SASS Wire Forum

Looking to establish a value on an original 1873 Winchester.

Asa Smith

As the title says.

It is an original manufactured in 1889 by my search of the info available out there.

24" octagon barrel in 38-40 (38 W.C.F.) cambering with no special features.

This gun functions (tested with a primed empty case).

All parts there, dovetail for the magazine tube is loose in the bottom of the barrel (could be an easy fix).

Has been refinished and the marking are faint in some places.

Wood is all there and fits decent, has initials carved in the side of the butt stock, possibly by a kid or an illiterate, they are backwards or upside down, not sure which.

I would rate this gun in FAIR condition as per NRA standards.

The barrel is a "sewer pipe", very faint traces of rifling, may be shootable at cowboy ranges.

Needs to be checked over by a qualified gunsmith (not me) before attempting to fire it.

No idea what its worth, internet is all over the place on prices.

Any ideas?

Pictures for your viewing pleasure:

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

Pretty rough, I'd pass. What can you really do with it? It's not nice enough for a collector and you probably won't use it as your main match rifle. It will just end up sitting. Been there, done that. If is was in better condition maybe. 

Contact Gigi at Reata Pass Auction in Dewey, AZ. They sell old west guns in an online and in person auction and people get swept up in the auction fever. They do get 20% off the top but if someone is looking for a wall hanger for their ranch, this fits the bill. Other than that, I value it less than $1,000. 

I agree with Nostrum in today's market Boy Howdy start high and come down or look for a trade for something you always wanted. Now if you could find out who's initials BH are carved on it, that might make it very valuable. Say like Bill Hickock now you Talken big bucks. Good luck and good shoo ten.

BRB

No collector value buffed to death, re blued ,front sight altered, bad bore and stock damaged by carving I see these for around 700-8-00 But you never know.

Best Wishes

Thanks for all the input I plan on following up on some of the leads.

5 hours ago, McCandless said:

Refinished, the barrel stamps weak, with a Sewer Pipe" bore, I'd rate this only NRA "good".

NRA "Fair" is a lower grade than good, not sure this one would rate a good....

Thanks again,

Asa

I am sure it would have a story or two to tell if it could......neat old gun!!!

Here are a few original condition 71's that found there way home with me over the years......

IMG-0873.jpg

IMG-0874.jpg

5 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Looks like it was reblued, at some time.

Barrel is really rough. Lapping compound might help it a bit.

Cholla is correct $800- $900. Maybe less.

Definately reblued. Like mentioned before, whoever polished it before it was blued, got a little heavyhanded on the wheel.

I started buying and shooting original 73s and 97s when the real estate bubble burst in 2008 and the market was full of shooter-grade guns.  If deemed safe by a gunsmith, I would shoot BP loads in this gun all day long, but I don't need a short-stroke, slicker-than-baby-oil gun.  It likely shoots as well as a new Italin levergun.  The only thing that I recommend is putting in a new extractor if all else seems good.  In my area, a <20% finish or refinished 1873 is likely $1000-1200.

Archived