SASS Wire Forum

DIY Guide to Making Your Own Affordable Ballistics Gel

Sedalia Dave

DIY Guide to Making Your Own Affordable Ballistics Gel

First order of business. I am not claiming nor will I ever claim that this homemade formula is going to behave or perform the same as a true 10% Ballistic Gelatin FBI Block. There are rigorous and precise standards for manufacturing and testing a block but since I don’t have access to a 600 fps air gun or an affordable source of clear gelatin to make mine with, we’ll just be using these gel blocks as something similar to real ballistics gel. Even though these blocks might not meet FBI standards, I still think they can give us valuable information about our own hunting and self-defense ammunition. The aim of this DIY article is just to provide you with an affordable and consistent testing medium for your own purposes.

You can also order it right from Knox in 20lb cannisters. That's what I did when I was the firearms goo-RU back when.  I was able to get the water heater up to 150 at the faucet but it took 24 hours to get there and the tank had enough water to make six or eight 8x8x24 blocks. No, we didn't use this for any other purpose like showering. It was in an old doublewide we got from county parks used mainly for storage. Not only did we use this for testing duty rounds, I included a segment in our state instructor course and also did demos for other agencies that needed technical support selecting duty ammo. My agency is still using the ammunition specs I did two decades ago. Gold Dot is still it but Hornady/Federal also make some excellent rounds not to mention SUperVel.

I just use the green Jello in a milk jug. The good part is that you can eat the part that's not destroyed by the bullet...kind of like hunting.:o

Seriously though, thanks for the link. 

Archived