DeaconKC

Couldn't resist this today for my main match guns

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrinLaunch

coffincase1.jpg

coffincase2.jpg

coffincase3.jpg

54 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Pretty nice! Who from?

They're called coffin cases, they make them for guitars. I had a friend set one up for his Tommy Gun.

11 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

They're called coffin cases, they make them for guitars. I had a friend set one up for his Tommy Gun.

They who? Who makes em? I can only find guitar size ones.

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They who? Who makes em?

coffincase4.jpg

On 4/23/2022 at 12:55 AM, DeaconKC said:

I've seen them too....:o

MV5BMTg4ODczOTcxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzk4NDYyNA@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.815c8d3ec2eb980df392a5e1e528214e.jpg

So was this one modified for you?

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

So was this one modified for you?

Nope, got it from @Doc Pullum, SASS #50647, he might know more about it.

I would put something between your guns unless you don’t mind them banging into each other as you carry the case. 
I used to have a rectangular aluminum gun case. Looked great except the foam and velour wasn’t enough to keep the guns in place. There was no cutouts for the guns. 

On 4/24/2022 at 1:05 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would put something between your guns unless you don’t mind them banging into each other as you carry the case. 
I used to have a rectangular aluminum gun case. Looked great except the foam and velour wasn’t enough to keep the guns in place. There was no cutouts for the guns. 

All my gun cases have cutouts that keep the firearms from shifting around.  First thing I do is throw the pluck foam in the trash. Replace it with a rigid closed cell polyethylene foam. The nice thing about the closed cell polyethylene foam is it is non-abrasive.  I buy it in 1 inch thick sheets. First cut it to the dimensions of the case, then lay the firearm on it and trace the outline with a sharpie. Cut it out with a serrated steak knife. This way the cutouts can be tailored to the thickness of the firearm. Glue the sheets together with 3M 77 spray adhesive. Then I cover it with a heavy wool trade cloth. folding and conforming it to the cutouts. Do not glue the cloth in but wrap it around the edges of the foam so that when it is put back into the case it is held in place.

The egg carton foam in the lid keeps the guns from shifting and the wool protects the finish. By using a more rigid foam individual firearms can be placed much closer together.

I can get all my main match gun is a single 42" case.

CAA65A85-E453-4A40-9781-716497DC1976.thumb.jpeg.7109b4bf6790e4f526324c3d104b2ffa.jpeg

Here is an old thread that covers making custom inserts and where to source the foam.

Similar to what I do. This case has eggshell in the top and the bottom. I got some 1-inch thick stiff foam, and cut it to fit the interior of the case. Laid the pistols on the stiff foam, traced around them, then cut them out. Now the pistols fit in the cutout slots, they are resting on the eggshell foam below the stiff foam, which collapses under them when I shut the lid.

36568039_USFirearmsSAA38WCF.jpeg.60f42c9eae5f0174781956b913e69a2b.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Similar to what I do. This case has eggshell in the top and the bottom. I got some 1-inch thick stiff foam, and cut it to fit the interior of the case. Laid the pistols on the stiff foam, traced around them, then cut them out. Now the pistols fit in the cutout slots, they are resting on the eggshell foam below the stiff foam, which collapses under them when I shut the lid.

36568039_USFirearmsSAA38WCF.jpeg.60f42c9eae5f0174781956b913e69a2b.jpeg

I have a case very similar to that one.

On 4/24/2022 at 1:05 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You guys are dead on about shifting. So I grabbed some extra padding material to add to it. I decided to try the "shake" test first and with just one gun in it, shook it. Absolutely no movement. So I then put 2 inside and tried it again with still no movement. I was really surprised at the quality of the padding. For a case that I bought just because it looked so good, it is a really well made product. I will probably watch for one of their larger cases now for my long guns.

Archived