SASS Wire Forum

Becoming your parents

Rye Miles #13621

Is any anyone else a little insulted by the Progressive commercials where the guy is teaching younger people to NOT become their parents?

Is it so bad if younger people become their parents? Ya know us???

Maybe I’m watching too much TV!:P

The guy who’s instructing them is the one that’s the real idiot!!

And yeah, Rye!  You’re watching too much TV!! :o :lol:

I would be very complemented for someone to tell me I was like my parent. I can only wish to be half the man my father was.

Darned STOOOOOOPID commercials.  That arrogant burro is the epitome of what he is supposedly trying to prevent.   

I've written to that company to thank it for making my choices easier by eliminating themselves from consideration.

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Darned STOOOOOOPID commercials.  That arrogant burro is the epitome of what he is supposedly trying to prevent.   

I've written to that company to thank it for making my choices easier by eliminating themselves from consideration.

Good job! More people need to complain to these companies about stupid commercials !!;)

13 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

I would be very complemented for someone to tell me I was like my parent. I can only wish to be half the man my father was.

Exactly how I feel and I hope my sons feel the same about me and their mom,

Rye, I’ve felt that way since I was a kid. You’d be surprised how much your kids are like you. I see it all the time and I have no kids of my own

16 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Exactly how I feel and I hope my sons feel the same about me and their mom,

6 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I find them funny, you guys get all wound up over people with "thin skin" then get all "thin skinned" over a commercial. It's meant to be funny get over it.

Well one problem is it’s not funny at all!:o

22 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I find them funny, you guys get all wound up over people with "thin skin" then get all "thin skinned" over a commercial. It's meant to be funny get over it.

Maxwell the Pig was funny.  These are just STOOOOOOPID.

I don't watch commercials nor do I watch live TV. I record everything and skip the commercials. Recording news programs, even though I like Fox, enables me to skip the blather, and yes, even Fox has blather or things that don't interest me.

PF

If I would have done in life what my parents wanted me to do I would be a lot better off now. Sure didn't seem possible when I was 18... For the most part I did listen to my parents and I do not regret it. Although I have not seen the TV commercial I'm sure it would just piss me off.. Like most everything on TV does these days. Thank God I have a large collection of DVD's from John Wayne and Clint Eastwood and Kevin Costner and Sam Peckinpaw and John Ford... And John Milius for you 80s fans.

I did not become my parents and was never going to but they tell me I make them proud so that's good enough for me. And apparently for  them too.

Hint please. What commercial for a product I no longer want to buy? I need to know who doesn’t need my money. I do not watch regular TV. 

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hint please. What commercial for a product I no longer want to buy? I need to know who doesn’t need my money. I do not watch regular TV. 

Progressive Insurance 

2 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

But it isn’t funny. It’s basically depicting a meddlesome know-it-all telling others how to act.  Mostly, it makes fun of people who are mostly sensible and often thrifty, encouraging them to be less so.

I am not offended by the references depicted.  I’m offended by the stupidity of these doofuses and the garbage that they think is of any importance!!

Like so many of today’s commercials, the producers of this crap insult people of even average intelligence and the makers of the products themselves assume that everyone will be amused!! It isn’t funny and it does NOTHING to explain or inform about the product!!

As SDJ said, it’s just STOOOPID!! I’m not one who tolerates stupidity!

15 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Progressive Insurance 

Son of a….

I have USAA Auto and Home Insurance. They won’t cover bikes so I have a special deal through USAA with Progressive. 

I don’t have anything to do with Progressive!! When my son bought a new truck after moving away from home, he got insurance from Progressive. Brand new truck, spotless driving record, long term employment, over twenty years old. The initial quote was decent. A week later, they nearly doubled the rate. They said he was too young to get the original rate they’d quoted. It was higher, but still affordable.  A week later, they jacked up the rate again, saying that the truck was a high performance vehicle and a high end luxury trim package.

We told them to stick it up their ____ and bought insurance elsewhere.  I told him to tell them that he wasn’t going for any bait and switch!!

In the twenty plus years since, he’s never filed a claim and STILL has a spotless driving record!!

Are these the commercials? If so I think @Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 is correct. It’s humorous. 

A compilation:

My bike insurance is safe…

Also, Progressive Insurance is the best Motorcycle Insurance I have ever had. 

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Are these the commercials? If so I think @Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 is correct. It’s humorous. 

A compilation:

My bike insurance is safe…

Also, Progressive Insurance is the best Motorcycle Insurance I have ever had. 

I don’t find them funny at all! They’re making fun of OUR generation. I find it stupid if anything!

53 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Son of a….

I have USAA Auto and Home Insurance. They won’t cover bikes so I have a special deal through USAA with Progressive. 

USAA is great. F$$k progressive   Check out AMAC. I have my hot rod insurance through them. Much better. Also  if your a member of AARP, you’re spending you’re money on progressive programs. 

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well one problem is it’s not funny at all!:o

They're not funny, they're downright informative.  I would yell every time the one came on about having throw pillows on the couch, not allowing people to sit.  The newer one with the remote velcroed down made me go get some adhesive velcro strips.  

im offended by most commercials these days for various reasons but to your point - there is nothing wrong with becoming your parents in my book , i feel they had a way more "progressive outlook" in that they wanted to better themselves and educated us to do better yet , the problem i see is that the word "progressive" has been stolen by those that want to regress society - dumb it down - take all the rights away , 

not being political here , its the philosophy of life and who should enjoy it im looking at , education [other than the current sex education ] is getting ignored , 

i had no issue with my parents [save a couple years when i thought they were trying to restrict me] they lived well , within their means , trying to have their children have a better life than they did and giving back to their parents , i hope i am like them , 

in these days of everyone being offended buy stupid crap im offended that someone should think i wouldnt want to be like my parents , they were good honest hard working americans that paid their taxes and respected the country they lived in , me too 

1 hour ago, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

Well I definitely enjoyed the "So easy even a caveman can do it" commercials.

Those were funny and didn’t poke fun at or demean ANYONE!!

We all become our parents, that's the joke. I think if that series ran it's course we'd find out that "life coach" is acting just like his father. I don't see these as "making fun of" but "poking fun at''. With Ohio's senate seat up for grabs I'd rather see these than any more political adds.

Archived