SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero 4.6" vs 5.5" barrel

Blind Squirrel

I'm in the process of kitting up so I can join in the fun. I already have a New Vaquero SS with a 5.5" barrel. I am on the hunt for a mate for it. I am seeing some 4.6" SS Vaqueros, but nothing currently available with a 5.5" barrel. While I am not in a great hurry (I still have a couple of months before I will be able to get out to shoot), my pal Johnny Knight advised me "if you see one, you might want to scoop it up. No telling when another one may come along".

When it comes to the type of shooting that is being done for this group, how critical is the extra inch of barrel for accuracy? 

I suspect the shorter barrel could make for a faster draw, but getting into the game at 60, I am aware that I will never be a speed demon, so I don't see that as a factor between the two lengths.

It's not likely the barrel length will be the cause of misses.:P At least in my case! Mine and Ellie's are the 4.62's.

I have had all different barrel lengths from 3" to 7 1/2". The length doesn't really matter, just get what you like or feels best in your hands. I have a set of Ruger Vaquero Sheriff's models in 45 Colt with 3 1/2" barrels that are my favorites because they are really light.

It really comes down to what feels balanced in your hand. We don't do fast draw per set and that extra inch may only slightly affect your sight radius.

37 minutes ago, Doc Fill 'Em 67797 said:

I have had all different barrel lengths from 3" to 7 1/2". The length doesn't really matter, just get what you like or feels best in your hands. I have a set of Ruger Vaquero Sheriff's models in 45 Colt with 3 1/2" barrels that are my favorites because they are really light.

15 minutes ago, Hendo said:

It really comes down to what feels balanced in your hand. We don't do fast draw per set and that extra inch may only slightly affect your sight radius.

These post pretty much sums up my thoughts also.

Personally, I use 3.25" barrels on my Vaqueros.

One other thing..... don't let the age of 60 make you think you can't be fast.   Heck, when I turned 60, I hadn't even peaked.

Just turned 71 and still feel competitive.

I ain't a speed demon........ I'm a Warp Angel..... :lol:

Enjoy your game.

..........Widder

Sight radius can make a difference if you are shooting at long ranges. But at the ranges we shoot, the difference between a 4-5/8" and 5-1/2" is going to be insignificant.  Personally, I shoot one 7-1/2" Old Model Vaquero and one 5-1/2", both in .44-40, mainly because the longer one was the first one available in that caliber.  It will depend on what feels most comfortable in your hand, but I doubt you will be able to tell much difference.

I personally do not like longer barrels.  I really like short barrels.  I really don't like Rugers.  If Rugers were my only game, I'd go for 4.62 or 3.5.  Preferably 3.5 if I could find a pair.  I've just not been able to shoot Rugers well atall.

58 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

These post pretty much sums up my thoughts also.

Personally, I use 3.25" barrels on my Vaqueros.

One other thing..... don't let the age of 60 make you think you can't be fast.   Heck, when I turned 60, I hadn't even peaked.

Just turned 71 and still feel competitive.

I ain't a speed demon........ I'm a Warp Angel..... :lol:

Enjoy your game.

..........Widder

I agree with Widder, I'm 69 and like to think I'm still fairly competitive.  I have both barrel lengths and don't really see a difference. I currently shoot Bisley's in 5.5"

Randy 

I had 5.5" octagons installed on my Ruger's and I like the added weight.  Seems to make them shoot flatter.  In fact, they started life as 3.5" and I removed those shorter barrels to have the longer octagon's installed.

Totes

Thanks all!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for another 5.5" barreled one, but if I come across a 4.6" barreled one I will jump on it.

I don't think my age is a factor in speed. I think my age is a factor in the learning curve and getting the muscle memory down. I am also the type of person that

would prefer to shoot cleaner rather than faster. I believe speed will come with time, AFTER I make sure to master accuracy.

For you older guys, what are you using/doing so you can see the front sites clearly?

3 minutes ago, Blind Squirrel said:

For you older guys, what are you using/doing so you can see the front sites clearly?

I had my eye doc fix m up with some glasses that focus at about 2 ft from my face.   It helps me see the front sight

a little better for Pistols and Rifle.    

I don't use, nor do I have, a rear sight on my rifle.   Front bead only.

And I don't use anything on the shotgun.  No bead..... nothing.    I just slowly squeeze the trigger and hope I'm pointing in the

right direction.

.........Widder

I started with a 4 5/8" stainless Blackhawk, and a 7 1/2" blue Blackhawk, both .45's. After 30 years of this, I find I prefer 4 5/8" barrels. A several year Montana state champion swears by 5 1/2"ers. One of the fastest shooters in this game went to 7 1/2"ers a few years ago and said he's never going back. A lot of cross-draw shooters seem to prefer a longer barrel on the cross-draw side. At the distances we shoot, the longer sight radius of a longer barrel is a moot point - if you can't hit a 16" target at 7-10 yards with a 3" barrel, ya ain't likely to hit it with a 7 1/2"er either. Or an 18"er...

My main set of sixguns is a set of stainless OMV, one with the 5.5" barrel and one with the 4 5/8" barrel.  Back when I was totally uncivilized and only shot with my right hand, I put the shorter barrel in my strong hand holster and the longer in the cross draw, figuring the shorter barrel is easier to draw straight up.

Since I saw the light, and started shooting double dualist, I put the longer barrel on my right side with the thought that since I am primarily right handed, the shorter barrel will be easier to draw and reholster with my left hand.... works for me.

Same thing when I throw my 7.5" barrel Colt into the mix just for fun... I put the longer barrel on my right.

Matching handguns are boring... IMHO.  :D

2 hours ago, Blind Squirrel said:

would prefer to shoot cleaner rather than faster. I believe speed will come with time, AFTER I make sure to master accuracy.

A big regret of mine was NOT listening to some more experienced shooters in this game.

They told me to shoot as fast as I could. DON'T worry about misses to begin with. You can always slow down. It's harder to learn to speed up.

Also if you hit the edge of the target it's still a hit. No extra credit for hitting the center here.

I hope this helps you.

IMHO barrel length really comes down to personal preference, IOW, what "feels" right. It's a bit hard to explain but one day it was like Zen took over, the gun just felt like it was part of me. For me it was a 4 5/8 barrel. In Canada a 3" barrel is prohibited by law, too dangerous for mortals to use. I sold the 7 1/2" Vaquero I had, just didn't feel right. The whole reason for the long barrels was to burn black powder. The longer the barrel the higher the velocity. 

When I started shooting double duelist, I used a 5 1/2 in the off hand, only because it was easier to poke the longer barrel in the holster. With more experience, the 4 5/8 works just as well. 

But if the 7 1/2 fells better in your hands, use it. The main lengths are 4 5/8 5 1/2 and 7 1/2. There are others but not so common. I'm not sure why Ruger has 5 1/2 for their SAS pair in 45 and 4 5/8 for the 357 pair. I suspect for mounted riding and shooting, which uses 45, the longer barrel works better. In our game, length is not a performance advantage. Sight radius may be the only consideration.

In reality, having mismatched pistols is probably more authentic than having a matched pair. Even Rooster Cogburn had a pair of Navy Sixes as back-up for his SAA. You don't even need to keep them the same calibre, but mixing calibers like 45 Colt and 44-40 can get a bit interesting. 

BB

As you can tell from the answers, the only thing that differs, one does put you closer to the target.   Go to a shoot with whatever you have and shoot.  Somebody there will most likely have the other size and see what feels better in your hand.  Even if you only have 3 out the 4 weapons, just go and get started. 

i have a pair of 5.5s that i use both strong side as main match revolvers , i have a matching 4.75 that i use as a backup mostly , i like the longer sight radius but shoot the shorter about the same , i used to shoot a mismatched set of one of each in a cross draw setup and had no real problems , its all a mater of preference i think , but i will add that i think these to be the right tools for me , they are built strong and opperate smoothly , ive had no problems with mine at all for many years , 

9 hours ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

As you can tell from the answers, the only thing that differs, one does put you closer to the target.   Go to a shoot with whatever you have and shoot.  Somebody there will most likely have the other size and see what feels better in your hand.  Even if you only have 3 out the 4 weapons, just go and get started. 

My experience would support " Got to a shoot with whatever you have and shoot". 

For my first shoot I called upon a cousin and borrowed a shotgun and a rifle. I only had 2 handguns. This gets you in the game and with the people that can help you. I've bought several, perhaps more than several firearms from club members and like Dutch said, if I wanted to try a firearm, a simple ask was all I needed. I've reciprocated since. I've shared ammo, lent handguns and rifles, tried different guns, all part of the game. Like being on a cattle drive together, without the horses and the dust. 

The 1897 I borrowed for the first shoot would not cock every time, I had to stuff a pair of gloves in back of the gunbelt to get it tight enough, my 44-40 rifle ammo dented the targets, and I had fun. I apologized for the "Hot(ish)" ammo, and for the next meet was a bit better prepared. I don't use any of those original guns, and I think that's fairly typical depending on how you started. I know of one enthusiast that had been getting his cowboy kit together for years now, and still hasn't showed up at a meet. He wants everything perfect, cowboy shootings not about perfect. 

BB 

Archived