SASS Wire Forum

I need a lite load

trooper jake

I need a lite load for 12 ga 7-8 shot and 3/4 oz load using either Clays or Winchester AA powder.

I am shooting a Coach Gun that is killing me with store bought Target ammo.

Clays Superlite shotshell:
Worked this out with a Hodgdon's tech on the phone.
AA or Remington Hull
Win 209 Primer
13.9 grains Clays (MEC #25)
grey wad
7/8 ounce shot
Lighter than a featherlite shell
Knocks 'em down every time
--Dawg 

What Dawg said, but I use plain "Clays" at 14 grains. Ellie likes  as well. 

20 minutes ago, trooper jake said:

I need a lite load for 12 ga 7-8 shot and 3/4 oz load using either Clays or Winchester AA powder.

I am shooting a Coach Gun that is killing me with store bought Target ammo.

I load with a MEC 27 bushing, I think it’s around 14gr. I’m using Clay Dot right now but I’ve used the same bushing for Clays, Red Dot and Clay Dot and can’t tell the difference. They all make a pleasant load with 7/8 or 3/4oz. shot and the appropriate Clay Buster wad.

Randy 

4 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

AA or Remington Hull
Win 209 Primer
grey wad
7/8 ounce shot
--Dawg 

^^^^This^^^^. I use this load too, same mec setup.  I also loaded 12gn Clays for an Uber-lite load. 

41 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

AA or Remington Hull
Win 209 Primer
grey wad
7/8 ounce shot
--Dawg 

That formula shoots the same with Clays and Extralite interchangeable with that Mec #25. I wonder about Clay Dot as well.

Just starting to try lighter SG shells.

Previous load was #28 bushing with Clays (15.2 gr), one ounce 7.5 shot, CB light pink wads, Remington STS hulls and primers.

Still have several thousand to shoot up.

New load is #27 bushing with Clays (14.4 gr), 3/4 ounce 7.5 shot, CB bright pink wads, Remington STS hulls and primers.

Both loaded on either a MEC Sizemaster or MEC 9000GN.

Note that I haven't run the new load over a chrono yet, the old load was a little over 1000 fps.

Just tried these at a recent match, worked well and no kick to speak of. Was careful to actually "aim" but didn't seem to slow things down. Did have a large bird throwing target that went down a little slower than expected but everything else was quickly dispatched.

SWMBO will try them this weekend to see if they meet her approval.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

3/4 Oz of shot, I use 7 1/2 and 11g Extra Lite. You can use clays too. A light load that always knocks 'em down if you hit 'em. Started to use 3/4 Oz to save on shot. You'll get 76 more shells/bag!

I use Clay Buster 3/4 oz wads - CB0175-12 with Clay Dot through a 25 mec powder bushing (which I measured as passing 13.8 gr on "my" Sizemaster).

These chronoed 1100fps for me out of an 18 inch barrel Stoeger Coach. 

Before the 3/4 oz wads became available I used a TGT12 wad w/ 1 oz of shot (which chronoed 1050 "for me"). 

I really couldn't tell the difference in performance or recoil between the two but like the man says ... you get a lot more shot mileage w/ 3/4 oz (and the "real" 3/4 oz was makes having a nice crimp easy). 

im loading clays or red dot at that same 13-14 grains with a 3/4oz of reclaimed shot , this is a soft shooting load but will knock down the targets long as you hit them , 

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

im loading clays or red dot at that same 13-14 grains with a 3/4oz of reclaimed shot , this is a soft shooting load but will knock down the targets long as you hit them , 

This topic pops up fairly often, on this site, and others wanting lite loads for youth or girlfriends. 

Of all the advice the 12 to 15 grains of Clays, and to a lesser extent Red Dot, a Claybuster 3/4 oz wad and 3/4 oz of shot is the dominate load suggestion. When my case of Lite ammo is finished, that is where I'll start. 

BTW, if you are so inclined, a black powder loading, under square on the powder works as well, from what I've been told. 

BB

3 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

This topic pops up fairly often, on this site, and others wanting lite loads for youth or girlfriends. 

Of all the advice the 12 to 15 grains of Clays, and to a lesser extent Red Dot, a Claybuster 3/4 oz wad and 3/4 oz of shot is the dominate load suggestion. When my case of Lite ammo is finished, that is where I'll start. 

BTW, if you are so inclined, a black powder loading, under square on the powder works as well, from what I've been told. 

BB

I used BP after shoulder surgery. More of a push tan a thump and easy to clean.

Several cowboys have listed some great "load recipes" above.  The item listed below made all the difference for my wife who was very recoil sensitive when she started shooting cowboy.  She almost quit over shotgun recoil.  Light loads, like the ones listed above really helped, but what really changed the game for her was the slip on butt pad listed below.  It has a layer of silicone gel inside like the material used in artificial limbs.  Once the sharp pain was gone, her shot gun became her favorite toy.

Kick Killer Slip-On Recoil Pad with Lace-Up Closure - Kick Killer® Recoil Pads (kick-killer-recoil-pads.com)

My load is almost the and as everyone here. 14grns of Clay's, Claybuster Lightning 7/8 oz wad, and 7/8 oz #8 shot. It's great in the double. 

But,  I've recently made an addition and an adjustment. 

My 7 year old started shooting. With 410 at $30 a box, not wanting to invest in a 410 set up for my Spolar $$$, along with that i was given 2 12ga single shot toppers to build him a gun that fits him I decided to stay with 12ga. I downloaded my 12ga recipe to a load light enough for him to shoot. I used 9.5grns of clays and the same lightning wad, but only 1/2oz of shot. I cut out cardboard discs using a 1/2" copper pipe sleeve fitting to take up the space in the wad. I later bought 1/4" and 1/16" cork wad fillers to replace the cardboard. It's 1/4" wad, the shot, and then the 1/16 wad so it seals the crimp. I bought a used Lee Load All to load his shells. I had to cut a bushings and fit them into other bushings to get the drops that small.  They're hysterically fun to shoot and watching him with his 12ga is awesome!

After loading these up for him I got to thinking about the cost of shot vs cork wads. I experimented and dropped my load down to 5/8 oz of shot using the cork wads and I'm seeing no difference in the knockdowns falling or the recoil. I'm getting 450 shells out of a 25# bag with my current load. At 5/8 oz I'll get 640 and the cork wads are a lot cheaper than the shot.  I'll eventually try to use a different wad but I buy my wads in 10k bulk so I have a ton of the lightning wads still. 

JEL

On 4/21/2022 at 10:11 AM, Waimea said:

Be an Outlaw.

Shoot SG off shoulder.

Try this, it is easier than you think to hit the targets and doesn't beat up your shoulder.  Just tuck the stock between your arm and side.

11 hours ago, John E. Law said:

My load is almost the and as everyone here. 14grns of Clay's, Claybuster Lightning 7/8 oz wad, and 7/8 oz #8 shot. It's great in the double. ...

By the way, WST powder can be used as well as Clays.  One of the bushings on my LoadAll throws 15gr so that's what I use.  Now using WST for .38's as well and will when I next reload 45acp.

16 minutes ago, Silver Rings SASS # 27466 said:

Try this, it is easier than you think to hit the targets and doesn't beat up your shoulder.  Just tuck the stock between your arm and side.

Most people will be terrible those first few shots.  But once you dial it in, good ol' muscle memory takes over.

I cut a bit off the stock on my coach gun and then rounded the edges so there were no sharp edges. Covered with period looking lace on recoil pad from Buffalo Arms. What a difference. Getting rid of those sharp edges on the buttstock made a big difference. I have these on my coach gun, Sharps, and 1895 Marlin.185206367_BuffaloArmsRecoilPad.thumb.jpg.09c34fbc56b1c53669d658eda08fbb82.jpg

14 hours ago, John E. Law said:

My load is almost the and as everyone here. 14grns of Clay's, Claybuster Lightning 7/8 oz wad, and 7/8 oz #8 shot. It's great in the double. 

But,  I've recently made an addition and an adjustment. 

My 7 year old started shooting. With 410 at $30 a box, not wanting to invest in a 410 set up for my Spolar $$$, along with that i was given 2 12ga single shot toppers to build him a gun that fits him I decided to stay with 12ga. I downloaded my 12ga recipe to a load light enough for him to shoot. I used 9.5grns of clays and the same lightning wad, but only 1/2oz of shot. I cut out cardboard discs using a 1/2" copper pipe sleeve fitting to take up the space in the wad. I later bought 1/4" and 1/16" cork wad fillers to replace the cardboard. It's 1/4" wad, the shot, and then the 1/16 wad so it seals the crimp. I bought a used Lee Load All to load his shells. I had to cut a bushings and fit them into other bushings to get the drops that small.  They're hysterically fun to shoot and watching him with his 12ga is awesome!

After loading these up for him I got to thinking about the cost of shot vs cork wads. I experimented and dropped my load down to 5/8 oz of shot using the cork wads and I'm seeing no difference in the knockdowns falling or the recoil. I'm getting 450 shells out of a 25# bag with my current load. At 5/8 oz I'll get 640 and the cork wads are a lot cheaper than the shot.  I'll eventually try to use a different wad but I buy my wads in 10k bulk so I have a ton of the lightning wads still. 

JEL

Another way to reduce the amount of shot that is a lot less work is pinto beans. My buddy adds beans to the wad cup to make light loads for his wife.

On 4/20/2022 at 5:05 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I load with a MEC 27 bushing, I think it’s around 14gr. I’m using Clay Dot right now but I’ve used the same bushing for Clays, Red Dot and Clay Dot and can’t tell the difference. They all make a pleasant load with 7/8 or 3/4oz. shot and the appropriate Clay Buster wad.

Randy 

I also use a mec 27 bushing with the grey 7/8 wad with excellent results 

i cannot disagree with the lace-on leather recoil pads , i use them on my shotguns as well , added a little extra foam padding but with the light loads i think i could dispense with them and not be unhappy , the combination of the two lets me ignore all irritation of the shotgun recoil - just not noticeable anymore 

2 hours ago, .44bang said:

I've used 7/8oz before as well and they are soft shooting. When I use them I load the following (taken from the Hodgdon book):

AAHS hull
Winchester primer
17.8 grains of Tightwad
CB0178 wad (this is the grey AA12L clone)
7/8oz of #8.5 shot
Published speed is 1250fps and pressure is 8600psi

Wow! 1250fps for SASS distance? Me? I'd drop that down to 14-14.5grs and get it around 850-950fps and save a ton of powder AND splatter. YMMV

59 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

Wow! 1250fps for SASS distance? Me? I'd drop that down to 14-14.5grs and get it around 850-950fps and save a ton of powder AND splatter. YMMV

I'm loading 13 grains of Titewad with 7/8 ounce of shot. Low recoil and no problem with knockdowns. Got that liad from Widder if I recall correctly...

Archived