war-australian-defence-minister-peter-dutton-says-australia-should-be-prepared-for-war/ST627N4M7YUDCP6AOLL7YH6WVM/

Peter Dutton marks Anzac Day by again comparing China and Russia to Nazi Germany before World War II

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-25/peter-dutton-anzac-day-china-russia-nazi-germany/101013116

‘Act of a war criminal’: Peter Dutton blasts Russian President Vladimir Putin

https://thewest.com.au/business/act-of-a-war-criminal-peter-dutton-marise-payne-blasts-russian-president-vladimir-putin-c-6335949

I wonder what the Russian families reactions are going to be when the casualty lists of the dead conscripts become known?

2 minutes ago, .44bang said:

You are describing the end of the world, if the U.S and NATO lunch nukes on Russia and Putin retaliates. There will be nothing left. 
even Putin is avoid this, he won’t let it get to that so all his threats are feeble.

You under estimate putin, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, .44bang said:

You are describing the end of the world, if the U.S and NATO lunch nukes on Russia and Putin retaliates. There will be nothing left. 
even Putin is avoid this, he won’t let it get to that so all his threats are feeble.

I sincerely hope that you are right.  I also know that deranged sociopaths like Putin don’t think like most people.  The end of the world doesn’t have the same weight in his mind that we give it!

Well, I don't know Putin nor do I try to convince myself or others of his plans.

But, this I know..... whether he Nukes, declares war, invades Bucksnort, etc..... I ain't a bit worried nor allow his crap to be the focus

of my life.

I figure if he pushes the button, everybody goes.   Its that simple.     Besides, why would he waste a Nuke on Kentucky, Tennessee or Alabama?

He probably likes Saban..... :lol:

..........Widder

1 hour ago, .44bang said:

Once in a corner, it could be his final eff you.:ph34r:

What is somewhat worrisome is a report that Putin will soon undergo surgery for abdominal cancer!  He will supposedly put one of his hardliner cohorts in charge while he is under anesthesia.  What happens if he doesn't wake up, or if it is determined he is terminally ill? Would he simply decide to take the whole world down with him? :o:unsure:   NFI! Pray it doesn't come to that!

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Can Putin launch nukes on his own? Does he have a nuclear 'football' near him like the US President?

Nobody knows. But the way Vlad has consolidated his power over the years like Hitler leads me to believe he has much more ability to launch on his own. Whether of not more rational heads in the inner circle will be able to prevent it remains to be seen. Checks and balances in the Russian Republic are not really a thing. 

Archived