SASS Wire Forum

Bass Pro downer

Abilene, SASS # 27489

Tuesday I decided to make a run to the Bass Pro in Round Rock, TX.  I don't go often because I never find anything I need (including pre-pandemic.  They might have had some powder I could use but higher priced than anybody).  Well, same thing.  The ammo aisle was absolutely overflowing with ammo of all types (no shotshells useful for CAS, though).  A ways back we were told that all the primer production was going to making ammo for all those new gun owners.  Okay, the ammo has been made.  Now sell us the primers!

Okay, rant over. 

I don't expect to see many primers until folks stop paying $100+  for them. Sucks if you're out however. But even still folks are hoarding even at these prices.:ph34r:

Winchester just got a $145 million dollar order for 38spl, 9mm, and 45acp ammo from the US Army.  Takes priority over commercial orders.  When do you think you'll see Winchester pistol primers?  Oh, and Winchester is operating the Lake City military pistol and rifle ammunition plant.

Don't hold your breath.

Could be worse.  I live close to a Cabela's.   They get Bass Pro leftovers       GW

2 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Winchester just got a $145 million dollar order for 38spl, 9mm, and 45acp ammo from the US Army.  ...

Well, at today's prices that's about two pallets of ammo? :)

And what the heck is the Army doing with 38 Spcl?

Bass Pro in Colorado Springs two weekends ago had about 6 pounds each of Ramshot Enforcer and LT-30. The Enforcer was $35 and LT-30 $45. I bought a pound of Enforcer for .44 mag. That is all the powder they had. No primers. Yes, the ammo aisles were fairly well stocked. Not so much for trap loads. I bought the only flat they had. It was $19. I scoured several other stores in town (including Sportsman's Warehouse) and no one had powder or primers. The independent shops had ammo, and even some trap loads at $109. WalMart is starting to have trap loads again. Found a few that had the cartons of 4 boxes of 25 Federal for $29.99.

I have seen primers twice at my local Bass Pro/Cabelas. SPP once and LPP once. Apparently they always put out primers on a day I work. I guess I got lucky as what I saw was what was unsold the day after my normal work rotation. They did have a limit. Timing was perfect as primers were the only item left a friend needed as I just had gotten him set up to start reloading. Wheeeew. :)

On 4/23/2022 at 4:15 PM, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

38 Special revolvers are still issued to flight crews.

And Military Police. 

Scheels in Sparks, NV, had a number of boxes of 1000 CCI small rifle primers in stock; $129.99 for each this past weekend...

I don't think the price for a 1000 of any primer type will ever go lower than $100, if and when they become more available again, as the market has proven people will still buy at those prices. It has become the 'rate limiting step' in the production of home made reloads and everyone knows it.

I was at Cabelas in PA last month. Plenty of .223 and 12 Ga but not a single primer or percussion cap. 

You think that’s all bad, and it is, but try to buy percussion caps.  There’s been nothing, nada, zip plus when you can find someone selling them the asking price is $15./100 <_<

Runnings store near me had Federal SPP last month for $6,99/100   Picked up 2000 for a friend.   Heard they had CCI the week before.    Other than that a few SRP but nothing else     GW

Primers are going to cost a dime each. Pick up trucks are going to start out at $50,000 and go up from there. Gasoline is going to drop to $3.79 per gallon and stop there. Good Head Cheese is going to go off the charts due to availability after all the illegals that crossed the border are hording it. Toilet paper is going to stabilize, but we will go to a odd/even day system as to when you can take a dump. Life in the US is going to change. 

Cheerful Dude, not.  Make your preparations, get involved locally, soldier on.  Victory is an honest election or two away.  I am not certain any will be entirely honest, but there has been and is a sharp focus on it and it won't be as easy as last time.

Good thing I have some flintlock rifles, and a smooth-bore fowling piece. At least they can't hoard, and restrict, chert/flint....yet.

Oops...I may have given them an idea. :blink:  

I haven't seen a primer, of any kind, around here since 2020. The "sporting goods" cashiers, at wally-world, would not know a primer from a hot rock. 

Academy isn't any better. Some ammo, zero reloading inventory. 

Some of the ammo calibers, they have in stock, are ones I have never owned a firearm for. Good grief...257 Roberts, and no 30-06. :angry: 

Looks like I will have to use a slingshot, for a while, until this insanity is somewhat better. But, for all I know, there is a rubber-band shortage. :blush:

21 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

And Military Police. 

My nephew was an Army MP & when I visited him in April 2014 in Stuttgart he carried an M9. 

2 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Good thing I have some flintlock rifles, and a smooth-bore fowling piece. At least they can't hoard, and restrict, chert/flint....yet.

Oops...I may have given them an idea. :blink:  

I haven't seen a primer, of any kind, around here since 2020. The "sporting goods" cashiers, at wally-world, would not know a primer from a hot rock. 

Academy isn't any better. Some ammo, zero reloading inventory. 

Some of the ammo calibers, they have in stock, are ones I have never owned a firearm for. Good grief...257 Roberts, and no 30-06. :angry: 

Looks like I will have to use a slingshot, for a while, until this insanity is somewhat better. But, for all I know, there is a rubber-band shortage. :blush:

i was thinking the same till i realized i dont have enough caps - now im back to square one i think , 

Stopped at Sportsmans Whse in Chandler yesterday, they had a shopping cart full of CCI SP Magnum, LP and LR. You could only get 200 per person, Bonnie and I got 200 each. $5 something per 100. May have to go back today.

3rd trip, they still had SP magnum and LP, the guy at the counter was opening up about 8,000 Federal mixed primers. He said 3 days before they got 150,000 primers in. Still you could only get 200 per person per day.:D

Archived