SASS Wire Forum

Guns after a month away

Trigger Mike

Mostly due to my accident I have not set foot in a gun store in a month.  I am just now getting to where my left hand can cycle a semi auto pistol.  I could fire a revolver but with difficulty as my right thumb was also injured.  It's getting better though.

I also did not drive for 2 weeks.   I picked my younger son from school and we stopped by the gun store that I have to pass to get home that is 2 miles from my house.  

They are good people.  They go to all the gun shows as well as run the store.  They no longer buy or trade your gun and also now will not take your gun on consignment.   They used to all the time.   They usually have 2 or 3 used guns.  Yesterday they had over a dozen.  A couple of older smith and wesson semi autos as well as some used sig and other brands. 

They went from less than 5 new sig sauer to at least a dozen.  They had both the m17 and m18.  Both were priced around 680 verses over 1000 on gunbroker a while back.  

They had a large quantity of ruger wrangler and various semiauto pistols.  They had a decent number of ruger rifles now too.  They had multiple shelves of s and w pistols.  They finally had a Springfield 1911 as well as a decent number of the other Springfield semiauto pistols.  They had a ton of glocks and other brands.  Their wall was filled and spilling over with ar15s and shotguns and hunting rifles. 

They had ammo spread out on the floor there was so much, sadly no 17hmr though, the caliber I asked for.  They had. 223 and 5.56 in 200 round boxes from remington, winchester and other brands.  They had it stacked everywhere.   Prices seemed to becoming reasonable,  or at least closer to where they should be.   

Sad thing is I have decided to stop buying guns unless I have a particular need that can't be solved with what I have, i.e. coyotes etc .  I did buy a box of .308 and a box of .223 and a box of 22 magnum since I carry a s and w revolver in 22 mag when on my farm.  

You said something that confused me.

28 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

They no longer buy or trade your gun and also now will not take your gun on consignment.   They used to all the time

If they will no longer buy your gun, or trade for your gun, or take your gun in on consignment

29 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

They usually have 2 or 3 used guns.  Yesterday they had over a dozen.

How did they get the used guns?

If they won't buy your gun or take it in trade, that sounds like all they would have in stock is new.

21 minutes ago, Alpo said:

If they will no longer buy your gun, or trade for your gun, or take your gun in on consignment

If they won't buy your gun or take it in trade, that sounds like all they would have in stock is new.

I think what's happening is the gun stores have been limited to what NEW guns they can get and they probably bought all the used guns they could as in Trigger Mike's case. They probably don't want any more used guns in case the new stock starts showing up. My 3 LGS that I go to have guns on back order but they said the supply is starting to loosen up and they expect new stock in soon. Just MHO

If the local Scheels here is any indication,  prices of ammo will start coming down as the shelves are full of 556/223, 9mm, 40, 45 acp and even some 38 spl.  Mostly hunting rounds for shotgun.  Components still not in evidence although what primers they do get go very quickly at 70-90/1,000.  Plenty of new pistols, rifles and shotguns on display.  Interestingly, no sxs shotguns, only semis and o/us.  No CAS style firearms in evidence.

58 minutes ago, Alpo said:

They used to buy or trade in the store or gun shows but they told me customers are not buying their new guns , buying the used ones instead so they are trying to drive people to the new guns and not take used ones anymore.  

If I have a choice between an old s and w 4006 for 500 and a new sig for 600, I would take the new sig.  

Not buying used guns to force people to buy new ones doesn’t seem to be a very good business plan to me.

The car dealers are buying up used cars as fast as they can because that’s what people are in the market for right now.. I get a couple of e mails a week from them with offers.

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not buying used guns to force people to buy new ones doesn’t seem to be a very good business plan to me.

I agree. There aren't many new guns out there that interest me anymore. Most of what I've been collecting the past couple of years have been vintage all-metal guns.

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I agree. There aren't many new guns out there that interest me anymore. Most of what I've been collecting the past couple of years have been vintage all-metal guns.

The same here. The only plastic gun I have is a Ruger LCP. 

4 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Yup.

7 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

If the local Scheels here is any indication,  prices of ammo will start coming down as the shelves are full of 556/223, 9mm, 40, 45 acp and even some 38 spl.  Mostly hunting rounds for shotgun.  Components still not in evidence although what primers they do get go very quickly at 70-90/1,000.  Plenty of new pistols, rifles and shotguns on display.  Interestingly, no sxs shotguns, only semis and o/us.  No CAS style firearms in evidence.

My lgs says he can’t get revolvers.  Seems the mfg are turning out plastic guns as fast as possible and don’t want to waste time on guns that take more time. Hence no sxs or revolvers.  They take more time to build.  

All the stores around me are Chuck full of S&W J frame revolvers as well as Taurus 856 revolvers. 
I haven’t seen any other new revolvers except for Ruger Wranglers and Heritage Rough Riders. 
There sure are a lot of 1911s, Glocks, S&W M&Ps and Springfields. 

I am starting to see a lot more AR type rifles and a few other variations of rifles but not many wood and steel guns. 

Archived