SASS Wire Forum

Remember all these?

Buckshot Bear

Still have a couple of the top ones. The grandkids like to cook pies over the fire pit on the patio, Wonder  bread works best for the crust.

1 minute ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Had a flip out toaster without the "platform" on top until I was in college.  Those other items are totally unrecognizable in my memory

WHAT ??  :o

......you never heard of a "jaffle iron" nor the ubiquitous ceramic "electric jug" with spare elements (which were needed every time you allowed the thing to boil dry) ... ???  :huh:

2 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

......you never heard of a "jaffle iron" nor the ubiquitous ceramic "electric jug" with spare elements (which were needed every time you allowed the thing to boil dry) ... ???  :huh:

Nope.

The 'electric jug' doesn't look familiar at all.  Remember, Americans are predominantly coffee drinkers, so an electric tea pot ain't high on our must-have list.  I can remember seeing electric coffee pots (perculators) that would have been similar in concept but they were metal with a plastic base where all of the electrical components were located.

3 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Nope.

The 'electric jug' doesn't look familiar at all.  Remember, Americans are predominantly coffee drinkers, so an electric tea pot ain't high on our must-have list.  I can remember seeing electric coffee pots (perculators) that would have been similar in concept but they were metal with a plastic base where all of the electrical components were located.

not an electric tea pot, ... an electric jug for boiling the water that you put in the tea pot, or your cup of instant coffee, or bonox, or instant gravy mix, or hot chocolate, ..... or ....

:)

Now I remember the electric pot - I can't remember if mine was metal or ceramic.  In any as, here is a tip....you cannot do a good job of boiling buckwheat in the contraption.   While they will cook, they stick horribly to the element.  Used that in college in the dorm during semester break.

STL Suomi

On 4/23/2022 at 5:24 PM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

My wife had an electric heater with a proper sized cup that kept her coffee hot, but the heater wasn't in the cup, it was under it.  Kind of like an electric coaster.

I am amazed that all of you people say you have never heard of a pie iron.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pie+iron&t=fpas&iax=images&ia=images

They are still being made. They seem to be used mostly these days for making hot sandwiches. Put a piece of bread in it, put some ham and cheese on the bread, another piece of bread, close it and put it in the campfire or put it on the stove burner - take your choice.

40 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I woulda thought those jug were worldwide Wallaby.

With the pie press in the top picture I open a can of cherry pie filling and get 2 slices of Wonder for each pie. Press one slice of bread into each side of the press, leaving the crust out and add a couple of table spoons of pie filling to one side and then close the press and trim off the crust that will be hanging out and let them hold it over the fire pit with the long handle. You have to coach them to turn it over occasionally while it is over the fire but if they do it right they have a nice cherry pie with crispy crust very similar to pie crust. My wife will sometimes sprinkle on cinnamon and sugar on the sides of the bread that is pressed into the sides of the press and when the pie is cooked the crust will have a nice crisp cinnamon, sugar exterior.

And then we have the electric kettle.

https://www.amazon.com/electric-kettles/b?node=289753

Alton Brown was always talking about them. It's a wonderful thing. Boils water faster than a microwave. Use it for tea or hot chocolate or instant coffee or ramen noodles, or whatever else you need hot water for.

I've not seen one with replaceable elements before - that must really be old school. But they are still around, and there's one sitting on my kitchen counter right now.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:11 PM, Alpo said:

And then we have the electric kettle.

https://www.amazon.com/electric-kettles/b?node=289753

Alton Brown was always talking about them. It's a wonderful thing. Boils water faster than a microwave. Use it for tea or hot chocolate or instant coffee or ramen noodles, or whatever else you need hot water for.

I've not seen one with replaceable elements before - that must really be old school. But they are still around, and there's one sitting on my kitchen counter right now.

My daughter gave me one of those for Christmas a few years back.  Great for what it's meant to do.  Top cool to boil in about 90 seconds.

12 hours ago, watab kid said:

small pistol primers ? thought they were extinct 

I was sweeping up a little spilled BP and found one in the wild in the powder!  After surgurically removing it and polishing it with Flitz I am making a shadow box for it and will hang it on the wall in the gun room.

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.272ddc92e162c0619195eb8cfe83adaa.jpeg

DSC_0003.thumb.jpeg.4d98be20262b4b38907f90d2dfcb31d1.jpeg

12 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I was sweeping up a little spilled BP and found one in the wild in the powder!  After surgurically removing it and polishing it with Flitz I am making a shadow box for it and will hang it on the wall in the gun room.

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.272ddc92e162c0619195eb8cfe83adaa.jpeg

DSC_0003.thumb.jpeg.4d98be20262b4b38907f90d2dfcb31d1.jpeg

might be worth starting a stud farm and breeding them , if you do ill invest , the demand is fairly large and we could expand to large when we capture enough market to finance it 

Archived