SASS Wire Forum

MVA sights

I ordered my first one, a #101 Soule, for a Marlin 1895 on July 29th, 2020. The sight arrived in 24 days, but had the wrong base and screws. It was almost seven weeks before the correct base & screws were delivered. Apparently, my email about the wrong mounting hardware was never communicated to production. When I finally called and talked directly to Jim Gier, he put it at the top of his list and had the proper base out to me in a couple days.

Ten weeks ago yesterday, I ordered a Vernier sight, a #130, for a Chiappa Little Sharps. I finally shot off an email to Cheryl about it Sunday, and talked to her today. No specific reason this time, just the usual "We can't get raw materials", and "We can't get people to work", that have become popular excuses lately, but they put it at the top of the list Monday, it was allegedly finished today, and should be mailed out to me tomorrow. I seriously doubt any "supply chain" problem was resolved in the past two days - I think it's far more likely the order was deferred for some reason, or just misplaced... again. FWIW, lead time is stated to be 4 - 6 weeks.

Great sights, but seemingly sloppy office or production management. :mellow:

Charlie Harley had quite an extended wait on his too, back when I ordered my first one. He placed the order in June, and didn't get the sight until at least September, maybe October. He didn't go into details, but said he wouldn't order from them again. :(

When I worked for the state, I used to drive by that place a couple times a week traveling from Helena to Bozeman, it's only 500 yards off the Interstate - I should have stopped in and asked for an informal tour. 

One nice thing about MVA sights is that you can install the staff on multiple bases.  I have 2 staffs and 3 bases. The machining tolerances are so good that there is zero loss of accuracy interchanging staffs.

10 weeks, 4 days, but it's here finally. :) Although my other one back in July of 2020 arrived in 24 days, by the time I finally received the correct base, it was 11 weeks, 1 day. :mellow:

The rear screw hole in the base on this one was drilled slightly, but visibly, off center toward the front in the countersink, and the screw wouldn't seat in the countersunk hole without excessive force, but chucking the screw in the ol' Jet lathe and taking ~.006" off the head diameter mostly cured that. Actually, since the holes lined up, it would be more correct to say the countersink was bored slightly off center of the hole - I'll provide feedback to them about it.

I should be able to hit a bottlecap at 150 yards now... :lol:

LittleSharps.jpg

The wind let up to a light breeze and it warmed up, so I stepped out back yesterday with a couple partial boxes of Eley ammo. I dialed it in with Eley semi auto benchrest, then shot the last five rounds of Club, which went into a 3 1/8" group at 150 yards. Not bad for a 5 1/2 pound plinker with a stock brass dot front sight off'n the hood of an old pickup in a light cross breeze. :)

Archived