SASS Wire Forum

IMR SR 4756 in .45 Colt

RattlesnakeCharlie

I just got back from range where I tried out some loads of IMR SR 4756 in .45 Colt. Data looked promising. I used 8.6 gr behind a 255 gr RFN. Manual said 776 fps. I got barely over 700 with a lot of unburned powder in the casings. Didn't smoke bad. Looks like dirty Unique. But, I have 5 pounds of it. I think I'll try 9 grains next, a max load.

Anyone else use 4756 in .45 Colt?

Sr4756 has a reputation of going from nice shooting load to oh my God with very little change in load so be careful using Max loads of that powder in anything

Can't help with 45 Colt , but I remember loading some in 44 Mag cases way back. Checked my records , loaded 7.4 grs. under a 200 gr. RNFP (no maker listed) , Fed 155 primer.  Another load was 7.3 grs under a 245 gr Keith SWC that I cast , WLP primer , I have it noted at 850 FPS , and very accurate.

I do not remember seeing SR 4756 for several years now , I thought it had been discontinued some time back.

Good luck , 

Rex :D

P.S. Went and checked date of those loads today 4/25/2022 ; was 4/21/1996. Where the heck did all those years go.

Discontinued powder, for about 6-8 years now.  Was great for heavy field 12 gauge loads and some heavy pistol cartridges.

I'd trade a couple pounds of Clay Dot per pound of 4756, up to 4 pounds of your powder.  Then you would have a great powder to load in .45 Colt.  PM me if you are interested.

(I'm in Albuquerque).

good luck, GJ

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2022 at 3:21 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Discontinued powder, for about 6-8 years now.  Was great for heavy field 12 gauge loads and some heavy pistol cartridges.

I'd trade a couple pounds of Clay Dot per pound of 4756, up to 4 pounds of your powder.  Then you would have a great powder to load in .45 Colt.  PM me if you are interested.

(I'm in Albuquerque).

good luck, GJ

Timing was everything. Just no time to make it to ABQ.

Settled on 9.0 grains of 4756. Runs about 725 fps. Burns cleaner than the 8.6 did. Just finished up loading all my empty .45 Colt brass. Should last me the summer and maybe more. Perfectly fills a .30 cal can. The red is from the red patio table umbrella.

20220526_191719[1].jpg

IMHO I don't think it is a good powder for the cowboy game. I used lots for loading 20 ga skeet loads back in the day, so had some left when I began cowboy. Early on in testing had a squib that stuck a bullet in the bore. After that I just didn't trust the powder. It seems position sensitive and sometimes didn't ignite reliably. IIRC there was also some unburnt powder. 

It may work well at certain power levels, in some calibers, but I don't have confidence in it. YMMV.

My load for 45 LC was with Trail Boss. I will be again when ADI starts making it again. In the mean time I've been working on loads for 45 S&W Schofield. 3.7 grains of 452AA and a 230 gr 45 Auto bullets makes a dandy cowboy load. It doesn't seem to mind what primer I use, very small difference in performance. 

Tomorrow will be my first match with my pair of open tops in 45 Schofield. Love the caliber, fun shooting guns, but the fit and quality control of Uberti handguns is a real disappointment

BB. 

Archived