SASS Wire Forum

A few more shots

Utah Bob #35998

Took these with the Canon instead of the Iphone.

And a video (not mine)

Two idiots made us late coming back when they wandered off during the lunch break. How do you not hear four blasts of that whistle?

482 rounding the bend a few miles south of Cascade

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

Delighted that you got to go! I've ridden her twice, awesome experience. I'm not sure if they're still operating, but have also ridden the Cumbres and Toltec out of Chama, NM. Also awesome. The C&T runs along high country ridges as opposed to the Silverton running up a canyon. Just googled it, sounds like they're still around. I would recommend it highly.

JHC

https://cumbrestoltec.com/

3 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

They didn’t WANT to hear it!!

Should have left them in Silverton!

Well the train didn’t go to Silverton, it was the Cascade Canyon run. If they didn’t show up shortly the train would have left. And they would have sent a work car up later to haul em back. I imagine they would have paid for that. 
They put em on the last car just behind us. We were waiting in our car for them to come through so we could make em run the Gantlet, but they wouldn’t let them return to their own car. I suggested giving en a Will Smith.

Turns out the guy had been a problem before we left, climbing around on the equipment in the railyard despite the keep off signs. 

The first time I road the White Pass, ('96?)they were still using the steam locomotives. 

The first time my Father rode it was 1944!

Great trips. One we took every time we went to Alaska.

Here's SWMBO with the Steam Powered Snow Blower on display in Skagway.

66480005White Pass Steam Powered Snow Blower.JPG

Archived