SASS Wire Forum

For Sale Marlin Cowboy 38 special short stroke JM

I have to sell another gun to fund a recent purchase.   I have a Marlin Cowboy 38 special with a Lassiter short stroke (Lassiter has not done a lot of these)

It is in super good shape, and has the 20 inch barrel, and it is JM marked, and it does have the Ballard rifling.

I have had it about 6 years now, and it runs great now.

After I had it about 6 months, it developed the dreaded "Marlin Jam"  I sent the carrier to Gunner Gatlin so that he could put the carbide ( I think that is what they use) insert in the bottom of the carrier.  That carrier will not ever wear out again.

Once I got it back, I could not get the timing right, so I sent the rifle down to Widder so that he could go through the rifle and get the timing right.  He worked on it and sent it back with a clean bill of health.   

Also during my time with the rifle, I have put the one piece firing pin in the bolt, replaced the main spring with a Palo Verde main spring, and put the Ranger Point Precision coil spring extractor in the bolt.  It also has a stainless follower in the tube.

If you are not familiar with the Marlin short strokes, it is very ammo specific as to OAL.   The overall cartridge length must be kept under 1.440, and I always tried to keep it at 1.430 or less.   The one good thing about the design is that it now uses an angle feed (like a Widdermatic), so it will feed most all bullet types.  The other thing is taking it apart.   With the short stroke, the ejector has to be moved forward.   There are two holes in the receiver where the ejector can go.   It goes in the one closest to the bolt face (not the factory hole, which is drilled all the way through the receiver) when assembling the rifle.

I ran it for another year after I got it back from Widder with no problems whatsoever.   After I retired it I had it professionally refinished, and it looks almost as good as new now.  The wood is also in excellent shape.

I have fired about 300 rounds after the refinish to make sure that there were no problems.  The person that did is is a friend, and he went very light on the buffing wheel so all of the lettering looks like new.   

The only negative to the rifle is that early in it's life, there must have been a squib in it.   It is really hard to notice, and you probably would not know if I did not tell you.   There is just a small patch in the barrel where the cleaning patch does not meet as much resistance as the rest of the bore.  I have fired thousands of rounds through it without any issues.

I have included a photo of the rifle with another Marlin Competition with no short stroke, and a Marlin .32 special (which has a shorter stroke than a normal Marlin) so that you can see the difference in the stroke length.   This rifle is in the middle.

I am asking $1600 plus shipping for this.   Normal short stroke Marlins are going for a minimum of $1800.  I settled on $1600 because of the squib issue.

I would gladly do a FTF at the Paradise Pass or in the Ft. Wayne, Indiana area so that you can shoot it.

If shipped, please make sure that your FFL takes deliveries from private individuals.  I will include a copy of my ID in the package for their transfer.

20220104_183801_resized_1.jpg

20220104_174658_resized_1.jpg

20220104_174706_resized_1.jpg

20220104_174703_resized_1.jpg

20220104_174710_resized_1.jpg

20220104_174646_resized_1.jpg

20220104_174631_resized_1.jpg

20220104_174636_resized_1.jpg

20220104_174640_resized_1.jpg

20220104_174538_resized_1.jpg

20220104_175051_resized_1.jpg

20220104_175153_resized_1.jpg

20220104_175114_resized_1.jpg

On 4/27/2022 at 9:44 AM, El Catorce said:

Darn it Walt…. If this doesnt sell soon I might need to send your check back +$ soon to pick this beauty up :/ 

decisions, decisions…. Smh 

It is Wild Walt, not Darn it Walt. LOL 

TM

2 hours ago, Wild Walt. 92206 said:

"Damn it Walt" sounds like a really good alias!

I may just do that.

Personally knowing El Catorce I would say he will charge you for his effort in your new alias. Probably cost you a rifle. LOL 

TM

39 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

Personally knowing El Catorce I would say he will charge you for his effort in your new alias. Probably cost you a rifle. LOL 

TM

Its not personal, this is business sonny

4 hours ago, El Catorce said:

Its not personal, this is business sonny

Sonny, I am old enough to be your daddy. LOL 

Archived