SASS Wire Forum

Do you have road trains in the US?

Buckshot Bear

No, I believe the most trailers allowed are 2,Which is considered a Full Tractor Trailer rather that a Semi. But That all I have seen on the east coast, other parts of the country may have different rules.

I've seen logging rigs in Brittish Columbia pulling up to four loaded trailers.  That's a real lot of tonage. They're a nightmare to meet on a dirt logging road, often travelling 60+ mph.  They have absolute legal right of way, so when you see the posted signs, you'd best just forget your fishing excursion and turn back.  

Tandem is the max allowable thank goodness. And prohibited in some states I believe.

In the USA there are states that allow more than 2 trailers.

That would be 3 trailers.

Those states are: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota and Utah

some states (like Calif) don’t allow more than one trailer 

however i can’t think of anywhere in the CONUS that more than 2 are allowed

In most cases, you will see a tractor pulling a single trailer. Most of the long haul trailers are 53 ft. Some special trailers are 56 ft, but you don't see them often. Local trailers might be anywhere from 27, 30, 40, or 48 ft. 

You will also see tractors pulling tandem doubles, both 27 ft. 

In some states, you will occasionally see triple 27s, but that's rare. On some eastern Turnpikes, tandem 40s are permitted. They can be on the Turnpike, but are seperated upon exiting it, with a second tractor taking one of them.  

My Oregon "Class A" Commercial Driver License had endorsements for Doubles/Triples, Tanker, and Hazardous Materials.

LINK

I dropped the CDL when I retired in 2017.

Like said you'll see 'turnpike doubles' a 53' and a 48' behind a sleeper cab on the Oklahoma turnpike 105 ft max length. 

Or a rocky mtn double with a 48' and a 28' pup 95 ft max

From the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Admin

fig02_2.gif.0fbeadd97956011e5dc507083b16f2db.gif

In Oregon 3 trailers are legal. 

I don’t recall ever seeing signs like they use in Australia, but I darn near changed lanes into the 3rd trailer of a semi one very early morning when I very first moved there. I was not awake until just a split second before making contact. :o

Many carriers do take them up on the 3 trailer option to get things from point A to point B. 
I new a guy that drove for UPS. He went from border to border with triples picking trailers up from one state line yard to drop off at another state line yard. 

6 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

In the USA there are states that allow more than 2 trailers.

That would be 3 trailers.

Those states are: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota and Utah

Add Ohio to that list, I’ve seen them and I also just looked it up. 

We just don’t have vast empty expanses, as does Australia, necessitating the need that haul freight in such a manner.

General safety concerns revolving around limited sight and braking distances, coupled with the fact we have a pretty good rail system for freight, makes it unnecessary.

Them Aussies like their Road Trains. :wub:

They make movies about them...

image.thumb.jpg.c29696db49aef15250bfa62669b7e331.jpg

7 hours ago, WOLFY said:

Ca. allows 2 trailers.

My CA, Class A CDL had the endorsement for doubles, tanker, Haz-mat and passenger along with manual transmission.

20 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I cannot imagine trying to back up with 5 long trailers!

You don't back up with even 2 - not more than a couple of feet anyway.   The connector tongues are designed to be pulled, not pushed.    Get them even a little out of line they'll snap like a dried twig.

Long combination vehicles are meant to go forward only.

3 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Like said you'll see 'turnpike doubles' a 53' and a 48' behind a sleeper cab on the Oklahoma turnpike 105 ft max length. 

Or a rocky mtn double with a 48' and a 28' pup 95 ft max

From the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Admin

fig02_2.gif.0fbeadd97956011e5dc507083b16f2db.gif

Of these I have driven triples, Turnpike doubles, Rocky Mountain doubles, singles in various sizes and types and pups. Triples = 3 x 28, TPD (usually) 2 x 48, RMD (usually 1 x 48 + 1 x 28) , pups are usually 28 but I owned a lift gate equipped 32 for a while. Never drove a “B” train but have seen several. “Semi” in general means there are wheels permanently attached to the rear while “full” indicates wheels on both ends of the trailer.  A hay wagon (or radio flyer toy) would be a permanent “full” while in triples the trailer attached to the tractor would be semi in conjunction with 2 & 3 being full by virtue of the use of the converter gear.  The general deciding factor as to what is used is the overall length limits (absent special permits for weight or length) set by government agencies which can vary by state or highway type. Interstate length limits can be overridden for safety reasons but in general are 115’5” for triples and 110’ for doubles (going from memory)
Hope that helps. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I'm missing Hazmat and Class A bus. There are VERY few Class A bus endorsements in the US - I was a CDL examiner here for five years, and CDL auditor toward the end, and never heard of one in Montana. A lot of folks think articulated buses are Class A, but they're actually Class B, as they are not made to be hooked up and unhooked with the pull of a pin or lever, hence they are not combination vehicles. The only Class A bus I've ever seen in the US was in Zion National Park.

CDLback.jpg

ClassAbus.jpg

20 hours ago, WOLFY said:

Calif. Allows doubles

7 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I'm missing Hazmat and Class A bus. There are VERY few Class A bus endorsements in the US - I was a CDL examiner here for five years, and CDL auditor toward the end, and never heard of one in Montana. A lot of folks think articulated buses are Class A, but they're actually Class B, as they are not made to be hooked up and unhooked with the pull of a pin or lever, hence they are not combination vehicles. The only Class A bus I've ever seen in the US was in Zion National Park.

CDLback.jpg

ClassAbus.jpg

Greetings to a fellow CDL examiner! After a long driving career I tried teaching/testing for about 9 years. Your configuration is an interesting one that I have not seen before. Here in Colorado the only class A buses I am aware of are on the downtown Denver Mall. Those units are set up like a train with the towed unit being attached by a reverse fifth wheel (fifth wheel on the "trailer" kingpin on the "tractor" unit. Both are upside down facing the ground. The hitch mechanism is under a platform that allows the passengers when in the "A" configuration to move from one unit to another through a tunnel of hooped fabric. Or if ridership is low leave the trailer unit at the yard and close the door to use just the bus unit. When I took my last refresher course summer of 2021, CDOT was considering calling them an articulated "B" vehicle (which I think is more correct) and dropping the "A" from the name as they do not meet the weight (80,000 #'s) or connection requirements (non-standard kingpin - 5th wheel).

articulated buses  Link to video

BTW not licensed to test in Montana but got sent up to our Billings facility a few times to fill in teach for our school there. Beautiful country you live in.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Since 1954, Helena has had a "tour train" consisting of a rubber tired tow vehicle made up to look like a locomotive, and 4 open air passenger cars behind it that takes tourists on a one hour tour around town. I've seen pictures of similar things operating in other states. This one is registered as a Class B bus. Nobody ever tested to operate it during the five years I was there, so I have no idea how that is done. Obviously, such a rig would be virtually impossible to back up or perform a 90 degree alley dock. As short coupled as it is, it would be quite an accomplishment to do it with just one car behind it.

TourTrain.jpg

23 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Do you have road trains in the US?

They ain't much fun to overtake and they ain't much fun to pass one even going the other way.

road-trains-multi-wheeled-freaks-11977_11.jpg.c9abf02eed0d63c222f88cf8e2f8a7ad.jpg

cVRPjq2jP3ClTmFQEN4lPTPmJfZJlUgt6bBbPWWLhqQ.thumb.webp.e5eb897620fc8327b9641fc97c49b446.webp

d9751dc4fabe1391a357baa67738ee64.jpg.c914235062efb0229a2a2f09e7bedb6d.jpg

gr10virotum11.webp.7dc42f11b5fa621b60e8fba28b53f907.webp

road-trains-1-original.jpg.e113e3aa428e0f16861214844a808b5a.jpg

road-trains-multi-wheeled-freaks-11977_6.jpg.d446428d8031ac35cd50f9e8220117bf.jpg

road-trains-multi-wheeled-freaks-11977_7.jpg.bc36cc9e38f206df0bf0577c52fbef9e.jpg

road-trains-multi-wheeled-freaks-11977_9.jpg.978c61f3c0d38c95d90e9a528fb50ab1.jpg

road-trains-multi-wheeled-freaks-11977_10.jpg.0afcca7bd68cd5e2fd84bfcbc30f9a2e.jpg

slide_11.jpg.ba029efe24f21f43f048d91710cc99d4.jpg

Nope. But I know some of your train drivers!:wub:

i recall from when i was young seeing something of that nature - not as long tho , but we have length restrictions , i still see UPS rigs with two trailers but not the real long ones , 

we still have military convoys moving here between wherever and camp ripley training center north of here then back , 

Just trying a little logic here.  The Australian road trains most likely don’t enter cities where they would have to make short turns.

Do they have terminals or depots where the trains are uncoupled or unloaded outside the cities?  Do they carry mixed cargo frequently and if so, do they employ separate tractors to make local deliveries or unload the train onto other trucks?

I have seen a few triples in the us.   Usually at night and for mail or packages.  They are short trailers, so not sure they hold a lot more than one big trailer, but may be easier to get one trailer to a specific distribution center without unloading a partial. 

Archived