SASS Wire Forum

Would'ja?

Blind Squirrel

I might do it if I had not seen the video. I only watched about halfway through the first one, but I was expecting the pipes to melt in two. I'm sure that would cause a catastrophic failure.

51 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Wouldn't the ram jet work better with the intakes in front?

Not that this isn't cool. I'd run it

Rocket motors are simpler

27 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

And you know what she is saying….Is the life insurance paid….

Texas Lizard

She pays it religiously.

Check out Cap'n Jack McClure and his hydrogen peroxide rocket go kart!!

https://www.dragzine.com/features/captain-jack-mcclure-still-a-rocketing-sensation-at-91/

11 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Check out Capn Jack McClure and his hydrogen peroxide rocket go kart!!

https://www.dragzine.com/features/captain-jack-mcclure-still-a-rocketing-sensation-at-91/

6 second 210 MPH dragster go kart!! :o

2 minutes ago, Blind Squirrel said:

6 second 210 MPH dragster go kart!! :o

He's run 5.90s at 228 mph!!

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Combustion chamber,  venturi, exhaust nozzle. 

A ramjet is just an inlet and pipe with fuel injected. Like a chimney fire that draws in air and puts out thrust.

Gotta look into this guys channel....ANOTHER rabbit hole

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

He's run 5.90s at 228 mph!!

I probably would have if I hadn't seen that speed. In a go cart? :o I've always dreamed of driving a NASCAR on a track (ALONE, not in a race). I don't know it I'd have the cajones to push it to 200 mph but it would be fun to give it a whirl.

JHC

11 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Nah. The possibility that I might die doesn't bother me much.  Falling into the hands  of the Medical profession scares me spitless!

I'd still run it!  But I'm an adrenaline junky.

I used to drag race.  I’ve run over 200 mph in a dragster.  It was fast, but almost too easy. The car had been over 250, but we never had enough engine or the money to go that fast.

I’ve also ridden a motorcycle over 200 mph. That was more than exciting!! Nearly twenty years later, I’m not sure if I’d do it again, but I wouldn’t hesitate in a car.

I’m worse than just an adrenaline junky! I’m a natural speed freak!!  I’ve been over 100 mph on/in an unlimited go kart and I once drove a friend’s drag boat at over 117 mph.

I’d happily ride a space shuttle just for the speed of it!  A ride in an SR71? SIGN ME UP!  Whichever fighter jet? Where’s my suit and helmet??

9 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I probably would have if I hadn't seen that speed. In a go cart? :o I've always dreamed of driving a NASCAR on a track (ALONE, not in a race). I don't know it I'd have the cajones to push it to 200 mph but it would be fun to give it a whirl.

JHC

I got to ride in one in Milwaukee, we went 140 and it didn't feel all that fast. Took our Harley around a track at 80 and it felt like I could get off and walk. Likely different with others screaming right next to you however!

On 4/19/2022 at 10:07 AM, Texas Joker said:

Wouldn't the ram jet work better with the intakes in front?

Not that this isn't cool. I'd run it

In the first video he is using the valveless pulse jet engines, not ram jets. Like a ram jet they have no moving parts. However, a valveless Pulse Jet produces thrust from both the intake and exhaust ports. The most common design for a valveless pulse jet uses a U shaped design.

In the second video the cart is powered by a valved pulse jet engine. This design does not require the intake to face forward. However, most valved pulse jets have the intake facing forward. 

On 4/19/2022 at 10:58 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not really. If you want the ability to throttle up and down a rocket motor gets very complicated.

A valveless pulse jet only has one moving part and that is the valve that controls the fuel delivery. It only uses a spark plug to initially start the combustion action. After that the combustion is self sustaining. More fuel equals more thrust. Turn off the fuel and the engine shuts down.

Thanks Dave, been years since I played with little airplanes, was getting into building simple jets. 

That wubwubwub reminded me of a plane design that was essentially a pipe, wing and control surfaces with a couple servos for control with a fuel tank

Archived