SASS Wire Forum

AK47 question

Alpo

I haven't fired one enough, and certainly haven't fired one recently, to know the answer to this.

Does the AK bolt stay back when the magazine is empty?

Reading GUNS FOR THE SOUTH. Alternative science fiction history story. And one of the main characters, in the middle of the battle, attempts to shoot one of the opforces.

"Caudell fired at the black man. His rifle clicked harmlessly. He’d fired the last round in his clip without noticing."

Now, if the AK does not lock back, this is correct. But if it does lock back, this is an author oops. And I don't know enough about Tovarich Kalashnikov's baby to know for sure.

And when you're hot and bothered you keep on pulling the trigger on a dry well regardless of bolt position.

Turtledove does a good job on most of alternative history.

You read the one where aliens invade during wwii yet?

Just depends on the mag you put in it , if it has a hold open follower , as soon as you pull the mag the bolt goes forward. Some safety’s have a notch cut in them so you can hold the op rod handle with the safety.

I had a Norinco that would hold the bolt back, but my friend's Romanian and Russian models did not, if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

But if it does lock back, this is an author oops.

He's got a oops in the next paragraph. Since Nate's rifle is empty, the blue-belly is about to stick him with a bayonet.

"Before he could thrust with the bayonet, a rebel landed on his back. The two men went down in a thrashing heap. The Confederate tore the Springfield from the colored man’s hands. He heaved himself up onto his knees, rammed home the length of edged steel that tipped the musket. The Negro screamed like a lost soul."

I'm fair certain that bayonets during the war of 1861 did not have edges. They were spikes. They had a point which would make a hole. Possibly they were triangular shaped which would make a hole that is a pain to close up. But they didn't have an edge.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I'm fair certain that bayonets during the war of 1861 did not have edges. They were spikes. They had a point which would make a hole. Possibly they were triangular shaped which would make a hole that is a pain to close up. But they didn't have an edge.

Some of the edges on those triangular bayonets were fairly sharp.  But, yeah, he goofed.  Unless it was a Zouave's musket.

Black troops, and I think all the Zouaves was white guys. And it's specified as a Springfield, and I thought the Zouaves had Remingtons.

Depends on the rifle. The 1841 had a sword bayonet. A few others did also. European imports etc.

https://www.horsesoldier.com/products/edged-weapons/bayonets/37287

I get so educated on this site. Thanks!

Tell the author AKs take magazines, not clips. :D

Biggest problem I have with the dialogue if they keep calling the selector switch the change lever. Every time I see it I read it as charge lever, and it confuses me for a moment.

And at one point (another oops) they have the safety on and the Yankees is close, so the sergeant yells to them to move the change lever two clicks, and they mow down that Yankee cavalry. Ratatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatat.

If you've got a AK on safe, and you move that lever two clicks, you are on semi. HK goes safe, one, full. But AK goes safe, full, one.

1 hour ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

I get so educated on this site. Thanks!

You learning about 19th century US military edged weaponry, or AK-47s?

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

If you are not familiar with Turtledove, or alternative history, this is one of my favorite short stories of his.

https://eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

I've read some of his stuff. But that one I had never seen. Very good story.

16 hours ago, Alpo said:

You learning about 19th century US military edged weaponry, or AK-47s?

I’ve never fired an AK47 or really even handled one. 

On 4/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, Alpo said:

Biggest problem I have with the dialogue if they keep calling the selector switch the change lever. Every time I see it I read it as charge lever, and it confuses me for a moment.

And at one point (another oops) they have the safety on and the Yankees is close, so the sergeant yells to them to move the change lever two clicks, and they mow down that Yankee cavalry. Ratatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatat.

If you've got a AK on safe, and you move that lever two clicks, you are on semi. HK goes safe, one, full. But AK goes safe, full, one.

Change lever? That’s when you realize the author is a poor researcher.

21 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Change lever? That’s when you realize the author is a poor researcher.

In the story, South Africans have come back through time to make sure that the Confederacy wins the war. It is possible that the South African term for a selector switch is change lever. I don't know. I have only met one South African in my life, and that was long before I had anything to do with machine guns or AK-47s, so it never occurred to me to ask her. :P

On 4/20/2022 at 10:32 AM, Alpo said:

I've seen it called a safety lever more often, but change lever makes sense.  Maybe that is a direct translation from the Afrikaans.

I'm trying to recall the section of the book.  I don't recall the 47th in a situation where they"mow down Yankee cavalry." I do recall the line about making sure it's 2 clicks so they are not in full auto.  Then later Caudell switching to full auto.

Archived