SASS Wire Forum

Becoming your parents

Rye Miles #13621

The commercials are dumb.

I cannot imagine my parents acting like that. Or any of my friends parents.

The actual parents in the commercials, and the parents that the kids are now morphing into - those are sitcom parents. Those are the way parents act in television situation comedies. Not the way parents act in real life.

My parents did not act like that. I don't act like that. The parents of my friends did not act like that. My friends now that they are grown do not act like that. My grown neighbors do not act like that. I have never seen a real person that acted like that.

Maybe they act like that up in Yankee land, or out on the Left Coast, or up in the Great Northwet. The people don't act like that here in the southeast.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

The commercials are dumb.

I cannot imagine my parents acting like that. Or any of my friends parents.

The actual parents in the commercials, and the parents that the kids are now morphing into - those are sitcom parents. Those are the way parents act in television situation comedies. Not the way parents act in real life.

My parents did not act like that. I don't act like that. The parents of my friends did not act like that. My friends now that they are grown do not act like that. My grown neighbors do not act like that. I have never seen a real person that acted like that.

Maybe they act like that up in Yankee land, or out on the Left Coast, or up in the Great Northwet. The people don't act like that here in the southeast.

They don’t act like that here in Ohio either!

Actually I do some of those things.  I comment when i see someone with blue hair, even now that my daughter does it.   I park at the end of the parking lot for easy escape even a church.  

My wife tells my children to go to the bathroom whenever you can just in case you won't have one later.  

30 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I do that on my own now days.  :D

Me three 

50 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I do that on my own now days.  :D

Go to the bathroom before leaving, or tell yourself to go to the bathroom before leaving?

very few of us deserve the good women that married us .......but then it took me three tries , can i get a little credit for perseverance ? it was a lot of work after all 

I was at one of our Hugh family reunion’s a couple years back and one of my older (96 year) old relatives said he had been watching me all day and said you are the spitting image of you father, I told him I considered that a great compliment and he said you certainly should.

On 4/24/2022 at 5:35 PM, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

USAA is great. F$$k progressive   Check out AMAC. I have my hot rod insurance through them. Much better. Also  if your a member of AARP, you’re spending you’re money on progressive programs. 

Gotta love AMAC, can't abide AARP and their leftist BS.

Another goodie (that costs nothing) is Hillsdale College's magazine.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Gotta love AMAC, can't abide AARP and their leftist BS.

Got my Humana Medicare supplement through them, (no cost), as well as Silver Slippers Gym membership, (again, no cost).

AARP thinks old people shouldn't have guns. 

I avoid products promoted by AARP!!  It’s NOT an association.  It’s a business run by people who do not represent anyone but themselves!!

On 4/25/2022 at 10:13 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

First it's a commercial and TV, not reality.

Second I find them to be very funny, since my parents did some of those things. And now I find myself doing some of them.

Their target audience is not our generation.

Much of their target audience doesn’t buy insurance.

That’s something that their parents WOULD do! :o <_<

On 4/24/2022 at 3:06 PM, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I find them funny, you guys get all wound up over people with "thin skin" then get all "thin skinned" over a commercial. It's meant to be funny get over it.

That's what I thought when I read the first post here.  I haven't seen the "offending" commercial, but commercials are supposed to be entertaining--that's why they're made.

When I saw the velcro for the remote, I cracked up and said"That's a great idea!" My lovely wife just gave me "The Look"...

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2022 at 6:39 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have USAA Auto and Home Insurance. They won’t cover bikes so I have a special deal through USAA with Progressive. 

I did not want to change my Auto, Home, and especially Umbrella Policies from USAA so I have a bike rider through Progressive as well. But it pained me immensely, since Progressive Insurance has donated to Anti-Gun groups and supported Anti-Gun legislation. The CEO and Courtney are ALSO extremely outspoken anti-gun promoters.

Happy to say I haven't seen the commercials that you are referring to!

I think they’re funny. 
And it occurred to me the other day that I’m becoming my grandfather. :lol:

34 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And it occurred to me the other day that I’m becoming my grandfather. :lol:

I hope that doesn't happen to me! All I can remember of my grandfather is his black 1950 Ford with tobacco juice all down the drivers side door!:blink:

On 4/24/2022 at 3:42 PM, Rip Snorter said:

I tried my best, and it worked out well as the kids are squared away adults.

Squared away? Haven't heard that since I was a active Marine. Good for you on the kids.

Archived