SASS Wire Forum

On The Subject of Accordions

Subdeacon Joe

Accordions, reminds me of that old Far Side cartoon. 

The top half of the cartoon shows a line of people, at the pearly gates, and an angel is giving each person a harp, and says: "welcome to heaven, here's your harp".

The bottom half of the cartoon shows a line of people, at the gates of hell, and the devil is giving each person an accordion, and saying: "welcome to hell, here's your accordion".

My mother wanted me to take accordion lessons when I was about 9 yrs old. because some of my cousins played. I hated it then and I hate them now! I took guitar lessons instead for a few months. Later in my teen years I picked up guitar again but then switched to drums which I made a living with for 35 years or more. Other than BAGPIPES the accordion is the worst!!:ph34r:

Is it the instrument that is the problem or the person using it or perhaps the style of music being played?

Like many instruments, an accordion played badly sounds horrible, but that can be said of many stringed instruments and bagpipes as well.

1 minute ago, Chantry said:

Is it the instrument that is the problem or the person using it or perhaps the style of music being played?

Like many instruments, an accordion played badly sounds horrible, but that can be said of many stringed instruments and bagpipes as well.

I just hate the sound of it! Period! Bagpipes are even worse with that droning one note!:huh:

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I like Zydeco and I like accordions in Zydeco, but that's where I draw the line.

I had forgotten about Zydeco being one of the musical genres that used an accordion.

I know some Mexican music and Tex-Mex uses the accordion and David Hildago from Los Lobos plays the accordion on some tracks.

I freely admit to being a music snob with eclectic tastes, so I know I have at least some music where the accordion is used in a song and sounds good.  Los Lobos and Flaco Jimenez spring to mind, but I know there is more music that I own that uses the accordion.

However even I have standards and won't listen to polkas played on an accordion.

We love the pipes and have them at our special occasions:

When they had a Mixed Party for Sherron and I, to celebrate our engagement, the entire Cameron Highlander Pipe and Drum band played for an hour or more;

We danced, watched the Sword Dance and ended with The Grand March, before the DJ started.

My Bride and I were piped from the Church at our wedding.

When we brought our son home, after his birth, pipers from the Regimental Band played the Highland Cradle Song. 

They played The Lament at my Father-in-laws graveside and, in 2010, that of my Father.

So, it's safe to say we love the pipes.

Capbadge.jpg

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

However even I have standards and won't listen to polkas played on an accordion.

Oh Gawd...Every Sunday my Dad would put on this Polka radio station when I was a kid in PA. He signed us all up to learn Polka dancing.

It cost me a whoopin' but I refused that silliness as did my Mom and siblings...Somehow, I was the only one that suffered corporal punishment, but it was worth it.

24 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

If there is "music" in hell, it is played by a 3 man band...accordion, bagpipe and ukulele.

:lol::lol::lol: I am stealing this line... fair notice. :lol::lol::lol:

Tiny Tim is on the Ukelele

image.jpeg.47e83f1f61d3f08ee9da60d8f21a4fd8.jpeg

Yes ... in the age of Lawrence Welk ... and (Myron Floren) ... many unfortunate kids got stuck taking accordian lessons. 

I still remember spending many many Saturday afternoons playing "The Thunderer" (John Philip Sousa) in band practice w/ about 30 other unfortunates. 

No it ain't. That's the National Emblem.

The line about the monkey starts at 0:45.

I also noticed that the march starts with that famous line from HAIR. Right after the entro, at 0:10.

Oh-o say, can you see, my-y eyes, if you can THEN MY HAIR'S TOO SHORT!

With apologies to Sir Walter Scott

Breathes there the man with soul so dead

Who never to himself hath said

I hear the pipes, they call to me

My blood is stirred
My soul is free

;)

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Yes ... in the age of Lawrence Welk ... and (Myron Floren) ... many unfortunate kids got stuck taking accordian lessons. 

I still remember spending many many Saturday afternoons playing "The Thunderer" (John Philip Sousa) in band practice w/ about 30 other unfortunates. 

I can’t imagine The Thunderer on accordions! :blink:

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Hey Cold Lake,  Taylor (my real name) is sept to Clan Cameron....and being from northern Utah and now living a mile above sea level in central Arizona, I am a highlander.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

Our tartan is Cameron of Erracht as shown. 

Cameron of Erracht images (2).jpg

14 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Perfect pitch  ===   accordion into the dumpster without touching the sides ...... 

:ph34r:

Wobbly!! Ya’ beat me to it!!:lol:

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My mother wanted me to take accordion lessons when I was about 9 yrs old. because some of my cousins played. I hated it then and I hate them now! I took guitar lessons instead for a few months. Later in my teen years I picked up guitar again but then switched to drums which I made a living with for 35 years or more. Other than BAGPIPES the accordion is the worst!!:ph34r:

You left out banjo, zither, and ukulele!!   :o :lol:

6 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

If there is "music" in hell, it is played by a 3 man band...accordion, bagpipe and ukulele.

I was thinking banjo and zither!!

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

48 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I was thinking banjo and zither!!

...... and now it's a "5 piece combo" .........

:excl:

19 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

An instrument I rather like, by the way.

FB_IMG_1651200739526.jpg.3c1005df351b0c73fefb8b6be0c50783.jpg

I’m reasonably certain that I would rather listen to the guy on the right.

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Other than BAGPIPES the accordion is the worst!!:ph34r:

Ah. Laddie! Ya need a wee bit of Celtic blood flowin' through your veins to appreciate the sweet sound of the pipes and not that Mediterranean vino.:D:P:D

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... I tried one of those, .... 

...... but it digerididn't ........   :blush:

That's probably because your name is Jack

Play your didgeridoo, Lou

Play your didgeridoo

Keep playin' till I shoot through, Lou

Play your didgeridoo

ALL TOGETHER NOW!!!

"Feelings" would be a better choice.

I remember an episode of The Gong Show, and every contestant sang Feelings.

Got REAL old, REAL fast.

Archived