SASS Wire Forum

John Deere in Europe

There is other tractor business in Europe, Caterpillar, for example. But the DEERE factory in Mannheim, Germany produces a new tractor every three minutes.  Europe does not have the enormous flatlands of the American prairies so enormous things like 40 gang plows don’t have demand.

51 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

There is other tractor business in Europe, Caterpillar, for example. But the DEERE factory in Mannheim, Germany produces a new tractor every three minutes.  Europe does not have the enormous flatlands of the American prairies so enormous things like 40 gang plows don’t have demand.

Also Europe has their own JD equivalent: Krone.

For a long time through mutual agreement each stayed in their own geographic territory. That’s changed.

I remember driving around in Austria and Germany and seeing tractors driving around in towns in market parking lots.

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I remember driving around in Austria and Germany and seeing tractors driving around in towns in market parking lots.

Shoot, I saw that in Indiana and Kansas last year!!

Mennonites!

19 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Me coming home from a day at the office in my Swiss vintage '69 off-road pick-up truck :D:lol:   ( It's a TP20 from AEBI , est. in 1883 )

AEBI-TP20_1b.thumb.jpg.65050c79ee94a24499495f1e4b4c9fb1.jpg

Equanimous Phil

37 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Me coming home from a day at the office in my Swiss vintage '69 off-road pick-up truck :D:lol:   ( It's a TP20 from AEBI , est. in 1883 )

AEBI-TP20_1b.thumb.jpg.65050c79ee94a24499495f1e4b4c9fb1.jpg

Equanimous Phil

I take it the engine is Loud :)

53 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Either that or it doesn't have a radio, so he's listening to his cell phone through earphones.

54 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

LOUD AS HELL!! Air cooled diesel engine that sits right next to you... The foto is a capture from a video that gives quite a good impression of the sound. Maybe I will upload it somewhere and post a link later.

I worked for Ford Tractor in the middle ‘70s. The parts catalogs included international applications. Some of the European models offered seating for passengers, highway gearing, different steering, and many small features more prevalent on American automobiles/trucks.

Many rural European families only owned a tractor and it served as their transportation as well as doing the agricultural tasks.  Some of these tractors would run forty mph!!

My Tractor is Blue and Made In the USA... 

My neighbours is Red also made in the USA... 

He informed me that it is 675 Horsepower,,, 598 Horsepower more than mine ....

Jabez Cowboy

This was told me by an old and dear friend who majored in Agriculture at Ohio State.

On the one hand he was known to pull a man's leg without mercy at the drop of a hat, and he was known to release a sombrero to the effect of gravity at frequent intervals.

On the other hand he knew his subject well.

He said farming in Europe is much smaller scale than here; in Switzerland, for instance, hay balers are not pulled behind the tractor.

Balers are made by Gravely, they are walk-behinds like a Gravely mower here, and they put out cute little miniature bales.

I have no idea if Deere & Co. or its subsidiaries makes anything of the sort, but that was the first thing to mind with John Deere in Europe.

Farming In Denmark is very different than here, the first time I walked out in a field of Wheat over which the farmer was touting as a bumper crop ( and he did indeed harvest 72 bushels per acre ) I thought wow this is sparse I can easily see the ground. My uncle in Denmark complains bitterly if his yield goes below 265 bushels per acre. and he grows potatoes for his second crop of the year... He has a large farm by Danish standards around 200 Acres.

Jabez Cowboy

Back about 1962/63 John Deere made a baler that made small high density bales. Today are very rare as they were way ahead of their time. Few were sold and even fewer have survived.

The marketing for them was that you could pack more weight on a truck with the smaller high density bales than you could with conventional bales. While it was true the idea never caught on.

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Back about 1962/63 John Deere made a baler that made small high density bales. Today are very rare as they were way ahead of their time. Few were sold and even fewer have survived.

The marketing for them was that you could pack more weight on a truck with the smaller high density bales than you could with conventional bales. While it was true the idea never caught on.

Part of the reason for that is likely that hay baled too tightly or baled damp/wet is liable to mold or worse, burn down the storage building.  I helped bale/haul/stack hay when I was a kid.  We never did it, but I recall more than one barn burning down as a result of damp/green hay bales being stacked in a barn. The hay rots and the heat causes any dry materials to ignite. The burning dry hay then gets the rotting hay burning and it’s almost impossible to put out!!

Archived