SASS Wire Forum

24/7 Advertising

Do you ever get tired of being pimped 24/7?

I was getting gas today and these new pumps now start blaring ads from a video screen and speaker as soon as you lift the nozzle.  It was so intrusive that I had to get back in the car to get away from it. Which got me to thinking of all the advertising we’re now constantly subjected to. 

Pop up ads that obscure your TV screen during the program.

Animated/video ads that run while trying to reading an article online. And those ads that constantly pop up making the page jump around while reading an article. It’s like staring into a strobe light. 

Commercial interruptions every 5-6 minutes that last 5-6 minutes whether it’s tv or radio.

Ear splitting ads on the jumbotron at the stadium.

Ads on the screen at drive-ups at the bank, car wash, you name it. 

Ads while on hold for the “next available representative”.

Ads behind players at the plate, infield or any other wall. Sponsor names on every handrail or any other surface while interviewing a player/coach. 

Don’t get me started on auto racing or any other motorsport. 

Buying a product or service and getting unlimited spam in return. Hello airlines, Home Depot and NRA…

And worst of all, paying a fee to access programming, news et al that bludgeons us with still more advertising.  EDIT: Just saw in the Wall Street Journal that Netflix is exploring a version with ads.

Reminds me of the street hustlers I used to encounter when living in NYC in the 70’s. Please add yours if you want. 

:angry:

Me too. So sick of it and I do not watch regular TV. 

The 76 station I go to has ads and some goonboy announcing “Cheddar News” like someone popped an ice cube in his drawers and he spews all sorts of inane BS. 
On Amazon they have shows provided by IMDB that play a few ads during a 40 minute show. Even those are getting downright annoying. 

I refuse to look at news feeds that have lots of ads between the newsprint. 

It’s just crazy. 

I am waiting for ads to be personalized like they were in that movie Minority Report. Your eyeball gets scanned and “Wallah!” Personalized ads…good gawd!

my failing heath has me watching TV just about all day   some cable shows seem to be 50% ads 

I know i have seen a  few ads over a millions time 

The second benefit to hearing aids is that you can turn them off.  In restaurants and bars, I pick seats with no sightline on the screens.  We gave up TV fifteen years ago, ex occasionally our own movies, and don't miss it.

That is one of the reasons I have had a subscription to SiriusXM for the last decade or so.  I listen to music most of the time and it's all ad free.  I love it and I'm willing to pay the subscription fee for that.  Also, we only watch movies on our TV, since we live out of town and don't get a good over the air signal.  We're happy with that.

Years ago my mom used to say, "Those commercial are why we have FREE TV.

She made sense back then but NOW we pay for TV AND get commercials!! It's crazy!:wacko:

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Years ago my mom used to say, "Those commercial are why we have FREE TV.

She made sense back then but NOW we pay for TV AND get commercials!! It's crazy!:wacko:

I remember when I paid extra to have cable. The purpose was to have those extra channels of NO commercials. 

Now we pay for ads and propaganda, targeted ads, purpose built news channels...it's nonstop human programming.

Turn off all that crap. Go out, get some fresh air. Easier said than done but it helps, if even for a few minutes.

14 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I remember when I paid extra to have cable. The purpose was to have those extra channels of NO commercials. 

Now we pay for ads and propaganda, targeted ads, purpose built news channels...it's nonstop human programming.

Turn off all that crap. Go out, get some fresh air. Easier said than done but it helps, if even for a few minutes.

That's why my sewing machines get more use than our television.

4 hours ago, watab kid said:

seems like my computer is signaling what ive sought out and putting adds in my face 24/7 these days so yes - i do get real tierd of it all , 

If you use DuckDuckGo instead of google the ads disappear for the most part.

On 4/20/2022 at 4:28 AM, Dirty Dog Doug said:

my failing heath has me watching TV just about all day   some cable shows seem to be 50% ads 

I know i have seen a  few ads over a millions time 

I too end up watching a lot of tv because of health issues. But I also have ad free streaming I can get to as well as Dish, when I can find something I want to watch that is. WAY to many ads, I realize the have to pay for the programming but...

If one gets bored... turn off the sound and watch the commercials.
The body language alone is very educational.

It appears most ads are either sexualized, or appealing to Really Stupid (read: everyman).

I run AdBlock-Plus on my Firefox browser.
It does an admirable job of blocking a huge number of ads.
I do have to whitelist some sites I frequent, as they refuse to load unless ads are unblocked.

On 4/20/2022 at 5:52 AM, Blind Squirrel said:

On many pumps you can silence them by pressing the second from the top right button.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lifehacks/comments/5szod1/hit_this_button_to_silence_the_ads_at_the_gas_pump/

I did that for the first time today at the same pump that prompted my rant. Thank you!

Archived