SASS Wire Forum

perhaps this belongs in the saloon ? Ammo / component shortage ?

First off im NOT trying to pick a fight here but I have been thinking lately that perhaps the ammo makers have been shoveling a bit of BS at those of us who shoot and perhaps I'm wrong but here's why I dont think we should be patting them on the back for their efforts to get ammo out to the main stream.

We are shooters, if you pull the trigger on a gun in competition your a shooter whether its SASS, CAS, 3 gun or one of the dozen plus pistol, shotgun, rifle disciplines your a shooter AND you reload, probably a lot, Now think about ALL the people you know who have guns that are NOT shooters, they just plink now and then or "just have a gun for protection or hunting once a year" that includes ALL the new first time buyers over the past 2 years, I did this , I know a LOT of people with guns who are not shooters, guess what ? I probably shoot more rounds in one year than they all shoot combined in 10 years or more, bet most of you are in the same boat. Did they buy massive amounts of ammo in the past 2 years ? NOPE they did not, did they shoot a lot ? NOPE they never did before and that dident change, did the newbie shooters of the past 2 years buy massive amounts of ammo ? I doubt it in fact from what I see most of them will buy 200 or 300 rounds, learn they cant hit the target then put the gun away with a loaded mag "just in case " a very SMALL percentage will earn the shooting bug and join us but most will not.

So where did all the massive amounts of ammo that Vista and other companies produce go to ? the only place I can figure is it was bought by hoarders because it not being fired on the range from what I have seen and heard from range operators, What I do know for POSITIVE is that shooters are getting screwed on prices everywhere you look and the industry keeps saying they are SORRY because they have to take care of the factory ammo supplies first and us LAST, I keep thinking back to who actually spends the big bucks on ammo, my thousands and thousands of rounds of components EVERY year or the 100 rounds the factory shooter may or may not use, I know lots of shooters dont shoot thousands of rounds a year but lots do and I know a lot of non shooters who have mold growing on the last box of ammo they bought.

The ammo that hoarders bought are one time sales because it wont get shot, the newbie panic gun buyers will never buy much ammo in their lives and we shooters that would be launching bullets in large numbers with great glee and spending cash in large amounts are sitting here with cash in hand drooling on our pc keyboard waiting for a email from some company saying they have 5K primers in stock and we each can have 100 if we want to pay $20 plus $26 for hazmat plus $15 for shipping, I really feel those of us who shoot are the ones keeping the industry floating and we are paying for it in a BAD way. 

In these times I feel those of us who shoot need to support all the shooting disciplines (including the ammo makers)from 3 gun to flintlocks, we are all shooters and a lot of people dont like us and I wish the ammo manufactures would pay more attention to those of us who actively spend time and money using their products because once we stop so does their pay checks. If they want money I have it to spend just get your products to us and stop the price gouging thats going on, keep shooting a sport Americans can afford to enjoy because at this point there is NO WAY I can get others interested in shooting sports its just way to expensive, I just dont buy into the whole supply issue, I know there are issues but there seems to be plenty of factory at HIGH prices available but just reloading scraps at UNREASONABLE prices for us. For what its worth Im sending out emails to the ammo makers with my gripe, I dont know what else to do but im gonna voice my thoughts for what they are worth

ORR

55 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

First off im NOT trying to pick a fight here but I have been thinking lately that perhaps the ammo makers have been shoveling a bit of BS at those of us who shoot and perhaps I'm wrong but here's why I dont think we should be patting them on the back for their efforts to get ammo out to the main stream.

We are shooters, if you pull the trigger on a gun in competition your a shooter whether its SASS, CAS, 3 gun or one of the dozen plus pistol, shotgun, rifle disciplines your a shooter AND you reload, probably a lot, Now think about ALL the people you know who have guns that are NOT shooters, they just plink now and then or "just have a gun for protection or hunting once a year" that includes ALL the new first time buyers over the past 2 years, I did this , I know a LOT of people with guns who are not shooters, guess what ? I probably shoot more rounds in one year than they all shoot combined in 10 years or more, bet most of you are in the same boat. Did they buy massive amounts of ammo in the past 2 years ? NOPE they did not, did they shoot a lot ? NOPE they never did before and that dident change, did the newbie shooters of the past 2 years buy massive amounts of ammo ? I doubt it in fact from what I see most of them will buy 200 or 300 rounds, learn they cant hit the target then put the gun away with a loaded mag "just in case " a very SMALL percentage will earn the shooting bug and join us but most will not.

So where did all the massive amounts of ammo that Vista and other companies produce go to ? the only place I can figure is it was bought by hoarders because it not being fired on the range from what I have seen and heard from range operators, What I do know for POSITIVE is that shooters are getting screwed on prices everywhere you look and the industry keeps saying they are SORRY because they have to take care of the factory ammo supplies first and us LAST, I keep thinking back to who actually spends the big bucks on ammo, my thousands and thousands of rounds of components EVERY year or the 100 rounds the factory shooter may or may not use, I know lots of shooters dont shoot thousands of rounds a year but lots do and I know a lot of non shooters who have mold growing on the last box of ammo they bought.

The ammo that hoarders bought are one time sales because it wont get shot, the newbie panic gun buyers will never buy much ammo in their lives and we shooters that would be launching bullets in large numbers with great glee and spending cash in large amounts are sitting here with cash in hand drooling on our pc keyboard waiting for a email from some company saying they have 5K primers in stock and we each can have 100 if we want to pay $20 plus $26 for hazmat plus $15 for shipping, I really feel those of us who shoot are the ones keeping the industry floating and we are paying for it in a BAD way. 

In these times I feel those of us who shoot need to support all the shooting disciplines (including the ammo makers)from 3 gun to flintlocks, we are all shooters and a lot of people dont like us and I wish the ammo manufactures would pay more attention to those of us who actively spend time and money using their products because once we stop so does their pay checks. If they want money I have it to spend just get your products to us and stop the price gouging thats going on, keep shooting a sport Americans can afford to enjoy because at this point there is NO WAY I can get others interested in shooting sports its just way to expensive, I just dont buy into the whole supply issue, I know there are issues but there seems to be plenty of factory at HIGH prices available but just reloading scraps at UNREASONABLE prices for us. For what its worth Im sending out emails to the ammo makers with my gripe, I dont know what else to do but im gonna voice my thoughts for what they are worth

ORR

Well said ORR

• Eliphalet R. Moderator changed the title to perhaps this belongs in the saloon ? Ammo / component shortage ?

Now that some people have seen how high the top prices for hard to get components or ammo reached some people will hoard in anticipation of being able to get those prices if a shortage comes up again in a couple of years. 

I'm not saying that shortages are over or that prices have bottomed out at whatever level they will end up at.  But they want to be ready to sell $200+ primers and $50+ dollar boxes of 9mm if the opportunity comes again.

Yes, it’s a conspiracy. We are all going to die…

I’m kidding. 

about the conspiracy…

:P

I’m not sure if this is rant about corporate greed or a plea to organize a union for the collective good of the oppressed. 

Sorry to be so blunt, but to me there are more important inflationary pressures that affect us deeply. 

This is recreation. Adjust accordingly. 

I think shops are getting higher profits when they can. If Sportsman's Warehouse can sell Federal primers at $5.99 per hundred, which they are when they have them, then other retailers can, but they are not because people are buying them as fast as they can at $89-$100 per brick. It's not like Sportsman's is losing money on primer sales and they sure don't have some secret track to low-cost primers. Midway, Brownells, Basspro, and all the rest are obviously reaping the rewards of the current market. It's just like the .22 shortage after Sandy Hook. The problem is caused by folks buying all they can, when they can, need them or not, hoping to make a profit, or afraid they might not get more anytime soon.

Basic rules of supply and demand apply, whether you like it or not.

Similar situations every panic since 1994, only difference this time is everything is being hoarded, or bought and flipped, not just 9mm, or 22LR.

Competition shooters are a minority of gun owners, depending on which set of statistics you want to pick. 

Somewhere around 20-30 million competition shooters, versus 100+ million gun owners, around 8 million new owners in the last couple years, if each of those bought 100 rounds, that's 800 million.  Lot of bullets and primers there.

Lesson you need to learn is, when things calm down, buy it cheap, and stack it deep.

He made several good points that the industry should Consider ...

On a Normal Year pre COVID I used around 80,000 primers a year.

And kept about the same amount in reserve. 

Jabez Cowboy

1 hour ago, Howlin Mad Murdock SASS #4037 said:

Basic rules of supply and demand apply, whether you like it or not.

Similar situations every panic since 1994, only difference this time is everything is being hoarded, or bought and flipped, not just 9mm, or 22LR.

Competition shooters are a minority of gun owners, depending on which set of statistics you want to pick. 

Somewhere around 20-30 million competition shooters, versus 100+ million gun owners, around 8 million new owners in the last couple years, if each of those bought 100 rounds, that's 800 million.  Lot of bullets and primers there.

Lesson you need to learn is, when things calm down, buy it cheap, and stack it deep.

Done that for years ,  Why I have the ammo I have I still have more than most retailers , Not uncommon for me to go to the Hills and take 5-7 k and shoot . It does help that I bought off the dock of Ultramax and BHA by the pound I still buy . So Hoarder no I use it . Reload just cowboy rounds 

Archived