SASS Wire Forum

Rimfire challenge

Rye Miles #13621

12 shooters, categories vary depending on what gun you shoot, open sights, scopes, red dots etc pistol and rifles. 
I don’t have the scores but I won lever action category and single action category. Henry.22 and Wranglers.
ALMOST as much fun as cowboy shooting ALMOST!:D

At the last match I shot, 22LR was allowed by the match director.
This was grand, because I was loathe to shoot center fire components without being able to replenish them.
Shooting 22LR was the difference between shooting the match and staying home.

I have a pair of Bisley Single Six and a Henry Frontier, and buckets of 22LR cartridges.
These are wonderful good fun at a match.

Next Sat. I'm shooting a defensive pistol course, 450 rounds. A few days ago I was at the local gun store, powder is $45-50 per pound and no pistol primers. I was gonna shoot one of my 9mm's, but like bgavin said, I don't want to burn that much ammo. This outfit will rent a slick Taurus .22 with leather and mags for $20, so I'm gonna go that route. I too have a pile of .22's in stockpile, but I almost never shoot .22's anymore so I figure that will be a good use for them.

JHC

sounds like fun , but ya gotta replace your 22s as well , not sure id think them easier than the centerfire components these days ...........unless you have a lot stockpiled maybe ????????????

7 hours ago, watab kid said:

sounds like fun , but ya gotta replace your 22s as well , not sure id think them easier than the centerfire components these days ...........unless you have a lot stockpiled maybe ????????????

You can buy 22 lr direct from Federal and CCI.  Prices are comparable to stores, and if you buy more than $100, it ships free.

My home club has had a Old Buckaroo category for a while now so that people can shoot their .22s.  We also have a separate mini-Rimfire Challenge match. 4 categories, Pistol and Rifle with optics or iron sights.  Shoot 4 stages. Each firearm shoots the sequence 5 times with your worst time thrown out.

Yesterday we had well over a dozen shooters with most shooting in two categories. We finished the match in under 3 hours by having several us us TO and as 4 or 5 shooters finished the first stage they moved to the second while the rest finished up on stage one. 

17 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

You can buy 22 lr direct from Federal and CCI.  Prices are comparable to stores, and if you buy more than $100, it ships free.

that sounds good - ive not tried to buy lately as i do have a stock 

On 4/25/2022 at 7:16 AM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Walmart had 325 Federal .22's for $21.95, limit 3 boxes. I bought 3 so $67.00 +tax for 975 rounds.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Walmart had 325 Federal .22's for $21.95, limit 3 boxes. I bought 3 so $67.00 +tax for 975 rounds.

I'm buying "quiet" ammo for my suppressor mostly.  WW don't carry that.  

Archived