SASS Wire Forum

A Branded Gun Cart

Yul Lose

This gun cart was built for a shooter and his wife and they wanted it to reflect the Texas family ranching history by showing the various family cattle brands. My pard Trainwreck and his son did the laser layout and engraving and Double Diamond did all of the leatherwork. Notice the brands on both sides of the cabinet are branded on inlays. The lumber I used is African black limba. The steer skull drawing on the front of the chest is a drawing of a skull that was found on the family ranch a number of years ago and they wanted it included on the cart, it is lasered on an inlay also. Through dovetail and sliding dovetail joinery and mortise and tenons where needed were used. 

The trays feature an ammo tray with two SG shell box wells and room for R&P cartridges. Notice the finger notches on the tray dividers, all you have to do is fold the flaps back on a box of shells and drop it in the well and your all set. When the shells are gone lift up a tray and get another box of shells and exchange it for the empty box. Under the trays is an ammo strip bin that will hold 10 loaded or empty ammo loading strips. Pull a loaded one out shoot the stage and then lift the tray up and put the empty strip back where it came from and pull another loaded one for the next stage. There is also a small 6 pack soft sided cooler that fits in the bottom of the chest.

On the inside of the cabinet door there are 2 sets of holsters and a SG mop and brush holder. The locking bar to keep the long guns in place is locked in place in the down position with a rare earth magnet and then another magnet holds it in the up position when your pulling your long guns or putting them away.

The cabinet is held to the carriage with a hinge pin and is very easy to remove and reinstall.

6984B040-DC88-4AA9-B2BA-F97EAA4C3E3E.jpeg

40872A6B-90F7-4938-A039-0C779255394C.jpeg

221359EA-BBE4-40B3-84AB-708B501A2ED5.jpeg

B4E60CCF-A99D-447C-B517-0E161541111F.jpeg

0DB68193-3954-4B86-9972-2FB24871312F.jpeg

F24FBEEE-8036-4C44-8E7F-85A86A74B00F.jpeg

A0E0D565-C005-4E38-9A71-1822DAE9DC3F.jpeg

7D4A826C-17BA-4221-AC83-0CCDD8CE53FE.jpeg

62CAD882-CC32-4AC8-802F-C96836BE7D32.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Dang, Yul, how do you find time to shoot?  (or reload.  Or eat, sleep, all that other stuff).  :)

It ain’t easy finding time for that other stuff anymore. I’m shooting my first match in a couple of months up at Cajon on Saturday, probably shouldn’t but I have got to get away.

Incredible, as usual.

Open or closed. Since it’s in a cabinet and out of sight most keep them closed.

31 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yul, who makes those holsters? You just gave me an idea for my gun safe.

PS: That cart is another work of art.

PM sent.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:47 AM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Yul,

Don't you ever make anything less than a work of art?  :D

I guess building gun carts is my form of artistic expression. Exposed dovetail joinery to me is very artistic and I try to feature that in every cart. Even the carts with no embellishments on the chest front or other places I hope the joinery and wood that I use come across as art to some people. Thank you for all of the kind comments, everyone.

i think i understand - why make it if its not your next best work of art and function , i commend the results as always , if i thought id live long enough to really enjoy it i would commission one , but i suspect someone else would end up enjoying it , your work is art , and the integration of the items to make it function so well is half of what makes these so fantastic , i appreciate seeing them thanks for posting them 

Yul, did you see the article in today's NewsMax about the two deaths in Wisconsin caused by fractal wood burning.  I immediately thought of you.  Please do be careful. 

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Yul, did you see the article in today's NewsMax about the two deaths in Wisconsin caused by fractal wood burning.  I immediately thought of you.  Please do be careful. 

No didn’t see it, but I do agree fractal wood burning is dangerous. Every death that I’ve read about has been from home built burners with little thought given to user safety. I use a commercially built burner that is much safer. I didn’t use fractal burning on this cart.

Archived