SASS Wire Forum

Hard chrome 1873 Carbine Question

Being new coming back to the SASS Forum I am not sure where this question belongs. I also tried to do a topic search but came up empty handed. (Searches on most other websites are usually unproductive for me also).

I also have come up dry on pictures.

Now to my question. I have two Uberti 1873 Carbines. One is chambered for 32-20 and the other in 45 Colt. I have often thought of getting one refinished in Hard Chrome or Electroless Nickel. I am not interested in Ceracoat or paint. So I am curious to hear from some pards how refinishing a rifle or carbine is working out. Pictures would also be see.

If this topic has been covered please direct me to it. I can’t be the only shooter that wants to do this. Thank you in advance.

I ended using https://apwcogan.com/    For the brushed finish Hard Chrome

They are Really Good Folks !!!!

Here are the guns today..........

IMG_0972.thumb.jpg.4f73e623d4b2262913acd5c2b5c92e83.jpg

And a friend of mine had them do a '73 carbine in the same finish... It Looks Awesome!

54 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

I ended using https://apwcogan.com/    For the brushed finish Hard Chrome

They are Really Good Folks !!!!

Here are the guns today..........

IMG_0972.thumb.jpg.4f73e623d4b2262913acd5c2b5c92e83.jpg

Silver Sam,

That was your post from 2018 I posted forSeldom Seen;)

47 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Silver Sam,

That was your post from 2018 I posted forSeldom Seen;)

Nope....

The original Nickle plating was done at the same time I had the engraving done and had rubbed through in several places,  was starting to have rust issues.

So I send them to APW Cogan and they redid the finish in Hard Chrome.

Yep, That was my post but the pictures in it were when the Nickle finish was new.... like 15 years ago er'so........

I dont think I will ever be able to wear off the Hard Chrome.

4 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

And a friend of mine had them do a '73 carbine in the same finish... It Looks Awesome!

Any chance of seeing a picture?

but that is a vote of confidence.

My family owned an aero space certified plating co at one time.

Electroless nickel is totally different the electro plated nickel.

Electroless nickel is done in a bath and coats pretty evenly.

Once scratched it will peel in those areas. It will also change color quickly from handling.

Electro plated nickel does NOT plate very evenly there will be hi and lo spots and no spots.!!

Best electro plated nickel will first have a copper wash applied to make the nickel adhere better if done properly.

Both will fall victim to hoppes #9,  or other solvents.

Hard chrome is  esp durable but again hi,lo and no spots. Hard chrome can be very porous!!

My carry guns that were hard chromed I would strip and soak in a oil/solvent bath.

I would let it soak so said pores would have an oil deposit in them. Hard chrome will rust from

body sweat if not cared for and once it starts it comes from beneath the surface so only recourse

is to strip and replate.

As stated, APW / Cogan have been one of the best for years, call and talk with them.

hope this helps

20 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

My family owned an aero space certified plating co at one time.

Electroless nickel is totally different the electro plated nickel.

Electroless nickel is done in a bath and coats pretty evenly.

Once scratched it will peel in those areas. It will also change color quickly from handling.

Electro plated nickel does NOT plate very evenly there will be hi and lo spots and no spots.!!

Best electro plated nickel will first have a copper wash applied to make the nickel adhere better if done properly.

Both will fall victim to hoppes #9,  or other solvents.

Hard chrome is  esp durable but again hi,lo and no spots. Hard chrome can be very porous!!

My carry guns that were hard chromed I would strip and soak in a oil/solvent bath.

I would let it soak so said pores would have an oil deposit in them. Hard chrome will rust from

body sweat if not cared for and once it starts it comes from beneath the surface so only recourse

is to strip and replate.

As stated, APW / Cogan have been one of the best for years, call and talk with them.

hope this helps

Actually you have left me confused and thinking this is a bad idea. If I understand what you are saying is;

1. Electroless Nickel applies evenly but will peel if scratched and will discolor with use.

2. Electo Plate does not apply evenly meaning high and low and no spots.

3. Hard Chrome is durable but has high and low and no spots.

The blue finish on my Uberti 1873’s is in excellent condition. The factory blue does look uneven on the side plates maybe suggesting high and low spots in the steel from not being sanded down properly. 

So (#1) Electroless Nickel is out due discoloration with use.

1 and 2 will peel from Hoppe’s #9 or aggressive cleaners. So both are out.

That leaves (#3) Hard Chrome. Will being brushed hide the uneven surface?

Do all of these give unsatisfactory results on long gun with smooth steel? This as compared to bead blasted rough base metal such as on a shotgun.

Electro plating has been used a very long time just find a good one. 
electrodes are attached and current carries and deposits the plating material. Many times unevenly, esp the insides of frames and cylinders. I’ve  seen guns that couldn’t be put back together due to poor plating.

apw cogan KNOW what they are doing but there are others.

Electroless  nickel just like a coin will lose its luster the more it’s handled. It’s claim to fame is it is extremely rust resistant.
sorry if I added to your confusion.

I know about the problems with the plating building up on surfaces such as where the barrel meets the receiver I just didn’t understand what you were saying. I was drugged up from some surgery yesterday. Thank you the information. 

Archived