SASS Wire Forum

Another SCAM

I received an email today telling me that $459.99 was being billed to my email account for a Norton Security suite.

If I did not place this order to call 1(804)902-7159 to cancel.

I had never heard of this before today.

I called the number and a red dot indian voice answered immediately.  He said that I had to fill out a cancelation form and started to give me a url to put into my browser.

I told him that I had never ordered this, I am not going to pay a cent and he has the invoice number, he can cancel it.

I shudder to think what would have happened if I had typed in his URL and gone to that site.

Duffield

I get that one all the time. They're going to charge my credit card for my Norton renewal, or for my McAfee renewal. Usually it says they're Amazon that's going to charge me. Four or five hundred dollars, or something like that.

I certainly would not call them and complain. I just ignore it. If it actually does show up on my credit card, I would complain to the credit card company.

Several years ago, when I was still dumb enough to use debit, a company charged my card when there was no money in the account. I went down to complain to the bank, because they paid the charge, which gave me a negative balance, and then they slapped a courtesy pay fee on for another 30 bucks. I told them I had never authorized this and they needed to get the money back. They told me that if I could convince the people that they had charged me unjustly, and that they refunded the money to the bank, the bank would do away with the courtesy pay fee.

I convince the thief to give back the money he stole? Yeah, like that's really going to happen.

So if somebody did charge my card for a - anything - they are stealing from me. Telling them that I did not order this and I am not going to pay for it is just a waste of my time. They are thieves. They are not going to give me back my money. The credit card company, on the other hand, will give me back my money.

I don’t acknowledge those emails, phone calls, or texts!  I try to be as vulgar and offensive as possible when one of these scammers manages to get me on the phone and then quickly and loudly hang up!!

Seems this crap is getting less frequent lately!!:lol:

I don’t use credit cards! I canceled them all more than fifteen years ago and my financial situation improved immediately AND dramatically.

I check my accounts every day, often two and three times a day.  I do have a debit card on one checking account, but on the three occasions that someone has tried to charge that account, I have called my bank and had those charges refused.  Only once have I had an issue with a phony charge where there was any problem at all and that was solved by shutting down the card and having another one issued.  That took all of a half an hour to drive over and pick up the new card.

Guess I have a pretty good bank.

I've been getting a bunch of these lately. Several for the Norton and McAfee. A few for hundreds from Amazon. The return address is usually a good tip off.

The scam phone calls are making me more nuts than I already was. We get on average 25 per day. I wish I could hunt them down.:ph34r:

Hmmm…have you recently bought anything from Best Buy, @Duffield, SASS #23454???

This very thing happened with me only it was for Trend Micro the day after I bought some stuff at Best Buy. That same day a false charge for Best Best “extended service” got charged to a credit card. I stopped that in its tracks, but I did call the number for the Trend Micro email as I has bought Trend Micro antivirus from Best Buy. An Indian guy answered. I asked about the charge and he transferred me. There were some clicks on the line then a guy with an even worse Indian accent answered: “Why are you bothering me?”

I said “Perhaps you are bothering me. I am calling about this Trend Micro bill of nearly $400.”

I immediately heard what sounded like a guy getting up from laying on a couch and clearing off a coffee table with a sweep of his hand then he said “Oh, excuse me…Yes, I am the one you want. Please give me your banking information so we can clear this up.”

I told him to go “jump” himself and hung up. 
I then called Best Buy and gave them hell. I don’t know if it did any good but I felt better. 

Every time I bought from Best Buy something weird happened with whatever card I used there. I think their system is corrupted or hacked. 
I no longer buy anything from them. 

Yeah, I’ve been getting an email bill for $400 from Geek Squad about every other day for a couple of weeks now

2 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I received an email today telling me that $459.99 was being billed to my email account for a Norton Security suite.

If I did not place this order to call 1(804)902-7159 to cancel.

I had never heard of this before today.

I called the number and a red dot indian voice answered immediately.  He said that I had to fill out a cancelation form and started to give me a url to put into my browser.

I told him that I had never ordered this, I am not going to pay a cent and he has the invoice number, he can cancel it.

I shudder to think what would have happened if I had typed in his URL and gone to that site.

Duffield

Watched a video on this scam today.  The url is a link to a pay service, that links to your banking.  It usually originates from the India/Pakistan area.

13 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Great option - my caller I.D. comes up Potential Spam.  I may miss someone nice now and then, but almost no solicitors or spammers get through. Your phone company may have the feature.

Just like @Rip Snorter, our new Samsung Galaxy A32 5G phones have a similar feature, and works great! ^_^

Snip-it_1650625984112.jpg.6905a6301eb0cfdcda95293d1adae98f.jpg

13 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The scam phone calls are making me more nuts than I already was. We get on average 25 per day. I wish I could hunt them down.:ph34r:

I honestly don’t even answer the phone anymore unless I recognize the number. If I don’t know it and it’s important they’ll leave a message 

11 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I honestly don’t even answer the phone anymore unless I recognize the number. If I don’t know it and it’s important they’ll leave a message 

Exactly how we operate now.

I silenced all calls coming in to my phone except for my contact list. As far as emails, most of those that say I owe money or have money for me go into my spam.

Calling that number back was your second scam then opening a URL that gave them your IP address to track Passwords .  They Now have your IP address (traceable to your location, phone number , and password info. Never ever call the number they give you or a link or website .

6 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Calling that number back was your second scam then opening a URL that gave them your IP address to track Passwords .  They Now have your IP address (traceable to your location, phone number , and password info. Never ever call the number they give you or a link or website .

You’re right! 
For my issue I never responded to the email, but I did call. Luckily my number was sold into prostitution for that act. 
What frosted me later is if had looked closer at the sender’s email address I would have seen that it said “microtrend…..” not trend micro. :unsure:
That very day I also removed trend micro and installed WebRoot. 

3 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

I meant to mention that. Very important. 

Archived