SASS Wire Forum

Toyota Tacoma & Camry Recommendations needed

Personally, on a truck I prefer BF Goodrich All Terrain (A/T) tires. If you drive on dirt, gravel, sand or off road in general they are the best in my book. If you encounter mud then BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. 

If you are purely a road driver I have no recommendations for street truck tires. Oh, wait. Years ago I had General Mud and Snow radials on my 93 Ford F-150 and for street tires they were actually really good off road. 

On my wife’s Suburban we have been running Toyo Adventure tires and they are a good all around road tire and hold up well in snow, but you don’t have that problem in Florida. 

I hate Otto

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748 ,

How were the BF Goodrich All Terrain (A/T) tires as far as interior vehicle road noise? Our current Dunlop tires create an annoying humming sound.

That symbol on the dash means one of the tires is low on air. It could also be a bad sensor, but usually just low pressure. Check the tire pressures to see. If one is low, add air obviously, but it may take a bit for the light to go out. I've seen some take a couple of starts before they go out, however most will go out when you add air.

Howdy,

Honda crv just got new Goodyears last December.

I went thru winter and hardly spun a tire.....so eazy.

I really leaned to Pirelli but the 100 card from GY kinda made the deal.

Only drive street o course.

Tire Rack reviews all sorts of tires but the ratings were so close they

didnt convince me.....

Its good nuff to avoid wasting bucks on junk, I guess.

Best

CR

and there is a reset procedure that might be all you need???????

Sounds like the batteries in the TPM's are going bad they only last 7 to 10 years.  I have 2 vehicles with batteries going dead.  I will replace them when I buy new tires.

Until then I check my tires like in the old days before the TPM's.  I can buy Delco on line for the Buick fairly cheap.  Not so for the Kia.  People are keeping their vehicles longer so this will become more prevalent.

26 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

That symbol on the dash means one of the tires is low on air. It could also be a bad sensor, but usually just low pressure. Check the tire pressures to see. If one is low, add air obviously, but it may take a bit for the light to go out. I've seen some take a couple of starts before they go out, however most will go out when you add air.

22 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Honda crv just got new Goodyears last December.

I went thru winter and hardly spun a tire.....so eazy.

I really leaned to Pirelli but the 100 card from GY kinda made the deal.

Only drive street o course.

Tire Rack reviews all sorts of tires but the ratings were so close they

didnt convince me.....

Its good nuff to avoid wasting bucks on junk, I guess.

Best

CR

and there is a reset procedure that might be all you need???????

1048233471_Screenshot2022-04-20180240.jpg.d5280de03ca4620b26eaac464602bad4.jpg

311650726_Screenshot2022-04-20180251.jpg.535d3ab15876bfae6d6e82be89702cf8.jpg

874993165_Screenshot2022-04-20170709.jpg.90dd57eb673da7b8a6802d4beddabe4d.jpg

49 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748 ,

How were the BF Goodrich All Terrain (A/T) tires as far as interior vehicle road noise? Our current Dunlop tires create an annoying humming sound.

Can you get Uniroyal Tiger Paws? I got them for my Buick Encore. There’s no noise and they  were reasonably priced.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748 ,

There is some noise but it’s moderate it’s more of a drone. Goodyear Wranglers have a higher pitch. Had those for 4 months then gave them away. 

I recommend Michelins.  I have them on everything.  For offroad type/all terrain tires, Michelin does make one, but it's more modest in tread than its competitors.  If you only do primarily highway driving, the Michelin X LT A/S (all season) is what you want, not an all terrain.

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-x-lt-a-s

You can get cheaper tires but you won't find a better tire than Michelin.  They are the best in every category they seriously play in, besides all terrain or mud tires.  My fiance has all seasons on her Rav4 and I have the Pilot Sports on my car.  For all terrain type tires like I have on my truck, I have Goodyears, but they don't last as long, ride as smooth, or have as good of traction on dry and wet roads compared to all season tires, so they're a compromise.

Do you tow with that truck? I prefer LT rated tires to AT for wear on trucks I tow with. 

I also tend to buy tires at Walmart with road hazard. No matter where I go in CONUS I can find a Walmart for R&R

8 minutes ago, El Chapo said:

I recommend Michelins.  I have them on everything.  For offroad type/all terrain tires, Michelin does make one, but it's more modest in tread than its competitors.  If you only do primarily highway driving, the Michelin X LT A/S (all season) is what you want, not an all terrain.

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-x-lt-a-s

You can get cheaper tires but you won't find a better tire than Michelin.  They are the best in every category they seriously play in, besides all terrain or mud tires.  My fiance has all seasons on her Rav4 and I have the Pilot Sports on my car.  For all terrain type tires like I have on my truck, I have Goodyears, but they don't last as long, ride as smooth, or have as good of traction on dry and wet roads compared to all season tires, so they're a compromise.

I have run those Michelins on my old F-250 for years and plowed with them. For an all season they work well. They do not work at all in mud, even lite mud, the tread loads up instantly and you have slicks.

My only gripe is the mileage, only gotten 30K out of both sets with proper maintenance. I do tow about 1K a year and plow my own driveway, but I believe they claim 60K!  I'm trying some cheap MasterCraft now as I don't tow with it anymore and use it now as a spare rig and plow truck.

Tire pressure sensors and Toyota are pretty much a thing. Replace them with the tires. Once you do, they’ll have to be initialized. Aftermarket sensors don’t always work so well. 
laramie

Another thing that the light on the dash can indicate....

Our newer 4-Runner spare tire came equipped with the TPM and the spare (which had never been used) had lost enough pressure that the sensor read it as low enough to require a warning. Pumped it up, restarted the vehicle and voila the light went out.

We run Toyo Off Road LT/AT on both our 4-Runners and haven't noticed much road noise. For real noise, my F-350 with 10 ply offroad tires sometimes got annoying but when you needed to go in the mud they were worth their weight in gold (and price!). Now that ol Red has been retired to just pulling the 5th wheel it has Toyo HT/LT which are not near as aggressive or noisy but immediately bumped the gas mileage up by about 1-1.5 mpg.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I have run those Michelins on my old F-250 for years and plowed with them. For an all season they work well. They do not work at all in mud, even lite mud, the tread loads up instantly and you have slicks.

My only gripe is the mileage, only gotten 30K out of both sets with proper maintenance. I do tow about 1K a year and plow my own driveway, but I believe they claim 60K!  I'm trying some cheap MasterCraft now as I don't tow with it anymore and use it now as a spare rig and plow truck.

I believe they claim 50k, but I've never worn out a set of tires on my tow vehicle, they always age out first.

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748 ,

Great tires! Quiet, great traction and long life.

Been using them on my CJ-7  for over 25 yrs.

Love the BF Goodrich all terrain’s. All I ran on my last 2 trucks . I’ve just about worn out the factory tires on my 17 Ram and the factory Yokohama’s really weren’t bad but I’ll be replacing them with BF Goodrich 

Just replaced my original Goodyear Wranglers on my Ford F150 two weeks ago. Got 45,000 miles on them and they rode great, so that's what we went with again. I do not off road, but they were good in snow.

Archived