SASS Wire Forum

RPP Ranger Point Precision Brass Followers for Uberti

bgavin

RPP now has brass Marlin magazine followers for sale.
I inquired about the same for my 1873 Uberti in 44 mag.
RPP says they have other requests, and are now considering making brass followers for the Uberti rifles.

If you are interested, drop them a note and let them know.

IF I were king of SASS - that would be one of the first additional rules I would enact.

ALL magazine fed firearms would have a BRIGHTLY colored magazine follower.

This would assist in verification of empty rifles and 87/ 97 shotguns at the unloading table - by TRAINING shooters that it is required to see the (brightly colored) magazine follower to verify a long gun as empty.  That a shooter simply flicking the action open and closed without visual chamber check and magazine follower viewing is worthless.

Followers - either bright plastic or anodized would make the visual inspection much easier.

Wouldn't a brass follower look just like a brass cartridge?       GW

38 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Wouldn't a brass follower look just like a brass cartridge?       GW

My feeling as well.  The unloading table discipline to actually look and verify an empty magazine by seeing the follower is (for the most part) nonexistent - so making it more challenging to differentiate between follower and cartridge is a poor choice.

I like their bright blue anodized followers better.  Brass will become dull and look like a used case.

If it is inside the magazine… But, I’m a function over form guy and figure brass will be less prone to bind.

reading the comments over again I get the point made about the situation unloading table

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

If it is inside the magazine… But, I’m a function over form guy and figure brass will be less prone to bind.

reading the comments over again I get the point made about the situation unloading table

When I am watching the shooter unload; I always look to see the EMPTY chamber and the magazine follower.

Meaning I need to see inside the action on the Marlins/ 92's and the underside of the action on 66/ 73's - when I request a better look - I have been told,

"I cycled the action for you - that proves it's empty".

And I have been told this often enough to know that very few (shooters or unloading table watchers) understand whats required to actually "check" that a firearm is clear.

Colored followers would make the job easier to teach, understand and verify.

To @Creeker, SASS #43022's point, I was working the unloading table several years ago to State match.

Personally, on a 73, I don't care if you cycle the action or not. I want to see the empty chamber and flip it over and show me the follower. Marlins and 97's I can just look in the port and check both at the same time.

The shooter comes up throws the lever right quick and throws the rifle down the table.

Shooter had been having rifle issues all day. Anyway, I asked him to flip the rifle over so I can see the follower. They told me, no they didn't have to do that. I told them, yes, you do. Otherwise, I'm not clearing yet the unloading table.

Well, they flip the rifle over with a loud harrumph. Wouldn't you know it. No follower. Come to find out, it was binding in the tube. Not only that, they were still a rifle round left in there. 

He hadn't loaded an extra one or been called for shooting nine all day. He couldn't figure out how long he'd actually been carrying that round in that magazine tube. Could have been for weeks. 

I don't understand the excitement over "Brass" magazine followers.  Nice, shiny, BRIGHT stainless magazine followers have been available for DECADES.  Mine are ALL Stainless.

Besides, in a Marlin 45 it doesn't take long for what shows of the follower to turn black.

The follower on my 3 gun Mossberg is bright blue anodized and stands out literally like the sore thumb caused by the elevator on that shotgun. 
I never thought about checking that at a cowboy shoot. I will be checking them all at the reloading table now!

I agree with visually seeing the follower as I have had a cartridge hang up in the mag tube once.

That said; I shoot BP and all the followers in my guns be they original, brass, or stainless steel are now a dull grayish color. 

Archived