SASS Wire Forum

Vihtavuori N320 for cowboy loads

Waco Jim

I have 4 lbs of this N320 that I used for 40S&W loading.  I'm wonder if anyone is using this with .38 spl, 105 gr bullets for cowboy loads?  The info on their website does'nt tell me what I want to know.  I need a load that's equivalent to 2.8 gr of Clays with 105 gr cast bullets.  Anybody care to share load data?

50 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

3.3 grains of N320 is what I use in 38spl or .357 behind a 115 g and 125g

That's the ticket.

My favorite powder. Meters well, clean burning and gives low standard deviations with a proper crimp. Here's a link to the VV load data I worked up for them in 2005. With a lighter 105 grain bullet, you'll need to step up the charge .2-.3 to equal the 125 grain bullet velocities.

http://merlin555.free.fr/pn/Vihtavuori_Cowboy_Data.pdf

Hey Dan,

Been a long time. Good to see you on the wire.

I always used magnum primers with my cowboy loads to help with a more consistent powder burn. You can decrease your load by .2 with a magnum primer to achieve the same velocity as a standard primer.

My favorite 105 gr. 38 load is 4.0 grains of N320 with a Federal magnum primer and 4.2 with a standard primer. Loads for particular guns can vary due too cylinder gap, chamber diameter, bullet diameter and barrel length. Variations in manufactured brass and primers can also affect load data. My lowest deviations are with a 125 grain bullet with a magnum primer and 3.7 grains of N320. 

LH, yes it's been too long...(no pun intended).

And, you are correct, I should have listed the primer which is a Winchester small pistol magnum.   I don't use these for knock-downs so I try to keep the velocity between 680-700.  I use a 125 gr. bullet for knockdowns at least in this area.

And as always, check your loads with a chrono and never just guess at it.

Take care my friend.

Dan

Archived